Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:07:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Started by bgmnts, January 12, 2019, 05:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magval

Youse don't like the hat but you've no problem with the rest of his fuckin human clothes? We're not talking Nemesis and his bespoke bondage gear like, he wears a fucking coat, trousers and boots. And a hat.

Is he not supposed to look sort of passably human? Like Joe Fixit? Fuck up anyway the hat's class.

St_Eddie

Quote from: magval on January 30, 2019, 08:31:40 PM
Youse don't like the hat but you've no problem with the rest of his fuckin human clothes? We're not talking Nemesis and his bespoke bondage gear like, he wears a fucking coat, trousers and boots. And a hat.

Is he not supposed to look sort of passably human? Like Joe Fixit? Fuck up anyway the hat's class.

So it's all or nothing?  "You don't have a problem with him wearing clothes, so why's a hat an issue?!".  Going by that logic, I guess they may as well dress him in a unicorn outfit then.  I mean, it's all or nothing, right?

"What, you take exception to a plot point in Lord of the Rings or Star Wars?!  Uh, it's fantasy!  Anything goes!".  No.  No, it doesn't.

magval

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 30, 2019, 08:45:57 PM
So it's all or nothing?  "You don't have a problem with him wearing clothes, so why's a hat an issue?!".  Going by that logic, I guess they may as well dress him in a unicorn outfit then.  I mean, it's all or nothing, right?

"What, you take exception to a plot point in Lord of the Rings or Star Wars?!  Uh, it's fantasy!  Anything goes!".  No.  No, it doesn't.

A man, or a big mutant monster man in this instance, is wearing a specific outfit so that if he were to be dropped into a civilian area to hunt some prey he could move about without drawing as much attention as he would if his tree stump face was less hidden. I reckon he was developed by Umbrella without the advance knowledge that there wouldn't be anybody still living in the vicinity when deployed.

Like The Thing! You mind before the Fantastic Four were famous and accepted in the public Ben would wear a big coat and a hat? Or when he wanted to go to the shop to buy flowers and jonnys for his blind girlfriend. A big grey evil Thing.

I've a question - where did the "Mr. X" name come from? Is he ever called Mr X in-game?

Consignia

Quote from: magval
I've a question - where did the "Mr. X" name come from? Is he ever called Mr X in-game?

Dunno. I remember in a PSN magazine he was mistakenly called hunk at the time and we all conflated him with the other guy for years.

PlanktonSideburns

When you knock off his fedora/dash his vape out of his moth/ruffle his flame pattern shirt or whatever doe's the 'acheivment' flash up on the screen? Does this take one out of the moment somewhat? Not gamed since game cube am trying to imagine this

madhair60

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on January 31, 2019, 08:11:56 AM
When you knock off his fedora/dash his vape out of his moth/ruffle his flame pattern shirt or whatever doe's the 'acheivment' flash up on the screen? Does this take one out of the moment somewhat? Not gamed since game cube am trying to imagine this

Yes. It goes "Plink!"

Confetti farts out of the console, too. And you get a little card on the post that says "nicely"

magval

You can turn this off. It popped up on my screen when I was rooms away, as what had happened was a zombo attacked me and I automatically stuffed a grenade in his mouth, and it must have blown up (after I dashed off) near enough to X to knock his REAL COOL hat off his miserable cunt head.

PlanktonSideburns

A fedora for God's sake. Has he got a YouTube channel about picking up girls also?

Smart man DESTROYS liberal police officer by smashing through a wall and pulling his head off

The Culture Bunker

Still far from sure I can justify paying £40+ for this, so in order to salve the nostalgia itch for now, I'm playing the original again.

Actually only just survived getting to the cop shop, such was my ineptness in going back to the old controls.

Ferris

If you're playing the original, instead of holding X to go forward, you can tap it and look like you are ice-skating on one foot everywhere. Can't do that in the "so-called" remake so you've got that going for you.

bgmnts

Ghost Survivors DLC being released for free in Feb? Whoa.

Mister Six

Quote from: bgmnts on January 30, 2019, 09:03:17 PM
He has a point. The fact he's dressed at all is stupid.

https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/games/resident-evil/63063/resident-evil-capcom-teases-resident-evil-3-remake

Of course...

Doesn't the Tyrant do essentially the same thing as Nemesis in this remake? Isn't he following the player around all the time? Seems like it'll knacker the USP a bit there.

Thursday

Yeah I found it a bit weird the Resi 3 defines itself by a mechanic that had already been done in 2. I mean it expands on it a little bit from how it originally was in 2, but not that much.

PlanktonSideburns

Can anyone confirm the rumours of there being a DLC pack containing some new items for the tyrant, including a BC rich guitar, a guitar strap that says POLICE LINE DO NOT CROSS and some wristbands with cannabis leaf logos on them?
Sounds really scary!

