Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:24:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Started by bgmnts, January 12, 2019, 05:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 13, 2019, 07:48:59 PM
Try telling that to me aged 7.
I was 18 when that Licker flung itself itself through the one-way mirror in the interrogation room, and it was perhaps as close as I've come to shitting myself as I've been since I was potty-trained.

Sorry if that makes me sound an absolute wimp.

Consignia

Quote from: Thursday on January 13, 2019, 07:07:37 PM
None of the Resi games have ever been scary though.

Not sure I'd go that far. They've all got their fair share of jump scares, and always to get most of high tension situations which is they limit resources. Of course, I wouldn't say they have a pervasive sense of fear that will stick with you after you switch it off.

But that's the problem I'd have with this RE2 remake. It'll be full of jump scares, not even scripted. And it's all because it's taking place in such darkness. I don't think any of the other games really had so much darkness in them.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Consignia on January 13, 2019, 07:59:32 PM
Not sure I'd go that far. They've all got their fair share of jump scares, and always to get most of high tension situations which is they limit resources. Of course, I wouldn't say they have a pervasive sense of fear that will stick with you after you switch it off.

But that's the problem I'd have with this RE2 remake. It'll be full of jump scares, not even scripted. And it's all because it's taking place in such darkness. I don't think any of the other games really had so much darkness in them.
The original RE2 had it's jump scares, but a few more subtle ones too. I remember going into the squad room for the first time - suddenly there's four or five zombies lurching towards you. I thought "gah, fuck!" and turned right around, hoping there was some other way to get in there that offered a bit of space to pick the bastards off.

bgmnts

Quote from: Consignia on January 13, 2019, 07:59:32 PM

See I think the last few Resi games - Resi 7 and Revelations 2 - have done a goos job of making a game scary without relying on cliché jump scares.

Consignia

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 13, 2019, 08:03:28 PM
The original RE2 had it's jump scares, but a few more subtle ones too. I remember going into the squad room for the first time - suddenly there's four or five zombies lurching towards you. I thought "gah, fuck!" and turned right around, hoping there was some other way to get in there that offered a bit of space to pick the bastards off.

Oh yes, I'm not denying RE2 had jumpscares. The interrogation room is probably the most famous of these. RE4 even had a few. But they were scattered throughout, and crucially not the core of the game. The Remake looks like every room could have a zombie pop up behind you, just because you were looking in slightly the wrong direction.

Quote from: bgmnts on January 13, 2019, 08:06:26 PM
See I think the last few Resi games - Resi 7 and Revelations 2 - have done a goos job of making a game scary without relying on cliché jump scares.

Yeah, I've not played either so I can't comment. Resi 7 looks quite good in that respect, so I can see it there.

Kryton

Quote from: Mister Six on January 13, 2019, 04:31:05 PM
The trailer suggests that it has most of the plot beats - including paedo serial killer police chief - and a few new setpieces, at least.

Paedo? I don't remember that? Context please?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Consignia on January 13, 2019, 08:17:01 PMYeah, I've not played either so I can't comment. Resi 7 looks quite good in that respect, so I can see it there.
I really enjoyed Revelations 2, and would recommend it. Playing as Claire Redfield and Barry Burton helps a lot, as you have that connection back to the old school.

Quote from: Kryton on January 13, 2019, 08:17:39 PM
His intentions towards Sherry, perhaps?

St_Eddie

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 13, 2019, 08:18:53 PM
His intentions towards Sherry, perhaps?

It's possible that Kryton failed to enable the 'Paedo Chief Irons' option on the main menu.  It's easily missed.  This being a remake, Capcom will probably only make that option available via paid for DLC (Doing Little Children), or peado loot crates.

bgmnts

Quote from: Kryton on January 13, 2019, 08:17:39 PM

He was a serial killer and his victims were young women if I recall.

"Taxidermy used to be my hobby" etc.

biggytitbo

Can you still play as a giant block of tofu in this?

Consignia

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 13, 2019, 08:18:53 PM
I really enjoyed Revelations 2, and would recommend it. Playing as Claire Redfield and Barry Burton helps a lot, as you have that connection back to the old school.

I certainly have been tempted, so I might give it a go when it's on discount.

