Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:53:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Started by bgmnts, January 12, 2019, 05:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Why? I'm excellent!!

Edit: New page CUNT

Ferris

Quote from: popcorn on March 13, 2019, 10:56:58 AM
I wish I could put a muzzle break on madhair.

LMAOOOing at madhair tbh

This is on digital sale for 30 quid on XB and 35 on PS4.

I don't know exactly why but it's still not very tempting. I think if I'm honest, I don't actually like Resident Evil games. I really really enjoyed RE4 on the Wii and played it several times back to back. I have fond memories of the first game on the PS1 but I've never finished it and find it pretty obtuse with loads of backtracking and remembering which door has which emblem and all that stuff. I don't know if I'm just thick but the puzzles don't make any sense to me at all and I always just hit points where I have to backtrack everywhere to see if I've missed things and that's my enduring memory of the game. RE2 I never really played and the rest I assume were varying degrees of shite.

This remake has had lots of praise and I suspects it'll feature heavily in the GOTY lists but everything I've seen of it (and played the demo) is the same old crap. It seems like a very effective way to make you feel stressed and devoid of resources but I genuinely don't understand what's enjoyable or satisfying about that. Mr X just seems like a pain in the arse. I guess it's the catharsis that horror provides, maybe my expectations or parameters of fun are too narrow.

Shall I buy this game for thirty quid and play it because I'm off work with the shits?

madhair60

No mate, you'll hate it. It's crap. Fucking annoying busywork game with extended sequence where you follow invisible pipes along walls and floors. Just start Bloodborne again

Cheers, that's just what I needed to hear. I don't think I can ever play BB again though unfortunately. I finished it with about twelve different builds and I got a bit freaked out by my obsession with it. Maybe in five years I'll be ready.

madhair60

Buy DmC Definitive Edition and put it on hard mode then laugh your arse off at how mental and brilliant it is.

Actual cutscene dialogue:

Succubus: Fuck you!
Dante: Fuck you!
Succubus: FUCK YOOOOUUUUU

£8.99 on PSN

popcorn

Finally finished this after playing it in instalments with massive breaks between.

I enjoyed it overall, though like RE7 I became disengaged towards the end and it all just washed over in a bland action movie wash. It doesn't have the high highs or low lows of RE7, though.

I was disappointed not to return to the police station after the sewers. After unlocking the lift back to the police station, I assumed at some point it'd loop round again and I'd end up there for the finale, and so instead pressed on underground. It feels inefficient, design-wise - I don't like RE1 but at least it used and reused its best setting, the mansion, more effectively.

Bazooka

You guys are mental, RE1 backtracking and RE2original work so well because where you have been before has a new baddie in it.

popcorn

BOLLOCKSED IT UP

popcorn

BOLLOCKSED IT UP

Quote from: Bazooka on May 08, 2019, 12:32:17 AM
You guys are mental, RE1 backtracking and RE2original work so well because where you have been before has a new baddie in it.

Yeah I don't wanna play 'Prank!: The Game'.

Bazooka

The RE2 remake actually tells you on the map which doors require which key.

popcorn

I've never played the original RE2. Why is it better than the remake?

madhair60

Quote from: popcorn on May 08, 2019, 12:21:51 PM

To my mind there's a fundamental disconnection between the archaic mechanics of the remake and the extremely impressive graphics - it's weird to me, it's like they updated it a little bit but didn't go whole hog for the purposes of making it feel old-school, when I found it just made the remake feel frustratingly hamstrung, and on purpose.

When I played the original Resi 2 I knew what to expect because it's a stiff game with stiff graphics, so I fell into the proper gear nicely. In RE2 Remake I just could never click but it never quite felt right, felt fair.

popcorn

Are there more dogs in the original? Thought it was a bit weird how they're only used in one area in the remake.

St_Eddie

Quote from: popcorn on May 08, 2019, 01:18:13 PM
Are there more dogs in the original? Thought it was a bit weird how they're only used in one area in the remake.

Yes, that was weird.  There were more way more dogs in the original and they were a lot more scary and dangerous too.  The dogs in the remake were like poodles by comparison.  The remake fucked up the plant enemies as well.  The original had what were essentially triffids...

Whereas in the remake, they were essentially just zombies wearing a coat made of leaves and vines.  It makes me wonder whether that was an artistic decision or if the developers deemed it necessary to repurpose the rig of a standard zombie due to development costs/time, as opposed to creating an entirely new model with its own unique animation and skeletal structure.

Bazooka

Yeah I was miffed at the triffids redesign.

Bazooka

Quote from: popcorn on May 08, 2019, 12:21:51 PM

The bosses were all fucked around with for one.

biggytitbo

I like it when Brian Butterfield turns up -

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 04, 2019, 07:55:47 PM
I like it when Brian Butterfield turns up -

I'm av (ataring) that

biggytitbo

I was really enjoying this game until that big in destructive fucker in the trench coat turns up and down its shit. What were they thinking?

bgmnts

The sense of dread and terror I think.

St_Eddie

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 05, 2019, 06:57:58 PM
I was really enjoying this game until that big in destructive fucker in the trench coat turns up and down its shit. What were they thinking?

Should have been exclusive to the B scenario, like the original.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 06, 2019, 09:55:42 AM
Should have been exclusive to the B scenario, like the original.
It made more sense that way. You play though the A game, then when you go through B, the game is saying "you think that was tough? Have this cunt following you around too."

biggytitbo

What's the B-scenario? I'm playing as Claire but this is a first playthrough.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 06, 2019, 10:32:15 AM
What's the B-scenario? I'm playing as Claire but this is a first playthrough.
So that's your A-scenario. The B is playing as Leon, so you find out what he was up to the whole time, except in the remake it mainly turns out to be "exactly the same as Claire".

St_Eddie

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on June 06, 2019, 10:34:16 AM
So that's your A-scenario. The B is playing as Leon, so you find out what he was up to the whole time, except in the remake it mainly turns out to be "exactly the same as Claire".

Haha.  So true.

biggytitbo

I thought he was probably hiding in a cupboard somewhere crying.

Bazooka

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on June 06, 2019, 10:34:16 AM

Almost as if the development team had a checklist for remaking the game and the last requirement was to make an alternative play through and make it identical to the first. Despite RE2 being brilliant anyway, its alternative scenarios is what transcended it to excellence.

bgmnts

To be fair making it two separate things would require effort.