Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:22:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Started by bgmnts, January 12, 2019, 05:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

The best compromise is games like the new Tomb Raider where you can play the main story through in 15 hours and it's good purely on those terms, but it still has replay value as you can go back and do the challenge tombs and side quests.

Bazooka

Just look at the Final Fantasy games or most J-rpgs, if you take out the unskippable cutscenes and dialogue, you reduce the game by 50%, or more in some cases.

Moribunderast

Quote from: Swoz_MK on January 25, 2019, 03:11:25 PM
I think I may have fucked it and triggered somebody before doing a lot more required exploring, making it 100x harder for myself. Bah. Might start again, only got 3hrs in last night.

I cursed myself for triggering a cutscene from which you can't immediately return to the police station before doing a quick run-around to pick up remaining items I'd left laying around. Hopefully it doesn't come back to bite me! This game does a very good job of giving you just enough resources to get by - it makes it stressful to choose when to shoot and when not to, and really stressful when you miss a shot and waste a bullet.

I've just gotten to a section with many dogs skittering around. Those fuckers move fast! Very hard to shoot and very hard to outrun.

I do love the method of exploration in these classic survival horror games. I guess it's not too dissimilar to Metroidvania except it's keys and puzzles instead of new abilities that unlock previously locked areas. It gives a real sense of relief and achievement when you find an item and realise it can open a bunch of doors you've passed multiple times.

My only real complaint so far is that the zombies are bullet sponges and they're near-impossible to run past in tight corridors. And I've had a few times where I've lost my knife to a glitch, I think, where it hasn't become available to grab after I've killed the zombie it was plunged into. Actually, on the knife, I'd prefer they didn't degrade at all. Weapon degradation is never a fun thing to include in a game and the knife is so underpowered that I feel like you should at least be able to have one at all times.

Other than that, still loving it. Amazing how they've resurrected this series after the disasters that were RE5 and 6. The series felt dead in the water and yet RE7 and now this have breathed new life into it and I'm sure the anticipation for RE8 and an eventual remake of RE3 are going to be at fever pitch for fans of the series. If only Konami could take note and make a similar attempt to save Silent Hill.

Bazooka

Willpower got shredded to pieces, downloaded it and about to dive in, sorry Eddie , but the original is one of my most cherished games, xie xie.x

Bazooka

Big disappointment, cant change the colour of the zombie blood.

Thursday

Quote from: Swoz_MK on January 25, 2019, 03:11:25 PM
I think I may have fucked it and triggered somebody before doing a lot more required exploring, making it 100x harder for myself. Bah. Might start again, only got 3hrs in last night.

I've been doing Leon's scenario first and if you're talking about what I think you are, I'm not quite how that would be possible as it doesn't seem you can sequence break much. There are quite a few rooms you're not going to be able to access first time.

Thursday

I've really been enjoying this... I found myself thinking "this is a proper game" which I'm actually not sure is quite right, but it's been scratching an itch that hasn't been scratched in a while.

It's sort of like the feeling of watching The Day Today in the era when every comedy was a "naturalistic comedy drama"

popcorn

Is the Resident Evil Rap in this or not? I have to know.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: popcorn on January 26, 2019, 12:27:34 PM
Is the Resident Evil Rap in this or not? I have to know.

Yes, however they've censored the word 'nonce' in the chorus.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Waking Life on January 25, 2019, 05:44:29 PM
I don't really get the quantity over quality focus either; time is far too precious and I have been fighting a massive backlog of media for years. Most long games are just filled with padding and trying to equate that to the cost isn't the same as assessing its value.

Indeed.  It's a bizarre way of looking at things.  "When I go to the cinema, I like my films to be at least 2 and a half hours long, otherwise I don't feel as though I'm getting my money's worth.  It doesn't matter if the story suffers for its length, all that matters is that it's at least 2 and a half hours long".  Barmy.

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 25, 2019, 05:51:02 PM
The best compromise is games like the new Tomb Raider where you can play the main story through in 15 hours and it's good purely on those terms, but it still has replay value as you can go back and do the challenge tombs and side quests.

In my opinion, a good game will always have replay value.  It's just a question of when you replay it.  For example, I've lost count of the number of times I've completed Day of the Tentacle, or Final Fantasy VII.  They're not games which invite, nor warrant an immediate replay but I'll still return to them after a few years of time has elapsed.  I've certainly had my "money's worth".

Quote from: Bazooka on January 26, 2019, 09:08:21 AM
Willpower got shredded to pieces, downloaded it and about to dive in, sorry Eddie , but the original is one of my most cherished games, xie xie.x

Bastard!

Thursday

I can respect if you've barely got the money to get buy, then you're not going to want to spend your money on entertainment products carefully, but the premise that 12 hour isn't quite enough but 20 hours would have been is odd.

And again, it's kind of hard to read with this because of the thing with the 4 main scenarios and then there's some post game content.

As I understand, it's not that the Leon campaign is longer, it's just that whatever you play first will be the longest because you're learning and the area, and so when you come to the same areas in later scenarios, you already know the layout of everything.

Timothy

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 26, 2019, 02:35:45 PM
Indeed.  It's a bizarre way of looking at things.  "When I go to the cinema, I like my films to be at least 2 and a half hours long, otherwise I don't feel as though I'm getting my money's worth.

I think comparing movies to games is more bizarre then comparing games to other games.

I could buy this or Kingdom Hearts that I also want (90 hours game) and buy this when I'm done with Kingdom Hearts (when this game will be 20 pounds). Don't know what's weird about that.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Timothy on January 26, 2019, 03:24:58 PM
I think comparing movies to games is more bizarre then comparing games to other games.

