Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:00:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Started by bgmnts, January 12, 2019, 05:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

It's coming out later this month and fuck me it looks brilliant, fair play to Capcom.

Just downloading the 30 minute timed demo now. I wonder how much it will divert from the original character, story and setting wise.

I don't know if anyone will concur but I put RE2 up there in the pantheon of video games so if they can just deliver on this then it may even be better than REmake, an already exemplay Resident Evil game.

biggytitbo

Is this 30 or 60fps on the base PS4? I'm tempted to get this when it comes out as it looks amazing, but I'll probably resist until it drops in price.

popcorn

This will probably be quite good, therefore it won't be very funny when I play it.

biggytitbo

You could always play it naked if you want a chuckle.

bgmnts

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 12, 2019, 05:23:39 PM
Is this 30 or 60fps on the base PS4? I'm tempted to get this when it comes out as it looks amazing, but I'll probably resist until it drops in price.

I'm playing it on the Xbone, no idea on the frame rate sorry.

Bazooka

Quote from: popcorn on January 12, 2019, 05:27:59 PM
This will probably be quite good, therefore it won't be very funny when I play it.

It will be funny if we watch you play it.

Ferris

Quote from: Bazooka on January 13, 2019, 12:02:11 AM
It will be funny if we watch you play it.

I was terrified by the squelching polygons of the '90s original, and could only play RE4 in the daytime with the curtains open. No way will I be able to handle this, alas.

Bloody loved the original although even now, just the noises of the menu blips put me in a state of childish fear.

Spoon of Ploff

This does look great, but am I going to have to buy a set of blackout curtains because the game is soooo dark that any ambient light at all in the room will overwhelm anything on the screen?

popcorn

Hope they keep the paedo references in, and the Resident Evil Rap. (The RE2 rap is my favourite one.)

Dannyhood91

I like Mr Xs hat. He looks very handsome in it. Did he have one in the original? It's years since I've played it. Buying this for the handsome boy in the hat.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Dannyhood91 on January 13, 2019, 11:00:14 AM
I like Mr Xs hat. He looks very handsome in it. Did he have one in the original? It's years since I've played it. Buying this for the handsome boy in the hat.
Just had the coat, I think, as I remember his bald bonce.

I'll probably buy this, but a bit nervous as the main series lost my interest after four. Too much action shooting, not enough being scared shitless by distant sounds of shuffling zombie hordes. I did play the second "RE Revelations" a while back, though, and it felt much more like it. If it's that, but better, then I'll be a happy, terrified camper.

popcorn

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 13, 2019, 11:06:53 AM
I'll probably buy this, but a bit nervous as the main series lost my interest after four. Too much action shooting, not enough being scared shitless by distant sounds of shuffling zombie hordes.

Sounds like someone didn't play RE7!

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: popcorn on January 13, 2019, 11:12:16 AM
Sounds like someone didn't play RE7!
Tried it, didn't really work for me, for whatever reason. Perhaps the first-person perspective made it feel "less" of a RE game.

magval

RE2 seems to have ported the inventory system from RE7 wholesale.

bgmnts

Quote from: magval on January 13, 2019, 11:32:15 AM
RE2 seems to have ported the inventory system from RE7 wholesale.

Indeed, would have been ace if thwy could have somehow implemented the brilliant suitcase inventory management system from RE4. I spent most of the game organising my items there.

Does anyone think will follow the exact same story beats as tbe original or will it take liberties? Any news on whether it will have the Claire A-Leon B/Leon A-Claire B system?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: bgmnts on January 13, 2019, 02:22:57 PMDoes anyone think will follow the exact same story beats as tbe original or will it take liberties? Any news on whether it will have the Claire A-Leon B/Leon A-Claire B system?
I'd imagine there will be a bit more of it, in terms of the story. How long was the original? Four or five hours for each scenario?

magval

No, Scenario B was about half the length of A.

Resident Evil 7 only had about 8 hours in it. If they're smart and confident they should keep this lean.

Thursday

I think I heard they were sort of merging Scenario's A and B into one. The way they did it in the original always seemed a bit weird to me. Unless my memory is off, it effectively meant you did a lot of the exact same things as Leon and Claire first though first time through, and it wasn't until the B scenario that you saw the diverging paths.

So Claire's path to the police station in the A scenario is the same as Leon's A scenario.

Consignia

Claire A-Leon B and Leon A-Claire B follow roughly the same beats, although they do have quirks in each route that made them worth going through. IIRC, the former path is probably the most complete, and has the best difficulty progression. It was something that really endeared me because it felt like four games in one, and thus great value for money. I know it wasn't really, but it did feel like it at the time.

Ferris

Quote from: Thursday on January 13, 2019, 03:35:37 PM
I think I heard they were sort of merging Scenario's A and B into one. The way they did it in the original always seemed a bit weird to me. Unless my memory is off, it effectively meant you did a lot of the exact same things as Leon and Claire first though first time through, and it wasn't until the B scenario that you saw the diverging paths.

So Claire's path to the police station in the A scenario is the same as Leon's A scenario.

I thought that was a really clever idea in the original. Still do, to some extent.

Mister Six

Yeah it was a lovely design idea, especially as they had absolutely no need to bother, given that the game was going to sell a ton anyway. Still not sure who repaired and refilled the water tower between games though.

