Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:10:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sex & The City

Started by Dannyhood91, January 13, 2019, 10:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannyhood91

I've started watching this show recently and I'm almost done with season 1. All the characters are egotistical, petulant, smug, overprivileged cunts and I can't relate two four rich single 30 something white women in Manhattan and the constant smooth jazz is excruciating.

So why do I love this show so much? I can't get enough!

Spiteface

Because you are obviously into self-harming.

Dannyhood91

I can't be the only knobhead who watches this on here

sevendaughters

I find it sort of amusing that you didn't even think to post this in the comedy forum.

garnish

I still enjoy West Wing even though all the characters are smug cunts with terrible politics about how they inspirationally change the law so if you work an extra 50 hours a week you get a 15% discount on your health insurance.

Dannyhood91

Quote from: sevendaughters on January 13, 2019, 02:31:09 PM
I find it sort of amusing that you didn't even think to post this in the comedy forum.

But it isn't strictly a comedy show is it?

bgmnts

I prefer watching my cat lick his own anus.

Sin Agog

Quote from: bgmnts on January 13, 2019, 03:46:33 PM
I prefer watching my cat lick his own anus.

You're so Charlotte!

bgmnts

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Dannyhood91 on January 13, 2019, 02:22:56 PM
I can't be the only knobhead who watches this on here

I watched it when it first went out and liked the first couple of seasons, but I was stoned back then and so my opinion can't be trusted. On the plus side I know three women who had their first orgasms due to the show as beforehand they'd been wary of vibrators so it definitely brought some good to the world.

Brundle-Fly

In much the same way men used to say they only read Playboy for the articles; two 'right on' ex-girlfriends said they only watched Sex And The City to ogle the shoes, clothes and clutch bags. 

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Dannyhood91 on January 13, 2019, 10:51:45 AM
I've started watching this show recently and I'm almost done with season 1. All the characters are egotistical, petulant, smug, overprivileged cunts and I can't relate two four rich single 30 somethingwhite women in Manhattan and the constant smooth jazz is excruciating.

So why do I love this show so much? I can't get enough!

Kim Catrall will be chuffed to bits with you, should she happen to be a lurker, and reads that.

popcorn

I really loved this when it was on telly. I was a teenage boy but I promise I wasn't just watching it for Samantha's tits. I liked the gossipy relationshippy stuff and I thought the characters were great.

A few months ago I started watching it again sort of randomly, from about season 4. For a while I decided it was still quite good, but I became incredibly bored very quickly, and now I can't remember what I was ever enjoying about it. Nonetheless I still feel oddly defensive when people just shit on it without qualification.

Never bothered with the films. I assume they're beyond reproach.

I always thought it was satirizing it's main characters. Maybe the writers and actors saw things differently.

Dannyhood91

Quote from: popcorn on January 13, 2019, 05:35:39 PM
I really loved this when it was on telly. I was a teenage boy but I promise I wasn't just watching it for Samantha's tits. I liked the gossipy relationshippy stuff and I thought the characters were great.

A few months ago I started watching it again sort of randomly, from about season 4. For a while I decided it was still quite good, but I became incredibly bored very quickly, and now I can't remember what I was ever enjoying about it. Nonetheless I still feel oddly defensive when people just shit on it without qualification.

Never bothered with the films. I assume they're beyond reproach.

That's the thing, the characters are great and entertaining but I know I'd loathe them in real life. I don't think about that aspect as much with Soprano's as those characters are also horrible humans but I think it's less likely I'm going to run into a murdererous mafia boss. I don't predict this show to have a long shelf life for me but it is a lot of fun.

Emma Raducanu

My partner was watching this recently on 4music late at night. It's fucking gash mate but part of me found it perfect fodder for that time of night. Someone wanking on about handbags, promotion and her Russian somehow glossed over me in a pleasant mind numbing mental zone out kind of way. Certainly better than newsnight.

Blue Jam

I used to fucking hate this show when it was first broadcast, and at the same time I couldn't stop watching it. I was a first-year undergraduate in halls at the time, and I'd watch it with some of my new neighbours and we'd spend the whole time complaining about how ugly the characters' supposedly stylish outfits were and how they were all awful people- it was fucking great.

Sin Agog

The redheaded one's a genuinely brilliant actor when she wants to be.  Saw her in a bunch of Robert Altman things recently, and she was top tier.

Dex Sawash

They show it on a regular cable channel now with the sex edited out. Painful.

famethrowa

I quite like it nowdays when it's on, and generally I hate everything. Now that it's old as shit, no-one cares and there's no hype around it, it's quite a fun show with good stories and even some good slapstick now and then. The blond one is a ham and a half, redhead is a bit of a bore, brunette is polly prissy pants, and ol' horse face is there too. A particularly memorable one was where she was dating a rich old guy, and was eventually faced with his saggy bare arse that looked like flabby curtains. Now that's funny!

popcorn

There's an alternative intro they filmed for the show that got dropped in favour of the tutu.

The melancholic version of the theme here is added by the uploader. I find the whole thing really quite affecting. Someone else can mention the nipples.

greenman

Quote from: dontrunyoullfall on January 13, 2019, 06:34:26 PM
I always thought it was satirizing it's main characters. Maybe the writers and actors saw things differently.

Maybe a bit of a Beastie Boys situation were it started off doing so and then ended up taking them more seriously?

I remember watching the odd episode in the earlier years and not disliking it(mostly due to Kim Cattrall) but the trailers for the movies looks pretty bad.