Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:40:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Started by bgmnts, January 12, 2019, 05:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timothy

Also in doubt. The demo was great but from my memory this was a very short game. 15 hours or so on multiple playthroughs.

Bazooka

Quote from: Timothy on January 21, 2019, 09:36:11 PM
Also in doubt. The demo was great but from my memory this was a very short game. 15 hours or so on multiple playthroughs.

I mean once you know you can run past nearly every enemy, yes. This looks like the enemies are harder to tank evade. I assume it has the B scenarios, we know it has survivor mode.

TrenterPercenter

I dunno 8 hrs play through is better if it those 8 hrs are great, it's like 4 horror movies which would cost the same at £12 a pop at the cinema.  I'm not keen when games go on too long and become a boring (RDR2 for example).

I really enjoyed RE7, the attention to detail and atmosphere really made it special (up until you leave the house and go on that stupid boat)

I'm gonna give it a go I think, the only other game I would consider buying in the next 6 weeks would be Metro Exodus (which i know nothing about) or this Occupation game (also no nothing about).

St_Eddie

The reviews are in...

Eurogamer: "Recommended"

Saudi Gamer: "Excellent"

Rely on Horror: 10/10

God Is A Geek: 10/10

Press Start: 10/10

Gadgets 360: 10/10

GameSpew: 10/10

GamingBolt: 10/10

Stevivor: 10/10

ZTGD: 10/10

Guardian: 5/5

Heavy: 10/10

Fandom: 5/5

Digitally Downloaded: 5/5

PlayStation Universe: 9.5/10

PC Gamer: 89/100

Game informer: 9.5/10

Cultured Vultures: 9.5/10

PSU: 9.5/10

True Gaming: 9.5/10

Easy Allies: 9/10

Shacknews: 9/10

Gamespot: 9/10

DualShockers: 9/10

XGN: 9/10

Destructoid: 9/10

Comicbook: 4/5

Famitsu: 37/40

IGN: 8.8/10

bgmnts

Cookdandbomb: 5/10

Seriously I am fucking so hyped for this. Quite fitting that my possible last gaming experience will be a remake of my possible first gaming experience.

St_Eddie

Quote from: bgmnts on January 23, 2019, 12:16:52 AM
Seriously I am fucking so hyped for this. Quite fitting that my possible last gaming experience will be a remake of my possible first gaming experience.

Why might it be your last gaming experience?

bgmnts

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 23, 2019, 12:19:57 AM
Why might it be your last gaming experience?

Bored of it. Like film and television nothing new does anything for me anymore. May as well pursue other things.

magval

I thought Ed's list was a windup (made believable with a couple of real institutions, but come on like, "Saudi Gamer" SECOND on the list, fucking CULTURED VULTURES), but no, forgot me book on the bus this morning and looked a few of them up, and they're all real.

Honestly thought this was going to get slated. Not sure I want to play it yet (awful depressed this winter and games like this don't help) but summer, most likely.

Timothy

Campaign is 8 hours for Leon and 3 for Claire.

48 euros? No deal!

Bazooka

Quote from: Timothy on January 23, 2019, 09:29:04 AM

48 euros? No deal!

That's a very odd ratio.

magval

That's presuming everyone plays as Leon first. The original was similarly weighted. I played Leon A/Claire B last week and ended up running around 5hrs/3hrs.

bgmnts

Going to have to wait til after the weekend to play this. Fucking livid. Anyone puts spoilers in here I will snap you in half like a twig.

Mister Six

48 euros? No deal!

11 hours for $60 isn't bad if you're really eager for it. That's $11 for every two hours, which makes it cheaper than going to the cinema in New York, and I find I just don't have the time for mammoth fucking video games any more. I'll still wait and pick it up second-hand, or maybe with any DLC in a GOTY format though.

biggytitbo

Quote from: bgmnts on January 23, 2019, 05:56:07 AM
Bored of it. Like film and television nothing new does anything for me anymore. May as well pursue other things.

The lute maybe?

AsparagusTrevor

Bazooka

I've watched some footage of segments from the full game, but didn't see the bowgun for Claire, I loved that weapon. I also wonder if they will do the whole 'leave this item here for the other character to collect, which I always thought was an underused notion in games.

St_Eddie

Quote from: magval on January 23, 2019, 08:19:35 AM
I thought Ed's list was a windup (made believable with a couple of real institutions, but come on like, "Saudi Gamer" SECOND on the list, fucking CULTURED VULTURES), but no, forgot me book on the bus this morning and looked a few of them up, and they're all real.

Heh.  I pulled that list of review scores from a reddit thread and some of those website names made me raise an eyebrow too.  'God Is A Geek'?  I mean what kind of name is that for a website?!  An absurd name, is what it is.  I mean, everyone knows that there's no such thing as Geek.

Quote from: bgmnts on January 23, 2019, 05:56:07 AM

I find that it's perfectly normal to become burnt out and tire of a hobby for a period of time.  I tend to alternate between films and videogames, so as soon I start to get bored of one hobby, I switch to the other for a few months.  By the time that I come back to the other hobby, my enthusiasm has been renewed.