PlanktonSideburns

Licker 'ska style' checkerboard pattern slip on shoes confirmed

Mister Six

Quote from: Thursday on January 31, 2019, 05:45:22 PM
Yeah I found it a bit weird the Resi 3 defines itself by a mechanic that had already been done in 2. I mean it expands on it a little bit from how it originally was in 2, but not that much.

The original tyrant didn't follow you from room to room like Nemesis, did he? Whereas remake tyrant (as I understand it) wanders around independently of the player and can pop up at any moment. Which makes me wonder where they can take the Nemesis...

Ferris

Quote from: Mister Six on January 31, 2019, 08:22:03 PM
The original tyrant didn't follow you from room to room like Nemesis, did he? Whereas remake tyrant (as I understand it) wanders around independently of the player and can pop up at any moment. Which makes me wonder where they can take the Nemesis...

Nemesis has actual lines though. "STARS!", he says. That's a step up. Maybe he'll have a backup band or an even sillier outfit. Sky's the limit.

bgmnts

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 31, 2019, 08:35:44 PM
Nemesis has actual lines though. "STARS!", he says. That's a step up. Maybe he'll have a backup band or an even sillier outfit. Sky's the limit.

Nemesis and the Raccoon City Tyrants with their debut album STARRSS.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Mister Six on January 31, 2019, 08:22:03 PM
I think there's one moment in the original RE2 when you can escape from him in one room (is it the press room? I think one where you use the lighter to solve some minor puzzle) and he can burst through the wall into the adjoining corridor.

Or was that in RE3?

magval

What happens is he busts into a particular room after you solve a puzzle. Outside that room is a corridor that runs around three of its four walls. Kind of like a horseshoe. You can escape into the corridor, and once you've passed one corner you'll see his violence hole, then you turn the second corner and he busts out from inside the room through a DIFFERENT wall. It's a fucking classic gaming horror moment. The mechanic of seeing the first hole before he creates the second is pretty clever.

I think that's the only time he pursues you directly. Nemesis can follow you four or five rooms, and only really backs off so long as you go the exact right way you're supposed to.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: magval on January 31, 2019, 08:51:46 PM
What happens is he busts into a particular room after you solve a puzzle. Outside that room is a corridor that runs around three of its four walls. Kind of like a horseshoe. You can escape into the corridor, and once you've passed one corner you'll see his violence hole, then you turn the second corner and he busts out from inside the room through a DIFFERENT wall. It's a fucking classic gaming horror moment. The mechanic of seeing the first hole before he creates the second is pretty clever.
That's right, thanks. One of the several "fuck me sideways!" brown trouser moments in that game. Brilliant. I remember that moment, playing it with a mate of mine, and him literally screaming "kill the cunt!"

Golden E. Pump

That's one of the best moments in the entire series. That and the Nemesis 'window' bit. You know the bit.

So this Tyrant can actually encounter you at any time? I haven't picked this up yet and that sounds to stressful for me! The same reason I never picked up Alien Isolation.

It's odd, I love horror and nothing in movies seems to scare me, but in gaming any time there's pressure and that feeling of never being safe it gets me terrified. Underwater levels, being chased by a boulder and heavy pursuits. That sort of thing. I can handle scripted encounters where I know after a few minutes it's gone or I've defeated it but a pursuit that lasts an entire game?!

Nah mate.

That being said, I'll still pick this up. I've still got RE7 to play yet.

Mister Six

Er, bad news on the RE7 front then...

madhair60

Quote from: Mister Six on February 01, 2019, 12:58:16 AM
Er, bad news on the RE7 front then...

...That while this element is present, it rarely happens, is limited to a specific (and small) part of the house, and after a couple of hours said threat is gone completely?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The updated version of Nemesis will say, "Hey now. You're an all S.T.A.R.S."

Bazooka

Nemesis has a rocket launcher but no hat.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Bazooka on February 01, 2019, 06:28:58 PM
Nemesis has a rocket launcher but no hat.

In the remake, he'll have a spud gun and a sombrero.

Mister Six

Quote from: madhair60 on February 01, 2019, 10:08:52 AM
...That while this element is present, it rarely happens, is limited to a specific (and small) part of the house, and after a couple of hours said threat is gone completely?

Is it? I didn't get past the chainsaw battle because I found the whole thing an exquisitely polished turd. I might go back to it later.

Goldentony

Made a proper plums of it at the minute. Picked up the waveform thing that looks like an Electro Harmonix pedal and i'm out of flash grenades, and that MURF room has two lickers in the motherfucker so i'm trying to blast both of their shite out on orange. Not working. Made a bollocks of it somewhere about 15 times to the point where the game is suggesting wipe my arse mode to me.