Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:25:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Snooker 2019

Started by dr beat, January 12, 2019, 03:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Oh well, congrats to the Judder.

Time to watch THE final frame again:
https://youtu.be/78rgfQYDjxo

Still tense as fuck, even after all these years.

biggytitbo

poo

Me Dad and Dr Oetker's finest sat here sober staring at Egg Wallace talk about tea and wondering what the fuck.

BlodwynPig

Looking forward to watching this when I get back home at 6pm (Canada time). Yesterday's Trump dominance. I'm expecting a Higgins fightback today.

imitationleather

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 06, 2019, 08:43:02 PM
Looking forward to watching this when I get back home at 6pm (Canada time). Yesterday's Trump dominance. I'm expecting a Higgins fightback today.

I do hope you're watching the 2011 final.

BlodwynPig

Puce Moment

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 06, 2019, 07:40:14 PM
Oh well, congrats to the Judder.

Time to watch THE final frame again:
https://youtu.be/78rgfQYDjxo

Still tense as fuck, even after all these years.

Watched it again - didn't mean to but it's like Die Hard on Xmas Eve - you just get sucked in. I watched this LIVE in hospital - the entire children's ward were up watching it on a TV in the nurse's break room. It is in the top 10 best night's of my entire life. My family are irish so of course I wanted Taylor to win, but I'm also a ginge and loved the idea of one of US being a sporting behemoth.

Anyway, an enjoyable final and Trump was great, but I do feel a little like they have manufactured this idea of a 'best ever' final. Yeah, amazing high breaks, and Trump is LEDGE and fuck me almost two 147s. But it was a real cunt off with little stakes for anyone other than those Higgins monsters and that Human Centipede of shit boyband check suits.

imitationleather

Quote from: Puce Moment on May 06, 2019, 11:35:36 PM
I do feel a little like they have manufactured this idea of a 'best ever' final. Yeah, amazing high breaks, and Trump is LEDGE and fuck me almost two 147s. But it was a real cunt off with little stakes for anyone other than those Higgins monsters and that Human Centipede of shit boyband check suits.

Well, quite. I also don't see how anyone could ever say a final which ended half an hour into the fourth session could ever be described as the best ever. Once Trump pulled ahead its spectacle as a contest evaporated. There wasn't even any kind of sustained comeback to keep it interesting. Just amazing displays of skill isn't enough to make it a classic match.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Was good as it was a player breaking through to another level in the most important time and way versus one of the games greats. Andy Murray's first Wimbledon win springs to mind.

Even though the result wasn't close it was kept tense by the prospect of the quality of his opponent and the lingering threat of mentally capitulating.

poo

sevendaughters

I kind of checked out during the semis actually. Trump and Selby as the top non-Ronnies is a bit Corporate Snooker but they are super players and they should have a nice little rivalry for a few years.

BlodwynPig

Looking forward to Day 3 of the final. Couldn't find a stream of Day 2 last night so will pay subscription fee today.

biggytitbo

Ever seen this? https://youtu.be/BOhGxjVhvz0

Fastest 147 ever recorded, 30 seconds faster than Ronnie's.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 18, 2019, 07:59:39 PM
Ever seen this? https://youtu.be/BOhGxjVhvz0

Fastest 147 ever recorded, 30 seconds faster than Ronnie's.

Didn't realise I was being filmed!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Can he do it on a wet January evening in Stoke?

Blue Jam

Been off werk today because I am ill and I allowed myself to get sucked into that "What is this 80's pattern?" thing that's gone viral. I immediately thought "That's the opening credits to CBBC's Alphonso Bonzo isn't it?" I checked, only to find out it isn't... but I did learn that in the final episode little Billy Webb's hands were played by a 14-year-old Ronnie O'Sullivan:

https://youtu.be/_aMo4M5xc5A

It's not quite up there with The Clydeside Classic, but cor, I used to love this show and have no memory whatsoever of this. I had also forgotten how sinister Mr Bonzo himself was... and yes, that is him in 23 Daves' avatar...

Blue Jam

...oh yes, and I got a high break of 15 on Saturday- brown, blue, pink, was gutted the black was tight on the cushion. After about another ten years of practice I should be ready to take youse on in a CaB snooker meet.

Blue Jam

Anyone watched this on Amazon Prime? I would but I'm not sure I can handle the EXTREME BAD LANGUAGE:

Serious question: Has there ever been a non-fiction book about snooker that's worth reading? I'm looking for some holiday reading but don't fancy a whiny self-pitying autobiography, something tawdry and unauthorised would be better.

Morrison Lard

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 15, 2019, 03:26:50 PM
Anyone watched this on Amazon Prime?
Watched that a while ago.
It's so poorly produced it makes Cruising With The Stars look like Frost/Nixon.

Not sure I recall there being that much EXTREME BAD language, but there were some Sunday Sport birds waving their tits about,
so maybe not one to watch with the kids on a Sunday afternoon.

Jim looks off his fucking nut for most of it, unsurprisingly.

biggytitbo

Maybe he'd just done some crack with Kirk Stevens?

Flouncer

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 15, 2019, 03:26:50 PMSerious question: Has there ever been a non-fiction book about snooker that's worth reading? I'm looking for some holiday reading but don't fancy a whiny self-pitying autobiography, something tawdry and unauthorised would be better.

Clive Everton's book, Black Farce and Cue Ball Wizards, is an engaging and well written history of the modern game. It gets well into the behind the scenes politics side of things as well as the game's characters and important moments on the table; it charts the transformation of the game from the days of Joe Davis, through its rise as a televised sport and into the game we know and love. Fantastic stuff. He does a bit of autobiographical stuff but it's primarily about the game rather than him. It's a really enjoyable read.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 15, 2019, 03:26:50 PM
Serious question: Has there ever been a non-fiction book about snooker that's worth reading?

Blue Jam

Cheers guys, I like to travel light so I might get Everton's book on the Kindle and read the Higgins biog when I get home.

Blue Jam

Puce Moment

From the greatest sport to the shittest in one move. Bravo doughboy!

Blue Jam

Quote from: Puce Moment on June 20, 2019, 07:17:22 PM
From the greatest sport to the shittest

I don't know- Robbo is trying his best to outdo him here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/nr147/status/1141064958236602369

Fair play to ya Robbo, you endearing geek...

Snooker players do seem to love their golf though- hitting balls into holes with sticks, same difference innit?

Blue Jam

Damn, I'm getting snooker withdrawal symptoms. I'm going to have to get a Eurosport pass for the Riga Open aren't I? James Cahill beat Jimmy White 4-0 in the qualifiers, his cockiness levels must be through the roof right now.

Meanwhile, the Snwcer World Cup starts tomorrow, so here's a sexy action shot of Ding:

Blue Jam

Flouncer, thanks so much for recommending Clive Everton's book Black Farce and Cue Ball Wizards, that's been my holiday reading and I've really enjoyed it. I especially liked the description of Mark Williams as "a laid-back, uncomplicated Welsh Valley boy".

Riga Masters kicks off today:

James Cahill may be playing Mark Williams in the first round- The Camp Crusader vs the Uncomplicated Haribo-Muncher, I almost wish I was at home and sat watching Eurosport...

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Great excuse for a night out in the old town. Just watch out for those scam lapdancing clubs guys. Yeah, looking at you >Every Single One of Them<

imitationleather

Have CID given Martin Gould his passport back yet?