Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:48:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Titans (Netflix)

Started by mjwilson, January 13, 2019, 10:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjwilson

This is some real car-crash viewing.
Imagine the bad bits of Torchwood crossed with Suicide Squad.
I'm hooked.

Small Man Big Horse

I started a thread about this a while back but given the title it's understandable that you missed it - https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,69537.0.html - I did sort of enjoy the all round rubbishness of the first episode but haven't watched any more of it, I might one day but I've a massive backlog of decent tv to get through first.

The Culture Bunker

There's a Doom Patrol show getting a spin-off from this (with Timothy Dalton in it! And Mr Nobody!) which is probably the main reason I might bother with it.

Mister Six

Yeah I plan to watch that one episode and sack the rest off.

Mister Six

Just saw that Robin in this is a detective by day. Wasn't the idea of a cop being a vigilante at night used as a joke in Operation Good Guys?

Also what happens when he's on the night shift? Does he stalk the brightly lit parks and malls of Gotham City?

Mister Six

Watched the Doom Patrol episode and it's absolute bobbins. More S2 Torchwood, when it was just kind of boring, than S1 hatefuck TV Torchwood. It's one of those really lazy backdoor pilots where they spend most of the episode introducing all these new characters and not actually giving them anything to do (most of the episode seems to take place at dinner tables), then there's a bit of an argument and it just kind of stops.

Not much of an indication as to what the Doom Patrol TV show will be like, but Cliff and Larry look terrible - very comics-accurate, but with facial masks that don't convey any expression whatsoever. Not promising. Elasti-Girl is quite fit though.

Also there's an odd bit where they talk about how Niles Caulder just got over having a broken back, then they have his back get broken again at the end of the episode. Why bother giving him that detail in his backstory? It's very odd.

Alberon

About half the cast has been recasted for the Doom Patrol series proper. Most notably, Dalton isn't playing Caulder in the Titans episode.

In the comic Caulder is mostly in a wheelchair though at one point the head of the Doom Patrol is literally just a head.

As for Titans itself, it's okay. Spends a little too much time just spinning its wheels and it needs to up its game for its second season, but it has potential.

Mister Six

Quote from: Alberon on January 14, 2019, 01:19:14 PM
About half the cast has been recasted for the Doom Patrol series proper. Most notably, Dalton isn't playing Caulder in the Titans episode.

It's so weird, because this episode serves almost no purpose other than to be a backdoor pilot, so you'd think they would have the cast in place first.

QuoteIn the comic Caulder is mostly in a wheelchair though at one point the head of the Doom Patrol is literally just a head.

Yeah, I just don't understand why they have him recover from having a broken back in this episode only to have Rachel break it again. Why not just be consistent and have him in a wheelchair from the off? Was the actor medically unable to sit down for longer than one scene?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Mister Six on January 14, 2019, 04:51:40 PM
It's so weird, because this episode serves almost no purpose other than to be a backdoor pilot, so you'd think they would have the cast in place first
I suppose you could argue that you can't actually see the actors who physically play Cliff and Larry. And the voices are being done by the same people, which is perhaps more important.

It would be nice if they went into the full-on wonderful weirdness of those Grant Morrison comics, with the Brotherhood of Dada and such, but I'm certainly not expecting them to go anywhere close to that direction.

Mister Six

Well they have Mr Nobody coming up, voiced by Alan Tudyk, and Crazy Jane too. So they're obviously leaning somewhat into Morrison's works. Whether it'll just come across as an awkward approximation of his unique vision is another question. Still, the showrunner did some decent work on Supernatural, so it should at least be more competent than this Geoff Johns Titans story.

Hopefully they'll mix in stories from the Rachel Pollack run, and some of the older and newer stuff too. There's a wealth of weird and wonderful Doom Patrol stories to draw on.

I just hope they'll hold Johns back from getting too involved. His particular brand of okayish mediocrity is anathema to Doom Patrol at its best.

The Culture Bunker

I saw the Mr Nobody thing, but then Wiki sez he's "living shadow able to drain the sanity of others", which I don't seem to remember from the ones I'd read. Maybe it was in later issues. I preferred him as just this absolute hatstand weird 2D thing who likes doing bizarre things.

They should use the Quiz, though. Someone with all the powers you haven't thought of - brilliant.

Mister Six

Yeah I didn't remember that either. Skimmed through the first couple of issues and there's nothing about that in there, it does mention it on his individual Wikipedia page but maybe someone added that after the article went out (or someone added it in incorrectly and the lazy journo copied it off Wikipedia without checking).

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mister Six on January 14, 2019, 06:25:02 PM
Well they have Mr Nobody coming up, voiced by Alan Tudyk, and Crazy Jane too. So they're obviously leaning somewhat into Morrison's works. Whether it'll just come across as an awkward approximation of his unique vision is another question. Still, the showrunner did some decent work on Supernatural, so it should at least be more competent than this Geoff Johns Titans story.

Hopefully they'll mix in stories from the Rachel Pollack run, and some of the older and newer stuff too. There's a wealth of weird and wonderful Doom Patrol stories to draw on.

I just hope they'll hold Johns back from getting too involved. His particular brand of okayish mediocrity is anathema to Doom Patrol at its best.

I didn't get on with the Pollack run at all, it felt like she was trying to copy Morrison's weirdness without the depth of character that he brought to the comic, I stopped reading it towards the end and only finished off the last couple of issues a few years ago when I found them online.

Dex Sawash

I've not finished Teen Titans yet