Has anyone played the demo yet? Was going to give it a whirl last night but then I saw you could only play it through once, the cheeky bastards, and figured I should wait till I was properly awake and could take it all in.

The trailer suggests that it has most of the plot beats - including paedo serial killer police chief - and a few new setpieces, at least.

Consignia

I might give the demo ago, but it doesn't look my cup of tea. I was a big fan of the original and RE4, but this looks like it's a far darker (in terms of lighting) game, which doesn't really appeal, and looks to be filled with jump scares and the like. I would have liked a remake of RE2 in style of RE4, i.e. camp. But I'm probably in the minority on that one.

Ferris

Quote from: Consignia on January 13, 2019, 04:40:10 PM
I might give the demo ago, but it doesn't look my cup of tea. I was a big fan of the original and RE4, but this looks like it's a far darker (in terms of lighting) game, which doesn't really appeal, and looks to be filled with jump scares and the like. I would have liked a remake of RE2 in style of RE4, i.e. camp. But I'm probably in the minority on that one.

I agree, but only because I'm a fraidy-cat.

bgmnts

In regards to the darkness, how else are they going to make it a horror  game? The old REs were scary because of the fixed camera and tank controls, as well as limited resources and tough enemies etc.

With seamless controls and a good, free camera, what else can they do?

Thursday

None of the Resi games have ever been scary though.

St_Eddie

Quote from: bgmnts on January 13, 2019, 06:22:19 PM
In regards to the darkness, how else are they going to make it a horror  game? The old REs were scary because of the fixed camera and tank controls, as well as limited resources and tough enemies etc.

With seamless controls and a good, free camera, what else can they do?

I don't agree with this at all.  I always felt that the mix of warm, everyday environments and horrible monsters only served to enhance the horror and sense of unease in the original.  It's the juxtaposition of the mundane and comforting, suddenly being made, via circumstance, to be nightmarish and scary.  If the lighting in the remake of Resident Evil 2 is dark the whole way through, then I'm going to be very disappointed.

I'm hoping that at some point, you'll be able to restore power to the police station, which would be the best of both worlds; your first time exploring the police station is shrouded in darkness and fear of the unknown but once you've fully explored the map and have to do a lot of backtracking, you'll be able to restore power and therefore, lights to the environment, allowing a chance of ambience and an easier time, navigating

bgmnts

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 13, 2019, 07:11:15 PM
I don't agree with this at all.  I always felt that the juxtaposition of warm, everyday environments and horrible monsters only served to enhance the horror and sense of unease.  If the lighting in the remake of Resident Evil 2 is dark the whole way through, then I'm going to be very disappointed.

I'm hoping that at some point, you'll be able to restore power to the station, which would be the best of both worlds; your first time exploring the police station is shrouded in darkness but once you've fully explored the map and have to do a lot of backtracking, you'll be able to restore power and therefore, lights.

The game takes place at night. The exterior environments are dark and i'd say the underground lab areas are dark also. It's only really the police station iirc that is fully lit, alright its probably the most iconic and well remembered area of the game but all i'm saying is with good controls, shit enemies and good camera angles, would you find a fully lit game scary? Resident Evil 5 took place in well lit areas for the most part and they were more third person shooters in my view.

It obviously won't be dark all the way through, at least I don't think so.

St_Eddie

Quote from: bgmnts on January 13, 2019, 07:15:15 PM
...all i'm saying is with good controls, shit enemies and good camera angles, would you find a fully lit game scary?

It depends entirely upon the execution, in my opinion.

Quote from: bgmnts on January 13, 2019, 07:15:15 PM...Resident Evil 5 took place in well lit areas for the most part and they were more third person shooters in my view.

Resident Evil 5 wasn't scary for a multitude of reasons.  The overly bright, sun drenched lighting, in wide open spaces being only one such reason (and it should be noted, a significantly different kind of lighting to the enclosed environment of the police station, with its artificial sources of light).  The main offender was being chased by zombies armed with AK-47's, riding atop motorcycles.

Quote from: bgmnts on January 13, 2019, 07:15:15 PMIt obviously won't be dark all the way through, at least I don't think so.

I hope that it won't but I don't presume that it won't.  I worry that it will.

bgmnts

I suppose you're right to a degree. Resident Evil doesn't really even have to be scary anyway, it was never as scary as its survival horror peers in my opinion, namely Silent Hill. As long as it has those cheesy action film inspired designs, dialogue and set pieces i'll be grand. I would be happy if they just did 90% the same game with the gorgeous graphics and fun gameplay, maybe add some new segments as they see fit. Resident Evil 2, like it's predecessor, played hard and fast with architextural design, there is very little mundane about the settings, I am sure they can add more rooms hidden behind trap doors and bookshelves that Brian Irons inexplicably built for no reason.

I have redownloaded REmake, RE 0 remake, RE 4, RE 5, RE Revelations and RE Revelations 2. Getting fully reimmersed. Man, imagine if they did this exact same thing but for Nemesis also? Jizz.

Ferris

Quote from: Thursday on January 13, 2019, 07:07:37 PM
None of the Resi games have ever been scary though.

Try telling that to me aged 7.