I think that you'll likely get back into gaming after an extended break.  Then again, perhaps not but I severely doubt that the Resident Evil 2 remake will be your last ever videogame.  It might feel that way now but you've (hopefully) got many more decades of life to go and I should imagine that something will pique your interest at some point down the line.

Having said that, like yourself, few modern games interest me (the Resident Evil 2 remake being one of the few exceptions) and so, I mostly stick to retro games.  The great thing about that is there's more classic retro games than I could ever reasonably expect to get around to playing in my lifetime, so I'll never be short of a new experience, even if the game itself is old.

Thursday

48 euros? No deal!

This doesn't correspond to what I've read, but is silly reasoning anyway. I'm glad to have a game I might actually finish.

My copy arrived today, and I've put a couple of hours in and I'm really enjoying it so far. Definitely feeling more like classic Resi in terms of your inventory management, and that thing where you pick up an item and think "huh?" and then suddenly click "oh that'll work on that thing I saw back here."

St_Eddie

Quote from: Thursday on January 24, 2019, 10:39:27 PM
My copy arrived today, and I've put a couple of hours in and I'm really enjoying it so far. Definitely feeling more like classic Resi in terms of your inventory management, and that thing where you pick up an item and think "huh?" and then suddenly click "oh that'll work on that thing I saw back here."

Oh, boy!  Am I ever looking forward to playing this game.  Gonna be a few months yet, due to being poor and yet I'm blooming looking forward to it, I can tell you!  This is gonna be sweet as.

Moribunderast

Just spent about an hour with this. Have to stop to nap then get a haircut but I've got a three-day weekend incoming and the house to myself - RE2 will be my life, I think.

It is FUCKING good, off the first hour. Playing with headphones on, it's atmospheric and tense - every new room you enter causes you to tense up and wonder where a zombie might come from. The music and sound design thus far is excellent and the gore is graphic as fuck. Finding it quite difficult early on, getting bitten by zombies who are on the ground before I get a chance to stab them up. Going to be interesting to see how the balance works between having to fight vs. running past enemies. Early on it seems a mix of both but the corridors are very narrow so trying to run past is a bit suicidal at times.

Can't wait to explore more but my initial reaction is it's already everything I could have hoped for.

St_Eddie

Can you people please stop saying how great this game is.  I get it!  Yeah, it's the second coming but I cannot afford to buy it.  So please could you do the decent thing and tell me that it's a load of old bollocks.  Bunch of rich bastards, having a grand old time.  You shits!

bgmnts

St_Eddie

Timothy

Quote from: Thursday on January 24, 2019, 10:39:27 PM
This doesn't correspond to what I've read, but is silly reasoning anyway. I'm glad to have a game I might actually finish.

Why is it silly reasoning? I can buy a 70 hours game now for 40 euros, finish that in two months and buy this 11 hours game when it's half priced in a few weeks. All games (except Nintendo games) are dropping in price a two months later or so. That's a better deal imo. 11 hours for a 50 euro game isn't enough bang for buck.

Moribunderast

Quote from: Timothy on January 25, 2019, 09:58:58 AM
Why is it silly reasoning? I can buy a 70 hours game now for 40 euros, finish that in two months and buy this 11 hours game when it's half priced in a few weeks. All games (except Nintendo games) are dropping in price a two months later or so. That's a better deal imo. 11 hours for a 50 euro game isn't enough bang for buck.

It comes down to what you want from games. I never bought games first-hand. Am perpetually a year or two behind (except for indie games, which are cheap) but there are a few games I'll buy first day due to pure excitement. This is one of them. I'm totally on board with waiting for sale prices but, if I speak for the poster you quoted, I think for some a streamlined 10-15 hour game is more worthy than a meandering 70 hour game. I paid full price for RE2 and Red Dead 2 - I will almost certainly finish RE2 first because it's a focused, fun experience as opposed to a long, incredibly involved one. I definitely appreciate shorter games more because, much as I wish I did, I just don't have time for longer games. I can't even play RDR2 because I feel like I need 4 hours spare to actually achieve anything. At least with a short game you can put in an hour and make decent headway.

Anyway, drunk now and it's night-time. Gonna put on some headphones and freak out the neighbours with sudden screams.

biggytitbo

I don't think I've ever played a game that doesn't begin to outstay its welcome after about 15-20 hours, beyond then its almost certainly relying on repetition, grinding and copy and pasted enemies to keep you playing, but as much out of loyalty to the time you've already invested rather than its still fresh and exciting and has new stuff to see. A game that lasts a couple of hours a night for a week then starts to wrap up is just about right imo.

Bazooka

I'm going to go digital and download it tomorrow I think, pain in the arse getting discs in China, yet finding the time.......

Yeah fuck off you bastards playing it and enjoying it, scum, pure human scum.

Swoz_MK

I think I may have fucked it and triggered somebody before doing a lot more required exploring, making it 100x harder for myself. Bah. Might start again, only got 3hrs in last night.

Waking Life

I don't really get the quantity over quality focus either; time is far too precious and I have been fighting a massive backlog of media for years. Most long games are just filled with padding and trying to equate that to the cost isn't the same as assessing its value.