Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:53:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Started by bgmnts, January 12, 2019, 05:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

Dinosaurs are popular still, when are they going to remake Dino Crisis?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Bazooka on June 16, 2019, 01:14:11 AM
Dinosaurs are popular still, when are they going to remake Dino Crisis?

Either a remake, a remaster or a sequel is bound to happen at some point.  I'm surprised there's been nothing since Dino Crisis 3, to be honest.  I mean, yes, the third game was absolutely awful but more than enough time has passed.  If I were a betting man, I'd say some kind of resurrection of the series is due within the next decade.

H-O-W-L

Cunt revival but I have to say I probably like Nemesis the most out of the RE series, though RE4 is probably a close second to that. Revisionism means a lot of daft cunts now think RE4 is bad or ruined the series but it's still a belter of a game, I just can't stand it anymore because I've done it to death.

RE2R was good but really not a game I've had a desire to replay. Looking at the mechanics more in-depth has also made me very disappointed in the game's design as a whole.

bgmnts

Who the fuck thinks Resident Evil 4 is in any way bad?

H-O-W-L

bgmnts

Okay for any cunts reading it goes like this:

Resi 2
Resi 4
REmake
Resi 3
REmake 0
Resi 1
Resi 7
Resi Outbreak
Resi Revelations 2
Resi 5
Resi Outbreak 2
Resi 0
Resi Revelations
Resi 6

Everything else like the Chronicles and the Survivor game and Gaiden and shite like that.

biggytitbo

What is your list meant to signify?

biggytitbo

Ohh..Theres no code Veronica or resident evil 2 remake in there?

bgmnts

Oops! There are so many resi games. Remake 2 i'm not quite sure on but CV goes somewhere between resi 1 and resi 5. It's way too long.

Ferris

I really liked RE: Survivor, the on-the-rails shooter from the early '00s. Those light gun on the rails games seem to have fallen out of favour, but I though they were great fun. Silly entertainment with easy drop-in/drop-out and lots of replay value, exactly what video games should be.

Honourable mention for the House of the Dead series which I played the absolute shit out of at university on the Dreamcast. Years later, I still laugh with friends about the godawful dialogue and voice acting. "Dogs of the AMS", "G's bloodstains!", "How could anyone do this?!" Etc etc.

H-O-W-L

I really contest ranking REmake above RE3. I enjoy REmake but I really feel it's vastly overrated and lacking in a certain atmosphere that the original RE trilogy defined very well. The lack of color and the lack of that dynamite combination of cheap-yet-haunting aesthetics really kills it stone fucking dead for me. It's trying vastly too hard to be dark and edgy and as a result every character feels like a fucking human plank. As much as I love how Julia Voth's Jill looks, they really gave her no proper emotions and completely dead, glassy eyes that react to everything like she's on a dose of smack.

It's like the remake of Dawn of the Dead versus the original, for me. Technically superior in every single way but a certain atmos has been lost that can never be regained, even if it's an easier and more swallowable watch most of the time.

RE3 might be silly as fuck voice acting wise but it's infinitely more atmospheric IMO. Just go stand out in the street and listen to the cooling September winds blowing, carrying the hollow moans of the massing undead and tell me you aren't chilled to the fucking bone. Try it, chopper.

bgmnts

Don't get me wrong I LOVE 3, I reckon if they actually had some time to make a proper game - it's way too short and I think it was meant to be something else at the start of production - then it'd be up there.

Nemesis still terrifies the 8 year old in me and I used to be genuinely scared playing it when he'd pop up. I am really annoyed they did Mr X in RE 2 as a constant threat as it works better with Nemesis, if they were to do a remake of this game which I think they may.

Maybe i'm being harsh on it but it doesn't feel as complete as 2. It feels like a bit more of a cash-in.

Maybe I should put it above REmake though.

