Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:23:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Started by bgmnts, January 12, 2019, 05:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

Shadow of the Colossus was now 12 months and 4 days, so nope sorry.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying anyway, plenty of highly rated games in the past 12 months.

The Culture Bunker

Finished Leon A in the original RE2 last night, sort of dreading playing Claire B as a I remember back in the day I always got slaughtered by the final form of Mr X. Plus you have to ponce about with that crossbow instead of a nice shotgun.

bgmnts

That's the game industry we know and love!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Thursday on February 10, 2019, 12:39:12 PM
Shadow of the Colossus was a boring load of toss, so nope sorry.
Fixed.

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on February 10, 2019, 12:46:57 PM
sort of dreading playing Claire B as a I remember back in the day I always got slaughtered by the final form of Mr X.
You just needed to run around in a circle for a minute or so, until the bazooka ex machina arrives. It was a bit of a shit boss fight after all the build up, but it was a piece of piss.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 10, 2019, 02:15:38 PMYou just needed to run around in a circle for a minute or so, until the bazooka ex machina arrives. It was a bit of a shit boss fight after all the build up, but it was a piece of piss.
Aye, someone told me years later, but at the time I just kept trying to kill the bastard and getting my arse handed to me. Eventually, I just borrowed one of those cheat discs to give myself a bazooka beforehand.

Hard to blame you. I think I just fluked my way into that strategy. There's certainly nothing to indicate it's what you need to do.

Timothy

Finished all scenarios. Great game but not as scary as expected and disliked the bullet sponges. Sold it for 40 so played it for free.

Ferris

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on February 10, 2019, 02:28:50 PM
Aye, someone told me years later, but at the time I just kept trying to kill the bastard and getting my arse handed to me. Eventually, I just borrowed one of those cheat discs to give myself a bazooka beforehand.

The cheat disks were amazing. Rocket launcher all the way for me, great fun.

"Alright zombie, you dickhead?"

*boom*

"Alright Nemesis, you dickhead?"

*boom*

Etc etc

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 10, 2019, 08:22:02 PM
The cheat disks were amazing. Rocket launcher all the way for me, great fun.

"Alright zombie, you dickhead?"

*boom*

"Alright Nemesis, you dickhead?"

*boom*

Etc etc
I always enjoyed watching zombies dance on the spot as I riddled them with a few seconds from the Gatling gun. And the Magnum-powered head explosions never got old.

Bazooka

Finally finished Leon A, I really don't know if I have the patience to do Claire B,A,LeonB etc, the honing missile enemies were tiresome, not scary or threatening by the end, just dragged on, and the original is bloody brilliant.

Utter Shit

Does this game still have the pant-shittingly scary moment early on where a licker runs past the window outside? Possibly the most I've ever jumped at a game. I always loved bits like that where you're not in immediate danger, but they build up your fear and create a general sense of foreboding.

The early Silent Hills were brilliant for it - there was a moment in the first one where you can hear someone crying in the toilets of the school, but you search every cubicle and there's nobody around...I can't even remember if that ever got explained, but it was such a good way of building up your fear without anything actually happening.

popcorn

Got this and am playing in staggered instalments depending on girlfriend availability. She won't let me play it without her. What a babe.

Only one thing annoys me a bit so far: is there any strategy in which windows to board up? Should I just board up all I can or are some better to board than others? There seems to be no way of knowing in advance.

Bit disappointed that there are no sawing and banging noises that play after you board a window up. Was this feature in the original BTW? (The boarding windows, not the sound effects.)

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: popcorn on February 14, 2019, 03:29:55 PM
Got this and am playing in staggered instalments depending on girlfriend availability. She won't let me play it without her. What a babe.

Only one thing annoys me a bit so far: is there any strategy in which windows to board up? Should I just board up all I can or are some better to board than others? There seems to be no way of knowing in advance.

Bit disappointed that there are no sawing and banging noises that play after you board a window up. Was this feature in the original BTW? (The boarding windows, not the sound effects.)
Not boarding windows up, but you can use some electrical cord to bring down the shutters in one of two sets of windows on the ground floor of the police station.

I think one of the spin-off games on the PS2 let you board up windows and doors. It was an online multiplayer thing (as long as you lived in Japan) which meant you could strand your teammates outside with the zombies.

Thursday

Quote from: Utter Shit on February 14, 2019, 03:22:18 PM
Does this game still have the pant-shittingly scary moment early on where a licker runs past the window outside? Possibly the most I've ever jumped at a game. I always loved bits like that where you're not in immediate danger, but they build up your fear and create a general sense of foreboding.

No, disappointed at that being cut, but then it might not have worked without fixed camera angles.

magval

That Licker jump is still there, but it happens slightly later on the third floor

St_Eddie

Quote from: magval on February 14, 2019, 07:22:13 PM
That Licker jump is still there, but it happens slightly later on the third floor

Actually, the licker scampering past the window is still there; exact same window as in the original and all (Police Station 1F - West entrance to corridor, just off from the main hall).  It happens during Claire's B scenario, if I recall correctly.

