Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:13:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Scan & Go

Started by Sin Agog, January 13, 2019, 05:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Sam's Club  has a scan and go phone app. Scan shit with phone cam as I put in the basket.
Pay with my saved credit card within the app when I am done. Flash a 2D barcode at the exit greeter (fuck-off-out-of-here-er?) who is checking every receipt anyway. 
It is brilliant (aside from being a Walmart company).
Occasionally find shit scanning at wrong price,  and buy extra. Last week cases of Kombucha were $1.89

touchingcloth

<tag>threads which you half think are an anagram of the OP's name</tag>

Bazooka

There is the risk that you will be the victim of a random bag check, at which point you scream in their face and without your shopping.

Norton Canes

I love scan and go because the receipts spurt out the checkouts in like a millisecond or something it's great

Highlight of my week

Norton Canes

Last time we went my son shone the laser scanner right in my fucking eyes

kitsofan34

I like the layout of these shops now, it's like a steady russian doll procession of just how anti social you are. You have the normal tills, with actual humans serving you. Then the self service tills, where there might be some element of human interaction, followed by the scan and go, where it's just you, blisfully alone, away from all those bloody people and their colds and their smells.

I don't know what the solution is. Despite usually only having a handful of items, I refuse to use any self scan devices. The more they're used, the more incentive the big wigs will have to roll them out shop wide. Will they do this anyway? Almost certainly, but I refuse to partake, thus leading to an unbelievably stubborn wait on my behalf almost daily. Rather ludicrous, I know.

People keep saying that the checkout staff will merely be transitioned into other roles within the shop. I'm sorry but I work in retail and the checkout staff are like the cast of Dad's Army, almost all of them have some sort of medical condition, a alarming majority are old age pensioners and one in particular is incredibly senile. There's a woman on the tills there that has two canes, one for each leg, and is unable to climb up the stairs to the canteen. A special make shift room has been adopted for her breaks, that's how immobile she is. The idea that a large corporation is going to take care of people like this when they're replaced by autonomous machines is madness.

imitationleather

I'm always shocked when it turns out that people don't get their shopping delivered, but I think the missus and I are the only people we know that do it. When I tell people we get it delivered they act like it's so decadent a thing to do I may as well have just said my life is a constant 24/7 Roman orgy.

Seriously guys. Just go on a supermarket website, select what you want and set a time that's convenient for it to arrive. Why would anyone actually go to a fucking supermarket? They're hellish places and you have to carry all the stuff back yourself. It's 2004 or something, guys. (It's around then anyway, not checked the calendar for a bit.) Wise up and get with the programme.

Cuellar

So you can finger the goods.

If you're just getting tins and tins and tins and loads of toilet roll or something fine. But do you trust a dotcom picker to get you the best pineapple? Do you bollocks.

imitationleather

Quote from: Cuellar on January 15, 2019, 12:36:01 PM

If you're just getting tins and tins and tins and loads of toilet roll or something fine. But do you trust a dotcom picker to get you the best pineapple? Do you bollocks.

I guess I did fall into the habit back when all I was buying was multiple 3 litre bottles of cider and bog roll.

Icehaven

How does it work if you're buying age-restricted items? Presumably it flags up somehow before you leave and someone comes to check?

Icehaven

Quote from: imitationleather on January 15, 2019, 12:27:41 PM
I'm always shocked when it turns out that people don't get their shopping delivered, but I think the missus and I are the only people we know that do it. When I tell people we get it delivered they act like it's so decadent a thing to do I may as well have just said my life is a constant 24/7 Roman orgy.

Seriously guys. Just go on a supermarket website, select what you want and set a time that's convenient for it to arrive. Why would anyone actually go to a fucking supermarket? They're hellish places and you have to carry all the stuff back yourself. It's 2004 or something, guys. (It's around then anyway, not checked the calendar for a bit.) Wise up and get with the programme.

The minimum spend is ususally too high for me, even back when I lived in a normal flat and actually had space for £40 worth of groceries. And also...

Quote from: Cuellar on January 15, 2019, 12:36:01 PM

...this.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: imitationleather on January 15, 2019, 12:27:41 PM

Lidl don't do home deliveries and they're far cheaper than any of the other local supermarkets.

bgmnts

Ummm.... I find you very attractive.... would you go to Aldi with me?

Cuellar

And AND we ordered some alcohol free beers and they didn't have any so substituted shandy instead - what if I'd been an alcoholic and the temptation had been too great and I drank the shandies and fell off the wagon big time and drank myself to death?

Irresponsible.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: bgmnts on January 15, 2019, 03:23:31 PM
Ummm.... I find you very attractive.... would you go to Aldi with me?

No worse than any of your other chat-up lines.

Squink

Quote from: Cuellar on January 15, 2019, 03:26:22 PM
And AND we ordered some alcohol free beers and they didn't have any so substituted shandy instead - what if I'd been an alcoholic and the temptation had been too great and I drank the shandies and fell off the wagon big time and drank myself to death?

Irresponsible.

Fucking shandy. I'm with you here. It's clearly the gateway drug. This would be a big fuck off lawsuit in America, except shandy doesn't exist there.

imitationleather

Quote from: icehaven on January 15, 2019, 01:23:51 PM
The minimum spend is ususally too high for me, even back when I lived in a normal flat and actually had space for £40 worth of groceries. And also...

...this.

I had a scam going for months and months where I kept signing up to Ocado with a new email address every week and getting their 25% introductory discount. Crazily, they either never noticed or cared. 25% off at Ocado every week! A street urchin like me eating their fare! It's like finding out one of the kids in those black and white photos where they're next to their house that's just been bombed out during the Blitz and they're looking a little bit pissed off about it existed purely on a diet of foie gras and champagne.

Sebastian Cobb

Do I get paid as a cashier when I'm doing this?

RedRevolver

Quote from: icehaven on January 13, 2019, 05:23:21 PM
Don't you have to sign up for it first or something? I might be wrong about that though. I know there was a similar system in a supermarket I worked in years ago but no one used it because it had an anti-theft measure that meant a certain proportion per week or whatever had to be checked by staff, which meant unpacking and rescanning everything, completely defeating the object and pissing the customer right off wasting double the time they were supposed to save and making them feel like they were being accused of thieving. To top it off it far too frequently demanded rechecking as well, so customers using it regularly decided it wasn't worth the risk of having the mither in the end.

On top of these glaring holes, wasn't it just a precursor to self-service machines? We have those now, so I thought Scan & Go had become obsolete. Also, I only remember these ever existing in Waitrose. You posh bastards.

Sebastian Cobb

imitationleather

What from the '90s will be coming back next and pretending it's a new idea?

Pogs?

The Big Breakfast?

Princess Diana rudely dying and interrupting a broadcast of the video for Bingo by Catch?