H-O-W-L

I think RE2 is the experiment whereas RE3 is the refinement of the model. Same asset base with new additions, general gameplay improvements, puzzles de-wankerified for the most part, and turned into a neat, tight little bundle of a game. I think RE3's length is pretty much perfect for what it is, I don't know what more you could toss in without buggering its pretty good, relatively frenetic pacing.

madhair60

Quote from: bgmnts on August 25, 2019, 09:12:05 PM
Okay for any cunts reading it goes like this:

Resi 2
Resi 4
REmake
Resi 3
REmake 0
Resi 1
Resi 7
Resi Outbreak
Resi Revelations 2
Resi 5
Resi Outbreak 2
Resi 0
Resi Revelations
Resi 6

Everything else like the Chronicles and the Survivor game and Gaiden and shite like that.

If you have a friend to play local co-op with, crank up Resi 5, 6 and Rev 2 about seven places each and we're onto something here

Ferris

6 was objectively toilets though. It may have had more value as a coop, but it would still be shit.

bgmnts

Yeah fair do's to the other two but 6 is grim.

In fact, I the best parts of those two titles IS the multiplayer. Especially Revelations 2, I loved the unique multiplayer in that.

H-O-W-L

RE5 gets really worryingly racist around the midpoint so bear that in mind if you're playing with a mate.

I don't mean "you kill black people" racist, I mean "they suddenly bring out stereotypical tribal archetypes that use a dizzying blend of real tribal traits with Crash Bandicoot tier stupidity, complete with an enemy subclass called 'Spear Chucker'". A mate of mine who studied African tribal culture at uni was sent into a frothing conniption trying to parse what fucking culture they were meant to represent.

Everyone conveniently forgets that bit.

bgmnts

It was made by the Japanese though, they can't be racist.

magval

Quote from: H-O-W-L on August 25, 2019, 10:07:59 PM
It's like the remake of Dawn of the Dead versus the original, for me. Technically superior in every single way

Ye wha?

H-O-W-L

Quote from: magval on August 26, 2019, 08:35:33 AM
Ye wha?

The cinematography and the special effects of the Dawn of the Dead remake are technically superior in every way, IE the technology and construction is of a greater objective quality, but it is not a better film. In fact arguably you can say the effectiveness of the original (both RE and DOTD) with lesser tech and available budget make them greater successes.

Ferris

Quote from: H-O-W-L on August 26, 2019, 05:05:41 AM
RE5 gets really worryingly racist around the midpoint so bear that in mind if you're playing with a mate.

I don't mean "you kill black people" racist, I mean "they suddenly bring out stereotypical tribal archetypes that use a dizzying blend of real tribal traits with Crash Bandicoot tier stupidity, complete with an enemy subclass called 'Spear Chucker'". A mate of mine who studied African tribal culture at uni was sent into a frothing conniption trying to parse what fucking culture they were meant to represent.

Everyone conveniently forgets that bit.

Oh I thought that was 6, part of the reason I thought it was so awful.

Ok 5 is right down in the gutter along with 6 then.

H-O-W-L

6 has a baffling sequence where you fall through the floor in a church in the Midwestern United States and end up in an Aztec temple full of dessicated zombies after escaping a giant shark-beast mutant-monster in a nightmarishly arse QTE sequence. It also has a lot of weirdly insensitive Slavic archetypes in the Jake sequences, including a really worryingly realistic depiction of Grozny sieges and the Balkan wars... right up until the giant monster from RE4 shows up and you have to rocket him to death.

Evils five and six are really some of the strangest, most cocaine-addled games put to print and I don't reccommend anyone actually play them just by sheer virtue of the fact that for all their wackiness playing them is actually bone-drainingly shit. Just really, really fucking dull at the end of the day. I don't remember most of the moment to moment gameplay of RE6 just because it was a cake and arse party when it wasn't being ludicrous.

I saw a Youtuber say Six was the "best worst game" because you can 'ave a larf at the shittiness of it but it's really just a slog. A 20+ hour slog too because it has like nine campaigns, and if you ask me it's really not worth it. If I wasn't getting black-out drunk every night back then I would never have beaten Six with my mate, I would've tapped out long before then. God knows how he managed it sober.