Not necessarily if, like Resident Evil 2, the game in question is built around a narrative experience.  Besides, it was an analogy, not a direct comparison.

Quote from: Timothy on January 26, 2019, 03:24:58 PMI could buy this or Kingdom Hearts that I also want (90 hours game) and buy this when I'm done with Kingdom Hearts (when this game will be 20 pounds). Don't know what's weird about that.

There's nothing weird about that but that's not how you originally phrased things.  You came across as essentially listing the game's length as a negative and implying that a game which lasts 11 or so hours is undeserving of a standard price tag, which I did find to be a bit odd.  The game's as long as it needs to be, given the story that it's telling.  I'm a firm believer that it's better for a game to leave you wanting more, than for a game to outstay its welcome.

Timothy

Thats absolutely true. But if I look at games like AC Odyssey,  RDR 2, Spiderman, Kingdom Hearts, its more likely I buy those longer (and great) games full price then shorter games like RE 2. Dont know why. I guess I rather have a long great game that I can spend weeks playing then a shorter grrat game that I finish in a weekend.

That said I still bought this. Steelbook edition. Couldnt resist. Nostalgia.

bgmnts

Just over an hour in. Fuck me this is goooood.

Timothy

Fun game so far. Only dislike the zombies being bullet sponges. Everything else is GREAT

Thursday

Wait so you bought it after all?! TRICKED YOU!

And yeah I agree, and I think it only get's worse really. Hoping to permanently take down regular zombies with handguns just seems like a waste. I feel like it should be a bit more rewarding for landing several headshots.

Timothy

Yeah! Steelbook edition. Happy with it!

But yeah. More then four headshots is just ridiculous and quite annoying.

Thursday

Feel like it there might be some specific things that effect it like distance/time/specific part of the head as well as some zombies being tougher for some reason, but there's not really any obvious reason why other than with fat zombies.

Which is actually hugely problematic, so Resident Evil 2 is now cancelled.

St_Eddie

The headshot thing with the zombies was a common complaint from the demo and a great number of reviews also highlighted it as a negative.  I doubt that it's a bug but perhaps Capcom will patch it out in an update.  Then again, that may cause the game to become unbalanced, as a knock on effect would be an overabundance of spare ammo.  It's irritating because it was one of the first things that I noted from the early preview footage and yet, here we are upon release and it's predictably become something of an issue.

Silly Capcom, you had to balls it up in someway, didn't you?!  Great bolshy yarblockos to this game.  I'm glad that I can't afford a copy.  Glad, I tell's ya!

Thursday

I don't think it's a major issue, but I think it's particularly jarring because of how detailed the physical desecration is. Also every now and then, you will just pop their heads and it just feels like random luck.

Obviously it makes sense for you to be scared and uncertain, which is why different amounts of bullets being required makes sense in a way, but it feels a little too random sometimes.

madhair60

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 26, 2019, 07:27:56 PM
The headshot thing with the zombies was a common complaint from the demo and a great number of reviews also highlighted it as a negative.  I doubt that it's a bug but perhaps Capcom will patch it out in an update.  Then again, that may cause the game to become unbalanced, as a knock on effect would be an overabundance of spare ammo.  It's irritating because it was one of the first things that I noted from the early preview footage and yet, here we are upon release and it's predictably become something of an issue.

Silly Capcom, you had to balls it up in someway, didn't you?!  Great bolshy yarblockos to this game.  I'm glad that I can't afford a copy.  Glad, I tell's ya!

St_Eddie, are you on PC or XB1?

Consignia

It's also apparently adaptive in how well you're doing. Like Resident Evil 4, if you're doing better at the game, head shots will be harder, and vice versa.

St_Eddie

Quote from: madhair60 on January 26, 2019, 07:53:08 PM
St_Eddie, are you on PC or XB1?

PC.  Console wise, I'm still a generation behind; on PS3.  I doubt I'll be able to afford a PS4 until the PS5 roles around.  Being poor does sometimes have its advantages though; by the time I can afford to upgrade to a new console, the prices for it and its games have fallen to budget prices and there's a whole generation of titles to choose from.

I've no idea why I bought this game. I was too terrified to finish the original 20-odd years ago and that was with blocky low res graphics and laughable polygonal zombies, never mind these disgustingly lifelike, shambling horrors (who refuse to go down even when you blast them in the face). It took me ten minutes just to pluck up the courage to go inside the petrol station you start off at.

This may not be the game for me.

(It looks fucking magnificent though, the reason I was tempted to give survival horror another go)

Ferris

I recently bought the old one (warts and all) on the PlayStation store for about $6, and I've been too scared to play it. I'm a grown man. Beat that.

I used to spend ages on the original's title screen, too scared to even press start. Often I'd just switch off the PlayStation rather than have to hear that spooky 'Resident Eeeeeeevilllll' voice.

Given my lack of growth & development in all other areas I'm not sure why I thought I'd suddenly be able to handle this shit.

bgmnts

Holy shit lads.

Mr X is fuuuuucking terrifying. Shat myself throughout the whole police station after he appeared.

I am finding this game hard as fuck to be honest. Only one death, which was quite cheap as I had no clue how to deal with it but I found myself wasting ammo and herbs like nobody's business. Zombies can seemingly do 180 degree turns like a ballet dancer and dogs and lickers will always get a hit on you. Havent found anyway to dodge them.

Magnificent game though.

Bazooka

Its ten times harder than the original for sure.