Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:24:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Started by bgmnts, January 12, 2019, 05:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: Bazooka on June 06, 2019, 02:07:57 PM
Almost as if the development team had a checklist for remaking the game and the last requirement was to make an alternative play through and make it identical to the first. Despite RE2 being brilliant anyway, its alternative scenarios is what transcended it to excellence.

You're more right than you know.  The remake was originally a single playthrough; alternating between Leon and Claire.  The decision to split the two was made at the 11th hour, hence the tacked on feeling.

biggytitbo

Playing the Leon b story and it is substantially different, with whole new scenes, areas and characters. If I'd listened to you guys I'd never have bothered!

Thursday

Did you go straight from Leon A to Leon B? Is that possible?

*edit* just realised this is a dumb question

biggytitbo

Claire A to Leon B. Or is Leon B just the same as Leon A?

Thursday

It changes depending on who you pick first. So whoever you pick first will enter the station through the front, whoever you pick 2nd will enter from the side.

biggytitbo

Yes, the parts in the police station are more a variation with slightly different areas, but now I'm playing as Ada and it feels like a totally different game.

St_Eddie

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 08, 2019, 08:57:31 PM
Yes, the parts in the police station are more a variation with slightly different areas, but now I'm playing as Ada and it feels like a totally different game.

That's quite hyperbolic, I must say.  It's fine that you're having a grand old time but come on, let us not pretend that it's an entirely different game on the B scenario.  Are you not fighting the same bosses that you fought within the A scenario?  Are you not solving the same puzzles which you solved within the A scenario?  You may say that it's a "totally different game" but objectively; no, it's not.  In minor ways?  Sure, but on the whole?  Heck, no.  Not even close.

However, I digress; I'm glad that you're enjoying the remake of Resident Evil 2.  It's a blast and a half, for sure.  Having said that, I wish that I could enjoy it as much as you are.  The remake of the first game is within my top ten games of all time.  The remake of the sequel is a good game but a flawed game, in my opinion at least.  I'm kind of torn between the original and the remake.  Both have their benefits and both have their weaknesses; the original for its atmosphere and gameplay and the sequel for its story and characters.

AsparagusTrevor

Claire and Leon do have significantly different stories, however the B scenarios do not change much of their respective A scenarios. That's what Biggy is picking up on, he's played Claire's game and now he's playing Leon's with all the story differences that come with the change in characters.

Kelvin

I haven't played the game, but why does the experience being mostly the same in subsequent runthroughs matter so much to whether the game is good or not? Surely it's that first pass through that matters most, and if it's good, you enjoy further playthroughs doing the same thing anyway. Resi4 doesn't change much in new game plus, but I still played through it 3 times back to back when I first owned it. 

I think because of expectations that the first game's A&B routes complemented each other so well that it's hard to understand how they could do it worse after all this time.

Thursday

Quote from: Kelvin on June 09, 2019, 10:32:27 AM
I haven't played the game, but why does the experience being mostly the same in subsequent runthroughs matter so much to whether the game is good or not? Surely it's that first pass through that matters most, and if it's good, you enjoy further playthroughs doing the same thing anyway. Resi4 doesn't change much in new game plus, but I still played through it 3 times back to back when I first owned it.

Because Leon and Claire's stories are supposed to run parallel, so it doesn't make sense that you're doing the same things. There's differences sure, but then there's points where you're fighting the same boss, in the same location. Solving the same puzzle, to get the same key to open the same door in the same way. So it doesn't make any sense.

The fact that they then add B-scenarios really makes a mockery of it, because it then mean's there's bits that will happen the same way 4 times. My feeling is, if they weren't going to do it properly, they shouldn't have bothered, and just had 1 scenario for each character.

It raised an expectation that it didn't deliver on. I know I'm not going to get anything different on multiple playthroughs of Resident Evil 4, so I'm not going to be disappointed.

biggytitbo

Yes that is weird, but I guess you just have to suspend disbelief and assume the other character did different things when you weren't controlling them. I've not finished the Leon playthrough yet but as soon as you leave the police station the game totally diverges from Claire's - the puzzles, locations and characters are all completely different, so far.

Bazooka

Quote from: Kelvin on June 09, 2019, 10:32:27 AM

I don't need to mimic what others have replied, but in the original it felt like a new adventure, here its just the odd insubstantial tweak here and there. Doesn't make it a bad game by any means, just lost the impact the scenarios once had. But hey I'm glad the series is still going strong, I really don't know what the next RE release will be.

Kelvin

Thanks for the responses. If it really was a different, complimentary story in the original game - one which added up to a whole - I can understand why expectations might have been set differently. I'm currently playing through Resi 1 HD Remake on Switch, and I had assumed that the subsequent runthroughs in Resi 2 were more like playing through that with Jill after completing it with Chris (or the other way round), i.e. basically the same game and story, but with slightly different cutscenes. In other words, an alternative take on the same narrative, rather than another half of it.   

Bazooka

RE1 remake on a handheld? Damn just shot my beans.

Anyway, in RE1 (both Ps1 and remake) Chris and Jill effectively progress through all the same scenarios, but Jill meets Barry and Chris has Rebecca. Weapons, inventory slots and stats are different.

In RE2 what made the A/B scenario so fun was the B scenario started at a different point in the story, and it introduced the infamous Mr X, also when you play through scenario A you can choose to leave some equipment to your mate Leon or Claire.

biggytitbo

Mr X is the shittest character in any video game. What's so great about RE2 is the atmosphere, slowly making your way around these dark creaky corridors taking it all in. That goes out the window once that twat turns up as you have to frantically run around instead to avoid him, hardly having a second to take in your surroundings. Enemies that are indestructible are also a terrible idea.

