Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:23:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Started by bgmnts, January 12, 2019, 05:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

I'll probably pass on this one as I did not enjoy the remake of 2. Very thin gruel.

bgmnts

Quote from: H-O-W-L on December 04, 2019, 02:17:07 AM
That Jill design is shit as is Nemesis. My interest has stumbled significantly.

I will admit it just looks like they plastered on some concept art but I feel they did Leon and Claire really well in 2, so lets have faith!

Bazooka

That's Natalie Portman isn't it?  Big lawsuit coming.

H-O-W-L

I like the design of Nemesis's teeth. I've seen a lot of people joshing about them being xylophone teeth but let's be honest a huge hulking seven foot wanker with massive overgrowing rodent teeth is legitimately quite horrific, especially since massive overgrowth is Nemmy's deal once his coat starts splattering off.

The nose though. Fucking hell it's like a crap Texas Chainsaw mask.

Thursday

Resident Evil characters are supposed to be hot. This won't do.

bgmnts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ4Q4ybfSc4

Proper nerds live streaming this state of play event. Excited now.

Mister Six

Quote from: H-O-W-L on December 04, 2019, 02:17:46 AM
No boob-tube option, no sale, Capcom.

Boob tube available as a pre-order bonus. Of course.

bgmnts

The classic Carlos just looks silly.

Brazilians tend not to have that stupid haircut do they? The afro and darker skin tone just looks much bette. I kinda like Jill's design a bit now too.

Thursday

Quote from: Mister Six on December 10, 2019, 02:37:53 PM
Boob tube available as a pre-order bonus. Of course.

I'm okay with this in this specific example, make the wankers pay extra.

bgmnts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al-9lfEjdgs

Trailer here. Brad Vickers getting some love! Mikhail looks and sounds ace too.

Osmium

Bold move making the voice acting worse than the original version.

Kryton

Just started this (My Christmas prezzy to myself in the Steam sales). Looks gorgeous. The zombies are great, the setting is cool. Just having a quick wander around the police station, soaking up the memories.

Gory as fuck too.

Kryton

Loving this. Shat my pants being chased by a licker in the art room. The cunt.

bgmnts

Finding hardcore 2nd run a bit of a cunt.

I wish I could experience that terror for the first time again, Krton. Well jelly.

Kryton

Quote from: bgmnts on December 24, 2019, 03:40:26 PM
Finding hardcore 2nd run a bit of a cunt.

I wish I could experience that terror for the first time again, Krton. Well jelly.

Also can't quite tell when zombies are proper dead, so find myself tip-toeing around the bodies and being all paranoid looking over my shoulder. The ambient noises are good too. Creepy. The crackling of radio in a locked room, dripping water, distant moaning of the undead.

Kryton

Anyone had any random crashes with this game? Got so far without saving it and BAM it froze then exited.

popcorn

That wasn't a crash, it was because you were scared.

Kryton

Quote from: popcorn on December 28, 2019, 05:14:16 PM
That wasn't a crash, it was because you were scared.

That too. No ammo. Shit load of dogs.

Swoz_MK

Resi 8 news

- Ethan from VII is the protagonist
- first-person
- zombies return
- new enemy type: werewolves
- new stalker enemy type
- Chris Redfield will return in some form

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Swoz_MK on January 28, 2020, 02:11:25 PM
Resi 8 news

- first-person
- zombies return
- new stalker enemy type
- Chris Redfield will return in pog form

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Swoz_MK on January 28, 2020, 02:11:25 PM
Resi 8 news

- first-person
- zombies return
- new stalker enemy type
- Chris Redfield will return in some form

Boring. RE7 worked because it was an unexpected experiment. A new one will really not get the same level of good faith reception and will be rightly shat upon. RE7 doesn't hold up on replay at all, it falls apart like the worst Outlast clone with guns imaginable. Sitting through that intro hour all over again to do it on Madhouse is insufferable.

This is sounding like what RE6 was to RE5 and 4. Take all the last innovations and reuse them, but shitter.

Jim Bob

Eh.  Sounds good to me.  They don't have to reinvent the wheel with every single sequel, just like Resident Evil 2 didn't need to do anything other than expand and improve upon the formula of the first game.

bgmnts

Quote from: Jim Bob on January 28, 2020, 08:24:34 PM
Eh.  Sounds good to me.  They don't have to reinvent the wheel with every single sequel, just like Resident Evil 2 didn't need to do anything other than expand and improve upon the formula of the first game.

Your expectations of games and films are wildly different its interesting.

Jim Bob

Quote from: bgmnts on January 28, 2020, 08:37:25 PM
Your expectations of games and films are wildly different its interesting.

It's almost as though they were different mediums...

popcorn

Like films and movies you mean?

I'm with Jim in that I don't think you need to reinvent the wheel each time for a sequel - lots of great sequels are just more but in fresh configurations. I thought much of RE7 was terrific and I'd be happy with more FPS stuff while they continue ploughing the "classic" RE stuff with the remakes.

Quote from: H-O-W-L on January 28, 2020, 08:14:05 PM
RE7 worked because it was an unexpected experiment.

That wasn't why it worked for me. I thought the things that worked about it - specifically the old-school RE level design transplanted to a super-immediate, super-immersive perspective - worked very well indeed. The sense of place was brilliant. It wasn't really about a sense of novelty.

Jim Bob

Quote from: popcorn on January 29, 2020, 03:51:32 AM
Like films and movies you mean?

No, because they're the same medium, just different sides of the same coin :p

bgmnts

Quote from: Jim Bob on January 29, 2020, 02:49:15 AM
It's almost as though they were different mediums...

Just odd to be so cynical for one thing and so open minded for the other is all.

Jim Bob

Quote from: bgmnts on January 29, 2020, 12:47:32 PM
Just odd to be so cynical for one thing and so open minded for the other is all.

I judge each thing as it comes and on its own terms.  There's nothing odd, nor contradictory about it at all.

I loved Resident Evil VII and I see plenty of potential still left within that particular formula, ergo it doesn't bother me if Capcom stick to the same style and gameplay, whilst exploring a new narrative.  Since when have videogame sequels been expected to reinvent things from the ground up with every single sequel?  It's acceptable to evolve.  Not everything has to be a revolution.  Something only needs to be reinvented when the formula becomes stale.  Given that we've only had one game in the style of VII, it's hardly surprising that it's not stale yet.

H-O-W-L

I don't expect everything to be a revolution but I feel like without the shock value of being a major detour I feel like RE7 would've been rated mediocrely at best, because it is a very overwhelmingly mediocre game that verges on stream/reaction bait at some turns. When you're playing the moment-to-moment snot monster whack-a-mole you start to rapidly see how and where the game cheats to fuck with you and create Dank Facecam Moments (like how the Molded literally turn invisible and gain super speed when out of your sight or how Jack can teleport like a bastard). It's why I loved Mr. X and the zombies in RE2MAKE, they had consistent movement patterns and didn't teleport. Mr. X only teleports in one specific scenario.

H-O-W-L

My favorite RE7 bits are Jack's 55th Birthday and the Nightmare DLC, because both of them lock down the Molded and Jack fast-speed stuff and force them to obey standard conventions. I feel like those are very strong. However I hate the crippled FOV still. It makes the game nauseating in a bad way.