Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:34:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Started by bgmnts, January 12, 2019, 05:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

I really enjoyed 7 pretty much the whole way through. I'll enjoy 8 too most likely

popcorn

Quote from: madhair60 on January 30, 2020, 10:18:52 AM
I really enjoyed 7 pretty much the whole way through. I'll enjoy 8 too most likely

what, even the shit bits?

you didn't actually like the SHIT bits did you?

Mister Six

Quote from: H-O-W-L on January 30, 2020, 01:39:10 AM
I don't expect everything to be a revolution but I feel like without the shock value of being a major detour I feel like RE7 would've been rated mediocrely at best, because it is a very overwhelmingly mediocre game that verges on stream/reaction bait at some turns. When you're playing the moment-to-moment snot monster whack-a-mole you start to rapidly see how and where the game cheats to fuck with you and create Dank Facecam Moments (like how the Molded literally turn invisible and gain super speed when out of your sight or how Jack can teleport like a bastard). It's why I loved Mr. X and the zombies in RE2MAKE, they had consistent movement patterns and didn't teleport. Mr. X only teleports in one specific scenario.

I gave up on it because it was so tedious. Annoys me how the torch won't light up corners of the house even when you walk right up to them. Annoys me how awkward the movement is. Annoys me how Jack just materialises when the game needs him to. Felt like I was fighting the game itself rather than the baddies.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: popcorn on January 30, 2020, 03:06:43 PM

Really hate this kind of posting that comes out whenever I criticize a game. It really is the same fucking shit as you're inferring I'm doing. Woe be it I have a differing opinion, that must mean I hate and crush all other opinions. I just didn't like the game mate. Other people still can, and they're very welcome to.

bgmnts

No idea what that's all about but popcorn should be banned from Resi Evil chat as far as i'm concerned

popcorn

No one knows resident evil better than popcorn, pal!

madhair60

Quote from: popcorn on January 30, 2020, 03:06:43 PM

I liked it overall yeah. I can't recall anything I thought was really, really shonk. The boat bit is less good than the house bit. I haven't tried the DLC yet.

popcorn

Quote from: madhair60 on January 31, 2020, 08:36:14 AM
I liked it overall yeah. I can't recall anything I thought was really, really shonk. The boat bit is less good than the house bit. I haven't tried the DLC yet.

I moaned about it in the last thread but I can't think of a game in recent memory that has had more extremes for me. Absolutely loved the spooky house, thought the boat stuff was a total energy drop, and then the one DLC pack I tried was like a fucking fever dream, nauseatingly bad.

I still think RE4 is the only RE that is properly good from start to finish.

Jim Bob

The boat section at the end of Resident Evil VII was really fucking bad, but everything which proceeded it was so damn good that the game still gets a 9/10 from me.  It's my third favourite horror game of all time.

AsparagusTrevor

My first full playthrough of RE7 was in VR (including its DLC) and it was one of my favourite ever gaming experiences. Any shortcomings were greatly outweighed by the immersion and amplified horror.

Ferris

Quote from: bgmnts on January 31, 2020, 03:34:00 AM
No idea what that's all about but popcorn should be banned from Resi Evil chat as far as i'm concerned

yes

H-O-W-L

My favorite bits of RE7 were the initial Jack stalking sequence up until when you leave the house for the first time. Before that I think the game is a poor Silent Hill and after that it's a poor Resident EVil 5. It's like watching a mate relapse into addiction again. "Oh no, Capcom, I thought you'd made yourself better than this!" sort of thing.

I did love the Jack's 55th Birthday DLC as well as the Nightmare DLC. The End of Zoe DLC was fucking great if only because you play as a hillbilly boxer who punches every enemy to death. The Chris DLC was absolutely awful. Sub-RE5 shite.

I think Capcom's overwhelming arse-rot of overdesign that made RE5 and RE6 such insufferable shite seeps into RE7 at several glaring points, mainly the boat segment, and it's why I have no faith in them to make another non-remake RE that's a wholly good game. RE2 is and was a wholly good game, but that's because it was based on the bones of a good older game.

bgmnts

Nah get a co op partner and Resi 5 is THE TITS tbf.

H-O-W-L

Even drinking Mr. Muscle from the bottle is fun with a co-op partner.

popcorn

Just replayed this.

It's good, but one thing that struck me as a major problem this time is the in-gameplay dialogue. You know, when Claire says stuff like "Asshole!" or "Are you kidding me?" while you're knee-deep in zombies. It's tonally ridiculous - a complete tension-killer, with Claire sounding more like she's dealing with annoying emails from her boss than an undead uprising.

The triggers for it are also badly miscalibrated. She'll often say one of these lines when an enemy looks dead but secretly isn't, which 1) makes no sense - the zombie seems dead so why are you getting annoyed with it? and 2) spoils the tension of whether the zombie is actually dead or not.