Moribunderast

I've gotta go back and continue Claire B (got sidetracked by Far Cry Primal, which is, officially, a better game than Red Dead Redemption 2) but am interested in this free DLC that's coming out on the weekend. Three new (I'm assuming very short) stories to play through - and free!

Swoz_MK

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 14, 2019, 10:28:11 PM
Actually, the licker scampering past the window is still there; exact same window as in the original and all (Police Station 1F - West entrance to corridor, just off from the main hall).  It happens during Claire's B scenario, if I recall correctly.

Yup, the B scenario for both characters.

madhair60

The Culture Bunker

I did submit and buy this last weekend (over Red Dead Redemption 2) and it's certainly a tense game to me, especially if you're a bit scardey cat like me. I'm doubtless playing it much slower than everyone else, as I pretty much inch through every room expecting zombies or lickers round every corner. Was a bit surprising, playing Leon A, when Mr X turned up as I was only expecting him (like in the original) to appear in the B scenario.

AsparagusTrevor

I've finished Leon's A scenario and started Claire's B (yeah it took me a while but I don't get much gaming time). I died several times during the last bosses, I had trouble dodging a lot of their attacks, but got there in the end.

Spoilers ahead - I was annoyed to see the Tyrant pop up once again for the B scenario, it's such a fun-killer when he's stalking. It would've been better if he'd only showed up in the B game like before, both is overkill.

popcorn

Still slowly going through this based on girlfriend availability.

Am I right in thinking that each zombie is unique? If so that's fucking great, because you end up with a personal relationship with them. You leave one alive in a corridor and come back a bit later and bump into her on another floor. Hello again, sorry about shooting you a bit earlier.

Really enjoying it, anyway. It's a bit meat-and-potatoes but it's done with such finesse. Never played the original, and only recently did the RE1 remake for the first time, so interesting to see how it's still sort of a sequel to RE1. The best thing, again, is the structure - coming out of the car park into another wing of the police station is so satisfying.

The red tick you get when an item has no further use is fucking bizarre. I know in RE1 it just outright told you when a key was no longer useful and suggested you chuck it, which is clunky and redundant but at least it works. This is the same thing but very easy to miss. Odd.

I've never really enjoyed any Resident Evil besides 4 on the Wii and I don't really get the appeal. Getting good at Resident Evil games appears to be just running past all the zombies fast and getting the cranks and stuff to make fast progress and finishing without really shooting anything and then thinking yesssss B+ rank. Can't wait to do it again but with less ink ribbons.

Mister X sounds like the kind of thing that would really piss me off as well. Completely arbitrary time pressure to spice things up. The whole game is basically kiss chase the game but for people with a hard on for violence.

Any truth in that? I'm impressed I've managed to not buy it because I buy almost everything half decent but I found the demo not to my taste and didn't even play the 30m before uninstalling. Hope for more games like this so I can stop spending money.

madhair60

Quote from: The Boston Crab on March 04, 2019, 01:11:07 PM
I've never really enjoyed any Resident Evil besides 4 on the Wii and I don't really get the appeal. Getting good at Resident Evil games appears to be just running past all the zombies fast and getting the cranks and stuff to make fast progress and finishing without really shooting anything and then thinking yesssss B+ rank. Can't wait to do it again but with less ink ribbons.

Mister X sounds like the kind of thing that would really piss me off as well. Completely arbitrary time pressure to spice things up. The whole game is basically kiss chase the game but for people with a hard on for violence.

Any truth in that? I'm impressed I've managed to not buy it because I buy almost everything half decent but I found the demo not to my taste and didn't even play the 30m before uninstalling. Hope for more games like this so I can stop spending money.

It isn't that good. After the initial couple of hours I've felt no compulsion to return. Revelations 2 is still the king of Resi.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: The Boston Crab on March 04, 2019, 01:11:07 PM

Yeah it's like some weird focus on survival, like surviving horrific situations. They really need to come up with a name for it.

Quote from: The Boston Crab on March 04, 2019, 01:11:07 PMMister X sounds like the kind of thing that would really piss me off as well. Completely arbitrary time pressure to spice things up. The whole game is basically kiss chase the game but for people with a hard on for violence.

Mr X is a cunt and I hate him.

madhair60

The thing with Mr X is, he's not scary because he can barely harm you. He's just in-between you and your objectives, so you spend a lot of time kiting him and hiding in safe rooms, which isn't fun.

Cheers. It's probably the first game I've not bought that I've felt compelled to buy, maybe in three years. I'm truly growing as a person. Just need to sack off Sekiro now and my evolution will be complete.

The best thing about 4 was that mastery meant absolutely rinsing every fucking enemy in every scenario and getting creative with it. Save your ammo, yeah, but roundhouse everyone going or suplex them into some other wankers. Corral them into a corridor and then when one nob lights a dynamPAMMMMM all gone in one bullet. Mastery meant being the absolute Antichrist of the game and sending them all to hell, not running past everything on your way to inserting a lift key into a lift to take you to the stationery room where you put a quill in an ink pot to unlock a secretary cupboard to get some nappies in case you gonna shit yourself