Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:19:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Started by bgmnts, January 12, 2019, 05:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsparagusTrevor

I finally finished Claire's B scenario t'other day. I agree with what was said about the difficulty massively dropping after leaving the station, I don't think I died in the second half although I did get caught by the police chief a couple of times in everyone's favourite game trope, the instant-fail stealth section.

I've got mixed feelings about the game. One one hand I love it, it gives me a nostalgic feeling, the gameplay mechanics are solid and the graphics, music and atmosphere are spot-on. One the other hand, there are lots that pissed me off, e.g. magnetic zombies with granite heads, some useless weapons (what are the acid rounds for?) Mr X being a ubiquitous cunt.

Overall though I enjoyed it, I'm glad it exists and did well. I still look forward to the next one, although I wish they would redo Code Veronica rather than Nemesis. Nemesis was basically an expansion pack. Now there's an idea - they could release Nemesis as DLC!

Timothy

Not sure if my game is bugged or not. Is it normal that Mr X can walk into the safe zones?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Timothy on March 07, 2019, 10:02:35 AM
Not sure if my game is bugged or not. Is it normal that Mr X can walk into the safe zones?

He shouldn't be able to enter a save room, with the exception of the main entrance of the police station.

popcorn

In Phantasy Star Online the monsters can't follow you into corridors. But it happened to me once when a Sinow Beat managed to glitch into the corridor and smack the shit out of me as I was healing. It's probably the biggest scare I've ever had in a game because that isn't supposed to happen.

Bazooka

Quote from: popcorn on March 08, 2019, 02:37:59 AM
In Phantasy Star Online the monsters can't follow you into corridors. But it happened to me once when a Sinow Beat managed to glitch into the corridor and smack the shit out of me as I was healing. It's probably the biggest scare I've ever had in a game because that isn't supposed to happen.

Fucking Sinow Beasts, I hope it dropped some good loot.

Thursday

Still waiting in suspense for an update from Timothy to find out whether Mr X actually was walking into safe rooms or that it was just the main hall.

The Culture Bunker

He never went in any save rooms on my playthrough, though one time he was lurking just outside the one under the statue in the mail hall and twatted me as I walked out. Cheeky get.

The Sherry section is perhaps the most frustrating and needless bit of gaming I've done in ages.

St_Eddie

I think Mr. X is quite sexy.

Definitely would.

That is all.

St_Eddie

I mean we could go for a drink first.

See how it goes.

I don't want to rush into things, you know?

St_Eddie

Actually, let's call the whole thing off.

Nemesis is my new love.  I just love his vocabulary.

St_Eddie

Not liking my new date.  I say tomato, he says S.T.A.R.S.

PlanktonSideburns

I want to roll around with that big fucking alligator

I wonder when the tide will turn on this absolute clunker of a game

St_Eddie

Quote from: The Boston Crab on March 09, 2019, 08:43:50 AM
I wonder when the tide will turn on this absolute clunker of a game

I'm not sure if you're being serious but I do think that it's been overrated, to an almost annoying degree.  It's a very good game but it has flaws, not that you'd know it from the reviews.  Speaking of which, I really need to write up my review one of these days.  Until then; 8/10 - How meaningless is that?!  Very.

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on March 09, 2019, 07:21:23 AM
I want to roll around with that big fucking alligator

I bet you do, you dirty old bollocks.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 09, 2019, 08:56:30 AM

You're even more BLOCKED than that sewer

I'm not sure if you're being serious but I do think that it's been overrated, to an almost annoying degree.  It's a very good game but it has flaws, not that you'd know it from the reviews.  Speaking of which, I really need to write up my review one of these days.  Until then; 8/10 - How meaningless is that?!  Very.

I've not played it or the original but having never enjoyed any Resi really besides 4 (and the first one for the atmosphere and music and the innovation at the time), I've read plenty of thoughts and impressions of this and I genuinely don't understand what's fun about it. More than that, I've not heard anyone say what they're enjoying about it besides the graphics and atmosphere and 'successfully updating a classic' type of rhetoric. It looks tense, definitely. It looks atmospheric and scary. Is that the appeal? Is it the tension and release of horror? The actual gameplay...well, I already said it above.