Thursday

6 is so strange. Like some heads at Capcom got the idea that the games weren't selling now because people wanted really long games like those RPG's and that horror doesn't sell anymore, because people want military shooters like that Call of Duty that's so popular in the west. Just insane thinking.

popcorn

Quote from: Thursday on August 26, 2019, 01:31:55 PM
6 is so strange. Like some heads at Capcom got the idea that the games weren't selling now because people wanted really long games like those RPG's and that horror doesn't sell anymore, because people want military shooters like that Call of Duty that's so popular in the west. Just insane thinking.

And yet they might have been right, because it remains the second-bestselling RE game, behind RE5.

madhair60

Resi 6 is a horrendous frankenstein mess, but I still enjoyed it on co-op because it's you and a mate yelling FOR FUCK SAKE. I also think it has the best shooting in the series - by a mile - but it's applied to such awfully-thought-out scenarios and level design that you never need half of what that game lets you do.

Mercenaries is superb in 6 imo.

Played Darkside Chronicles for the first time today on the Wii. It was great, if a bit hard for me. I'm shit at light gun games. I never know what to do or how to avoid damage. I mean, I'm too shit at shooting rather than anything else. No nervous system maybe. Seemed pretty impressive for the Wii, though, and some funny enemy stuff. The frog men! Scary boss. Lot of jump scares. Scary.

Bazooka

The Chronicle games are good fun, they are what they, the upgrading weapons adds some more padding.

I actually also had fun with Operation Racoon City on ps3, it doesn't try to be more than a multiplayer run and gun, it does what its meant to do.

Ferris

Quote from: Bazooka on August 27, 2019, 12:33:57 AM
The Chronicle games are good fun, they are what they, the upgrading weapons adds some more padding.

I actually also had fun with Operation Racoon City on ps3, it doesn't try to be more than a multiplayer run and gun, it does what its meant to do.

Never heard of it before (I was beyond broke in 2011/12) so I looked it up and the IGN review fragment on Wikipedia review is brill.

Quote"...little more than a poor man's SOCOM and a destitute man's Resident Evil..."

H-O-W-L

Revelations 2 is honestly the post-6 rebound the series needed IMO, it's genuinely tense and threatening at points and has some really creatively grim environments and atmosphere so thick you need a concrete saw to cut through it. The intercut of Barry and Claire sequences also makes its structure very interesting. Moira is also probably the series' best new character, not least because she swears like a docker and has an interesting character quirk for the first few episodes.

I've always felt like RE7 was too hard an attempt at a rebound. It holds up on the first playthrough but any sequential replay of RE7 is dull as shit for about two solid hours because you're retreading all the slow ploddy intro stuff designed to create atmosphere for first-time runners, and you can only skip so much of it. Having to redo all the Jack chase sequences at the start which are basically binary fail/succeed sequences that can't really be excelled at is just fucking dull. I find Outlast and the like to be snoozeworthy at the best of times so playing a game where I know I can actually fight back in the first place but am forced to Run From The Scary Monster Man is really blueballing, figuratively speaking. It's insult to injury.

I think Mr. X is the refinement of that and though I wish they'd saved his pursuit mechanics for Big Poppa Nemesis I feel like he works a lot better than Jack, not least because he actually feels like a convincing and indomitable threat. He LOOKS like a big trundlefucker that could stroll through a mosh pit full of armored knights krumping hard to lute music without stopping, so his use as such in gameplay is convincing; whereas Jack is visibly squishy and gets blowed to smitheroons several times in the plot, making him unconvincing at best.

The only time Mr. X gets killed is by an actual boss character or at the climax so you never feel like you should be able to plant your feet and go Texan Stahyle on him like you should with Jack. It's a disconnect that makes Daddy Jack less of a credible threat and more of a palpable developer-enforced annoyance. Not least because he won't shut his fucking mouth. I love his portrayal but I got tired of his voicelines in my first playthrough, I can't imagine speedrunning it.