The Culture Bunker

Like others said above, if he'd just popped up on the second run through, it would have been fine. There's a certain tension in hearing the dozy fucker clomping his way through a nearby corridor and not knowing which way he's coming from, especially when trying to tiptoe past some Lickers, but having to go through it twice is just overkill.

bgmnts

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 10, 2019, 09:41:28 AM
Mr X is the shittest character in any video game. What's so great about RE2 is the atmosphere, slowly making your way around these dark creaky corridors taking it all in. That goes out the window once that twat turns up as you have to frantically run around instead to avoid him, hardly having a second to take in your surroundings. Enemies that are indestructible are also a terrible idea.

He's worse than Nemesis?

biggytitbo

The rumour is thats the next one they're remaking Resident Evil 3: Nemesis. Would surely make sense to remake the real third game though - Code Veronica, which is much better regarded?

bgmnts

Is it? I understand Nemesis is a big favourite with most fans and Code Veronica is a bit of an outcast. I'm not exactly in the know but I have very very fond memories of the former.

The latter is by the hardest Resi game i've played, still haven't completed it to this day. And that has already been remastered on the xbox 360 at least.

St_Eddie

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 11, 2019, 07:49:58 PM
The rumour is thats the next one they're remaking Resident Evil 3: Nemesis. Would surely make sense to remake the real third game though - Code Veronica, which is much better regarded?

They'll definitely do a remake of Resident Evil 3: Nemesis next, for the reasons stated by bgmnts; it's the better known and loved of the two (by most, if not myself) and Code Veronica only just had a remastered release fairly recently.  Also, it's been rumoured that both a remake of Resident Evil 3: Nemesis and Resident Evil 8 are currently in development and I see no reason to doubt that.  It's just common sense really.

Thursday

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 11, 2019, 07:49:58 PM

No it would make more sense to remake the 3rd game, because 3 comes after 2. Can't even count you idiot.

Moribunderast

Code Veronica can get to eternal fuck for letting me board a plane without enough weapons to kill the boss on it, 15 hours into gameplay. I loved that game and it burned me.

Bazooka

Quote from: Moribunderast on June 12, 2019, 12:34:19 PM
Code Veronica can get to eternal fuck for letting me board a plane without enough weapons to kill the boss on it, 15 hours into gameplay. I loved that game and it burned me.

Yeah that tyrant cunt, got me on the first play through.

bgmnts

I had around 15-20 cracks at plane Tyrant with only a few handgun bullets and a knife and managed to do it. I went fucking mental when I got that cut-scene but the smile faded slowly from my face when I realised you still have to do the whole Antarctica shit with no ammo or health items as you lost what little you had left in that stupidly tough boss fight.

I assume you get some if you persevere but CVX can really get to fuck. I like it though because Steve Burnside is one of the most hilariously shit characters in any fiction.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Thursday on June 12, 2019, 06:25:35 AM
No it would make more sense to remake the 3rd game, because 3 comes after 2. Can't even count you idiot.

Resident Evil Code Veronica is the real 3rd game - READ YOUR RESIDENT EVIL HISTORY YOU DUNG.

Anyway, its news to me that Nemesis is the better known and regarded game, I always thought Nemesis was the most obscure game in the main series. I suppose that makes it good fodder for a remake, but CV is a more exciting prospect.

Thursday

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 12, 2019, 07:18:54 PM
Resident Evil Code Veronica is the real 3rd game - READ YOUR RESIDENT EVIL HISTORY YOU DUNG.

I AM AWARE. It doesn't matter though.

Anyway I came to them both much later, and enjoyed Resi 3 a lot more than Veronica. Code Veronica really seemed to drag on.

Space ghost

Yes nemesis is shite and worse than resident evil zero. CV remake would be lovely but it's quite a long game so I imagine the full 3D remake treatment would be a very lengthy and expensive process for Capcom and maybe not worth the effort considering its outlier status.

St_Eddie

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 12, 2019, 07:18:54 PM
...its news to me that Nemesis is the better known and regarded game, I always thought Nemesis was the most obscure game in the main series. I suppose that makes it good fodder for a remake, but CV is a more exciting prospect.

Code Veronica is more obscure than Nemesis, if nothing more than by virtue of the fact that the was initially released as a Dreamcast exclusive (it wasn't ported to the PS2 until a year after its initial release).  Nemesis is undoubtedly the better known of the two.  I mean, come on, a shit ton of gamers are aware of the whole "STARRSSSS" quote.  It's iconic.  To me, the scene of the Ashford twins pulling off a dragon fly's wings and feeding its helpless, squirming body to a nest of ants is equally iconic - but most gamers wouldn't even be aware of it.

Quote from: Thursday on June 12, 2019, 07:53:05 PM
Anyway I came to them both much later, and enjoyed Resi 3 a lot more than Veronica. Code Veronica really seemed to drag on.

Whilst I prefer Code Veronica to Nemesis, there's no denying that the former does indeed drag on (when you reach Antarctica - the halfway point - it feels as though the game should be wrapping up) and also, it's too difficult for its own good.  Your average gamer will encounter many, many 'game overs' in Code Veronica, sending them back to their last save point and only further exacerbating the overly long nature of the game's length.

bgmnts

Quote from: Space ghost on June 12, 2019, 07:56:06 PM
Yes nemesis is shite and worse than resident evil zero. CV remake would be lovely but it's quite a long game so I imagine the full 3D remake treatment would be a very lengthy and expensive process for Capcom and maybe not worth the effort considering its outlier status.

The game with one of most iconic characters in video games is worse than a game where the main antagonist is a leech and enemies are baboons and toads. Behave.