Is the satisfaction of survival horror engaging with as few enemies as possible and inserting cranks with minimal fuss while feeling a sense of dread? That would at least make some sense to me. It just sounds shit.

Consignia

St_Eddie

Thursday

Yeah, the thing is when it was announced I thought "oh that'll be pretty cool" but it wasn't something I was massively looking forward to. But then previews and reviews even from some people I'd generally trust were like "It's fucking amazing" and got me all hyped up and I rushed out to buy it. And for a couple of hours I thought they were right, but by the end of scenario B it was about as good as I might have expected before it got overhyped. Slightly less good actually because of the way they botched the scenarios. Would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't gone in with inflated expectations.

The Culture Bunker

If they'd got the Scenario B bit right, it would have been two thumbs up from me. But it loses points for stuff like "oh, these fucking chess pieces again?" It just seemed so hurried or botched on as an afterthought.

Bazooka

Great graphics, great game engine, great lighting and sound, fun game, but even if I scraped the rose tint of my glasses, this game is leagues behind the original.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Thursday on March 09, 2019, 01:48:41 PM
Yeah, the thing is when it was announced I thought "oh that'll be pretty cool" but it wasn't something I was massively looking forward to. But then previews and reviews even from some people I'd generally trust were like "It's fucking amazing" and got me all hyped up and I rushed out to buy it. And for a couple of hours I thought they were right, but by the end of scenario B it was about as good as I might have expected before it got overhyped. Slightly less good actually because of the way they botched the scenarios. Would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't gone in with inflated expectations.

Quote from: Bazooka on March 09, 2019, 02:49:40 PM
Great graphics, great game engine, great lighting and sound, fun game, but even if I scraped the rose tint of my glasses, this game is leagues behind the original.

Why is karma no longer a thing?

popcorn

Quote from: popcorn on March 06, 2019, 06:36:49 AM
UI/UX design, and usability in general, is an area with a huge potential for improvement in games. It's something that never comes up in reviews or discussion, because talking about whether menu systems are easy to use isn't as sexy as talking about bosses or graphics, but it makes a huge difference.

It's time for me to complain about this again!!!!!

I found the muzzle break upgrade. The item description says:

A custom part for the Matilda that reduces recoil and muzzle rise by redirecting propellant gas up and away from the barrel.

OK, I thought to myself, I don't have the Matilda yet. So I put it in an item box and forgot about it.

Hours later, friend tells me that the Matilda is actually the name of your handgun, even though it's called "Handgun" in your inventory. You have to read the handgun description to learn that it's also called Matilda.

This isn't a puzzle. It's just bad UX. And it would be so easy to fix. I hate it! I hate it!!

madhair60

I thought it said that when you highlight it in your inventory. Could be very wrong

popcorn

Quote from: madhair60 on March 13, 2019, 08:44:14 AM
I thought it said that when you highlight it in your inventory. Could be very wrong

It does. But that's easy to miss and there's no point in giving it two names in the first place, it just creates confusion.

There are puzzles in RE that you solve by examining things in your inventory, but this shouldn't be one of them.

madhair60

Aren't you the person who didn't like Mario Odyssey because it wasn't totally opaque about its controls and systems?

Mario and Resi are the same. Why is it one rule for Nintendo's plumber-hopping franchise and quite another for Capcom's shambling spook-fest?

Gotcha. Fucking destroyed. Don't even reply.

popcorn

Ooh, ooh, I really want to reply though.

madhair60

Sorry, but you may not. I've decisively won. Airtight, mate. Unassailable.

Ferris

What kind of pansy needs a muzzle brake on a medium calibre pistol anyway? Some rozzer he is. No wonder Raccoon City ended up in bits

popcorn

I wish I could put a muzzle break on madhair.