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 13, 2019, 08:46:02 PM

Yes. https://youtu.be/hb2UYq2Yq70?t=44

St_Eddie

The developers have indeed confirmed the giant block of tofu as an unlockable.  As well they should.

EDIT: Consignia beat me to the tofu punch.

St_Eddie

Piers Morgan's not going to like this game at all.

Ferris

I thought that was Nemesis?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Consignia on January 13, 2019, 08:50:23 PM
I certainly have been tempted, so I might give it a go when it's on discount.
If you're on Playstation Store, you can have the first chapter for free, full game for eight quid.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I just gave the demo a try. It seemed alright, although I spent less time really getting into it and more thinking, "I remember that" and "Hmm, that's different".

It made the PS4 run worryingly hot though. The fan sounded like a vacuum cleaner. If the finished game does that, I might have to give it a miss.

St_Eddie

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 13, 2019, 09:01:22 PM
I thought that was Nemesis?

Nope, Resident Evil 2.  However...

Quote from: Resident Evil WikiTofu can be unofficially used in Resident Evil 3: Nemesis by hacking the game, his files are leftover/ported along with some of his sounds, it might imply that Tofu was originally planned to be playable at some point during the development of the game.

Personally, I suspect that it's more a result of the fact that Nemesis is essentially an expansion pack for Resident Evil 2 and uses a great deal of the same assets/locations as that game.  Code Veronica is the true third installment and was only deprived of being titled as such due to silly console bias gubbins.

Ferris

That explains it - I had a gameshark disc (remember those?) for Nemesis.

Thursday

Played the demo. Got stupidly confused on the opening, not realising you could just open the shutters (Opposite side of where it was on the original) So then I rushed through everything else and completed it with plenty of time to spare. Definitely not a great demo format really as it was hard to get a sense of it. Thought some zombies took too many shots to take down considering how many headshots I was landing, but I guess you'll get a better sense of that, and the uncertainty is part of what makes it.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 12, 2019, 05:23:39 PMIs this 30 or 60fps on the base PS4? I'm tempted to get this when it comes out as it looks amazing, but I'll probably resist until it drops in price.

I've just watched a comparison video where they show all versions aim for 60fps but the base consoles aren't as consistent as the Pro and X, however PS4 apparently runs better than the Xbox One version. I played on PS4 Pro which I can confirm run 60fps with a few hitches.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It doesn't seem like a game that particularly needs to be 60fps. I reckon it would suit a more cinematic look.

popcorn

Has no one else played the demo yet then? I thought I was the only person on this forum who wasn't HONKINGLY GAY with LOVE for RE2.

Bazooka

Yeah I played it, but was drunk so didn't get my 30 minutes worth, I too spent my time saying "oh that's in a different place" etc. Will buy it, RE2 is up there with the games I have completed the most, I hope the gas canister in the crocs mouth remains.

magval

I played it too. It's too dark and it's got that same vile meaty gore as Revelations 2 had, but I'm intrigued enough to play it once it comes out. The zombies are quite properly spooky in it for the first time in years. Started playing the original last night so I've a proper benchmark for what's new and good about the remake.

I fucking love Resident Evil 2. I always forget how brilliant it is. Favourite bit so far is the zombies that walk through the door-opening animation at you, completely fucking you over the only time you think that you're guaranteed safety. Brilliant touch.

Kryton

What's the music like in the demo?
I remember being in love with the music in Re1 and at least the police station music in Re2. Can't remember the music standing out in any of the others though. But 1+2 had that wonderful piano stuff with discordant clangs and gothic dread.

popcorn

Kryton

Quote from: popcorn on January 17, 2019, 02:16:14 AM
It's quite different in the remake: https://youtu.be/wc4Hqde7aDA?t=15

Wow they've completely missed the mood with this haven't they?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Kryton on January 17, 2019, 02:13:19 AM
What's the music like in the demo?
I remember being in love with the music in Re1 and at least the police station music in Re2. Can't remember the music standing out in any of the others though. But 1+2 had that wonderful piano stuff with discordant clangs and gothic dread.

If you preordered the game, then you can select the original soundtrack.  If you didn't preorder the game, then you can select the original soundtrack for the pricey sum of your SSSOOOOUUULLLL.

Capcom are good like that.

magval

Wonder how much it costs separately? I used to have it on CD.