You know that big plant you have to kill with the weedkiller stuff? It doesn't do anything in the game except pin a puzzle object to the wall, it can't attack you or anything. But as an experiment I tried shooting it, and this for some reason caused Claire to shout at it "Bastard!" and "Are you serious?". It must have some sort of enemy logic attached to it that causes Claire to react as if it's a zombie.

Other than that, pretty good game, carry on, thanks.

Glebe

I'll prolly pick it up at some stage, I'm still struggling with Code Veronica X at the moment.

Thursday

Quote from: popcorn on March 24, 2022, 12:34:46 PMJust replayed this.

It's good, but one thing that struck me as a major problem this time is the in-gameplay dialogue. You know, when Claire says stuff like "Asshole!" or "Are you kidding me?" while you're knee-deep in zombies. It's tonally ridiculous - a complete tension-killer, with Claire sounding more like she's dealing with annoying emails from her boss than an undead uprising.

Yeah but this is just everywhere now isn't? It's just how people think you're supposed to write dialogue for these things. I'll blame Joss Whedon for it. There's others responsible but he's one of the biggest pricks so.

popcorn

Quote from: Thursday on March 27, 2022, 02:35:06 PMYeah but this is just everywhere now isn't? It's just how people think you're supposed to write dialogue for these things. I'll blame Joss Whedon for it. There's others responsible but he's one of the biggest pricks so.

No, I think it's a different issue.

I'm not talking about that Whedon-style sass that's in everything from Uncharted to Half-Life these days - though that is clearly what RE2 and RE3 are aiming for. The point is that, aside from being tonally wrong, in RE2 it isn't even written, acted or implemented correctly. The dialogue is triggered in all kinds of nonsensical combat scenarios.

Thursday

Ahh I think I know what you mean actually, I do remember thinking there were some odd dialogue triggers.

popcorn

Here's an example. This when you first meet the plant zombies.

She initially reacts to this fresh horror as if someone has just tried to pinch her arse in a pub. Then, after (seemingly) burning the zombie alive, she says "You asshole". This is because the enemy is secretly still alive, so Claire is supposed to responding to that, but from the player's perspective the zombie is dead and not doing anything, so it just sounds stupid.

popcorn

Another example, where a non-interactive entity appears to have enemy properties - so if you shoot it, Claire shouts "Are you serious?!" at it when it doesn't die.

Ferris

I'm delighted this has annoyed you so much.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: popcorn on March 27, 2022, 05:31:29 PMAnother example, where a non-interactive entity appears to have enemy properties - so if you shoot it, Claire shouts "Are you serious?!" at it when it doesn't die.

Are you PROMOTING your Twitch channel?

If so I'm telling of you, I'm having you done.

Ferris

Popcorn's voice is alarmingly similar to mine (albeit without the rakish mid-Atlantic accent).

Terrifying.

popcorn

I was doing an impression of you in those clips. That's why I sound so thick

Glebe

So I picked this up for me Xbox on Microsoft Store for €15. Disappointed to discover that it's been redone as a third-person shooter, I've never been a fan of nor any good at first-person shooters (used to always get obliterated playing against a mate in Halo), thought I find having the character on-screen a bit easier. I could never get into Resi Evil 4 which is where I tuned out of the series.

But I'm just starting to get the hang of it a bit, trying to conserve ammo taking out the zombos. Bit of an added Silent Hill atmos added to it actually. It's flipping difficult in any case.

bgmnts

Quote from: Glebe on April 30, 2022, 11:27:41 PMSo I picked this up for me Xbox on Microsoft Store for €15. Disappointed to discover that it's been redone as a third-person shooter, I've never been a fan of nor any good at first-person shooters (used to always get obliterated playing against a mate in Halo), thought I find having the character on-screen a bit easier. I could never get into Resi Evil 4 which is where I tuned out of the series.

But I'm just starting to get the hang of it a bit, trying to conserve ammo taking out the zombos. Bit of an added Silent Hill atmos added to it actually. It's flipping difficult in any case.

Just to clarify, are you saying you prefer the old school fixed camera angles of the original Resi Evils to the over the shoulder third person shooter camera?

popcorn

Finally someone who is worse at Resi than me!!

Glebe

Quote from: bgmnts on May 01, 2022, 10:11:41 AMJust to clarify, are you saying you prefer the old school fixed camera angles of the original Resi Evils to the over the shoulder third person shooter camera?

Yeah, it's more that I kinda prefer moving a little figure around than the fixed camera. I'm actually enjoying it, it's just I'm more of an adventure gamer than a shoot-'em-up person.

Really it's the difficulty level that I'm struggling with, I was considering starting over on Assisted mode although I'm starting to get the hang of targeting zombies. As has been said they're complete bullet sponges and I'm trying to conserve ammo. Difficult to dodge 'em in the tight corridors of the police station. It's handy that you can save as much as you want though (although I know the hard mode goes with the traditional ink ribbons).

Quote from: popcorn on May 01, 2022, 10:27:35 AMFinally someone who is worse at Resi than me!!

Dunno about that pops, I'm finding this fucker frustrating enough!