Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:55:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Started by bgmnts, January 12, 2019, 05:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: magval on January 17, 2019, 06:47:49 AM
Wonder how much it costs separately? I used to have it on CD.

Pfft!  I had Resident Evil 2 on cassette tape.

magval

I had the single disc one, though, not the mental Japanese 2-discer with the ear on the front and the bonus disc with all the zombie and monster groans, squelches, footsteps, general foley work and a selection of dialogue.

St_Eddie

Yeah, well I had Resident Evil 2 on papyrus, translated into Sanskrit.

magval

Well I (ME, that is, mind) had Resident Evil 2 before there was the Word. Me and God's da played it, before he got Mrs God's da pregnant with God, who then (much later) created everything, including YOU (St. Eddie).

St_Eddie

Quote from: magval on January 17, 2019, 12:58:27 PM
God, who then (much later) created everything, including YOU (St. Eddie).

Well then, you can tell God, from me, that he gone done fucked up big time.

bgmnts

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 17, 2019, 04:52:31 AM
If you preordered the game, then you can select the original soundtrack.  If you didn't preorder the game, then you can select the original soundtrack for the pricey sum of your SSSOOOOUUULLLL.

Capcom are good like that.

Publishers truly are utter wank aren't they? Although pre-ordered the title and I didn't notice that.

St_Eddie

Quote from: bgmnts on January 17, 2019, 01:28:25 PM
Publishers truly are utter wank aren't they? Although pre-ordered the title and I didn't notice that.

It's so messed up.  Gone are the days where publishers would try to give their customers the best possible experience for their £40.  "No, no, no. £40 only buys you the foundation.  It'll cost you many more monies to build on top of it".  They won't see a penny from me for DLC.  The only thing I hate more than publisher's fleecing their customers, are the saps who willingly pay for it.  If you pay for that shit, then you're part of the problem, as you're only encouraging the publishers to further segment their games into additional charges.  Lead by example, I say.

madhair60

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 17, 2019, 01:57:21 PM
It's so messed up.  Gone are the days where publishers would try to give their customers the best possible experience for their £40.  "No, no, no. £40 only buys you the foundation.  It'll cost you many more monies to build on top of it".  They won't see a penny from me for DLC.  The only thing I hate more than publisher's fleecing their customers, are the saps who willingly pay for it.  If you pay for that shit, then you're part of the problem, as you're only encouraging the publishers to further segment their games into additional charges.  Lead by example, I say.

Bad games have always existed and sold for full price. I was, and still am, fairly delighted that DLC exists and I can get expansions to games I love (Binding of Isaac, Black Ops 4, Arkham Knight etc) for a fraction of the cost of a traditional expansion pack. If the game is bad I won't want the DLC.

Happy to be "part of the problem" when gaming is at the absolute best it's ever been for all tastes.

St_Eddie

Quote from: madhair60 on January 17, 2019, 02:15:06 PM
Bad games have always existed and sold for full price. I was, and still am, fairly delighted that DLC exists and I can get expansions to games I love (Binding of Isaac, Black Ops 4, Arkham Knight etc) for a fraction of the cost of a traditional expansion pack. If the game is bad I won't want the DLC.

Happy to be "part of the problem" when gaming is at the absolute best it's ever been for all tastes.

Glad that you're happy.  There's clearly a big market for DLC, which to me is disconcerting.  Having said that, it's a case by case thing; some DLC is well intentioned and worthwhile but most is money grabbing bollocks, which serves to put the publisher before the customer.

Thankfully, most of the games that I play aren't the type of games that have DLC (I mostly play adventure games and retro games), so it doesn't affect me too much.  Still, I don't care for it as a concept, generally speaking.

bgmnts

Quote from: madhair60 on January 17, 2019, 02:15:06 PM

Nutcase.

madhair60

Quote from: bgmnts on January 17, 2019, 02:28:16 PM
Nutcase.

It's true. There's a more diverse scene than ever. I could avoid AAA games and have plenty to play. Old-school genres like point n' click are back, traditionally PC-bound stuff is hitting consoles thanks to Kickstarter etc. It's great!

bgmnts

Quote from: madhair60 on January 17, 2019, 02:32:09 PM
It's true. There's a more diverse scene than ever. I could avoid AAA games and have plenty to play. Old-school genres like point n' click are back, traditionally PC-bound stuff is hitting consoles thanks to Kickstarter etc. It's great!

So its mostly the games that aren't part of the mainstream industry and/or old games?

Diversity just means more shit really. Plus how does that excuse a level of corporate greed so excessive it has an adverse effect on the products you are lapping up? I don't get this.

madhair60

Quote from: bgmnts on January 17, 2019, 02:37:23 PM
So its mostly the games that aren't part of the mainstream industry and/or old games?

Diversity just means more shit really. Plus how does that excuse a level of corporate greed so excessive it has an adverse effect on the products you are lapping up? I don't get this.

I don't have an opinion on corporate greed. I don't really care about it. I don't think there's a way to be a consumer of video games and not give money to cunts, so I just decided to care about other stuff. I used to pay £50 for games with six levels that lasted 25 minutes, I can't be upset about the way things are now. I have so many options. There are so many games being released, so many deep, deep sales, giveaways, communities and constantly supported (with - gasp - DLC) experiences that it's just such a rich hobby nowadays. It was better when I was a kid because almost everything was. I'll never recapture that but I'll continue to enjoy almost everything.

I know I'm in a minority with this shit so I won't argue the toss.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Some DLC is shite, obviously. Some is really good. The DLC for Dishonored amounts to a whole extra game. Spider-Man PS4 didn't get quite that much, but it still lasted me the better part of a week for just over a tenner (I bought the combined DLC in a sale). If you're patient, they usually release those Game of the Year editions, with all the DLC included, for the same price as the initial release.

Also, wasn't the DLC for Resi 7 all free?

madhair60

St_Eddie

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 17, 2019, 02:59:28 PM
Also, wasn't the DLC for Resi 7 all free?

No, only one of the DLCs was free, if I recall correctly (I think that it was 'Not a Hero').

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I thought it sounded too good to be true when someone told me that.

Thursday

madhair is basically right about this, for once.

Ferris

Quote from: magval on January 17, 2019, 06:47:49 AM
Wonder how much it costs separately? I used to have it on CD.

Not sure if this is the joke, but if you had the PS1 disc, you could put it in a CD player and it would play like a normal CD. Used to do it with all my games in the '90s, sometimes you'd get sound files that weren't included in the main game etc.

(I was dead cool in the '90s.)

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 17, 2019, 07:48:45 PM
Not sure if this is the joke, but if you had the PS1 disc, you could put it in a CD player and it would play like a normal CD. Used to do it with all my games in the '90s, sometimes you'd get sound files that weren't included in the main game etc.

I just dug out my RE2 PS1 disc and you lie, you lie!

(It was the Platinum version, if that makes a difference, and I just remembered how I came about owning it. In the Autumn of 1999, the young me was in his first year of Uni and there was a promotion on at the Student Uni. Get a stamp for every pint of Carling and when you hit 30, get a copy of "UEFA Champions League" on PS1. Yay. The guy in my student halls apartment convinced me to go for it, and we did. Then again, so we had a second copy, which we subsequently took to the Guildford branch of HMV and swapped for Resi Evil 2, and I think something else. Fuck me, that was nearly 20 years ago?)

Bazooka

I used to do it with some PC games, mainly the Tomb Raiders,(can't remember if TR1 worked) but cranked up TR2 and head bopped many a time. Quake 2 was also a go to with its industrial rock.

remedial_gash

Isn't that to do with redbook audio, so it skips the data files till something that works. I am a bit shitfaced so not sure. But like when you burned a dreamcast game wrong, so it only played the CD tracks?

Golden E. Pump

On the topic of DLC, the only DLCs I've ever bought were Blood and Wine and Hearts of Stone for Witcher 3. Those are how DLCs should be done. Hours of extra content and basically just more of the game that I love. Hearts of Stone I was dubious about because it only adds a small section of new territory to explore, but the story is perhaps the best, focused piece of narrative I've ever experienced in gaming.

Anyway, Resident Evil 2 looks great. I will be picking this up within the next month or so, even though I've currently got Mortal Kombat X, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Dying Light and South Park: Stick of Truth on the go. Man I wish we had those endless school summers again.

popcorn

I really thought the free RE7 DLC was incredibly bad. I didn't even finish it. Captured absolutely nothing of what made RE7 so magical.

Haven't bothered with the other RE7 packs. I sort of feel like I've missed the boat now. I've moved on, emotionally.

magval

No joke here. I owned the soundtracks for Resident Evil 1-3. Not all games worked in the CD player (though the best two that did were MK Trilogy and Die hard Trilogy).

St_Eddie

Quote from: popcorn on January 18, 2019, 02:22:30 AM
I really thought the free RE7 DLC was incredibly bad. I didn't even finish it. Captured absolutely nothing of what made RE7 so magical.

Haven't bothered with the other RE7 packs. I sort of feel like I've missed the boat now. I've moved on, emotionally.

I agree.  The latter DLC for Resident Evil VII was shite.  The first two DLC packs were great though; they managed to capture the horror of the main game, whilst expanding on the story in a very satisfying way.

Osmium

I ran out of time on the demo because I feel compelled to check every cranny like an absolute prick. It was alright, bit dark mind. Not sure it captures the "feel" of the original lot of games.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Osmium on January 19, 2019, 08:42:31 PM
I ran out of time on the demo because I feel compelled to check every cranny like an absolute prick. It was alright, bit dark mind. Not sure it captures the "feel" of the original lot of games.
I wonder how "far" you can go? I imagine I took far too long doing basic stuff - got one key and as far up as the third floor. I think I was just about to run into a licker, as I saw one scurry past the window before time ran out.

Certainly the gore level seems amped up, with the fate of the poor sod you try to pull under the shutters being pretty graphic. Perhaps I'm just a shit player, but getting headshots seemed tricky - and most zombies needed three of the bastards until they went down.

Not entirely sure I want to pay full-whack for it...

TrenterPercenter

Sounds like you were very close to completing the demo - it isn't actually all that long if you know what you are doing.

I'm a little skeptical but it looks great and I think will be much more fun not having to dash about, it's my kindof game and the next conceivable game I will buy isn't out until end of March so I've ordered it, meh why not.

I can't remember anything really of the original so it will seem quite fresh for me.

The Culture Bunker

Oh, believe me, I'm incredibly tempted... I felt the tension of carefully walking down corridors, wary of what might jump out when you have eight bullets left. But I bought Ace Combat 7 on Friday as a present to myself for getting a promotion at work - so I'll get through that first and have a pop at that Detroit: Being Human too.

Hopefully, by the time I've got through that lot, RE2 will have dropped down a tenner or so. Besides, I've had enough nerve-shredding this month already with that SOMA from PS+.