Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:37:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedic Annoyances

Started by MortSahlFan, January 13, 2019, 11:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortSahlFan

Pet Peeves in stand-up.. Part of the reason I don't like when a comic will repeat many adjectives is because of the audience cheering extra loud. Usually, "That guy was a lying, dishonest, bald-headed, cock-sucking, _____, _____, _________________" <cheers>

famethrowa

"Fuck" as a punchline.

Meet and greet with the front row as part of the act. "So what job do you do? Oh you work for the council??" *funny face, quick quip etc etc*

Maurice Yeatman

Is that a euphemism?
Too soon?
Whaaat? (Disingenuous response to shocked audience reaction.)
I've found your level.

Just Jimmy Carr basically.

Mobius

When someone says something weird or a weird combination of words and the reply is "that's the name of my belgian experimental trance band" or "that's the name of my one man show" or something to that effect

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I'm annoyed by the incessant presence of threads in which we moan about the same old comedy tropes.

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 14, 2019, 03:30:58 AM
I'm annoyed by the incessant presence of threads in which we moan about the same old comedy tropes.

Whaaat?

DrGreggles

Quote from: famethrowa on January 14, 2019, 01:14:28 AM
Meet and greet with the front row as part of the act.

I saw Tim Vine do this and he got up to about 30 people before there was one whose job he didn't have a joke for.
The cumulative effect actually made it bloody funny.

Stilted audience 'banter' is always shit though.
My Dad's approach to this is the best*.
He adopts a staunch refusal to join in policy at live shows**.
I remember him at a comedy club one night about 15-20 years ago when a dying comedian tried audience banter to stop the rot and went straight to my Dad.
"I'm not here to be your Mike Winters, lad" was such a fantastically out-of-date thing to say.

*Have I told the Dad v Barrymore story on here before?
**Never took me to a panto as a kid - can understand why.

jobotic

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 14, 2019, 09:10:58 AM
*Have I told the Dad v Barrymore story on here before?

If you have I haven't heard it. Spill (please).

Endicott

"I'm not here to be your Mike Winters, lad" was such a fantastically out-of-date thing to say.

This is beautiful.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: famethrowa on January 14, 2019, 01:14:28 AM
Meet and greet with the front row as part of the act. "So what job do you do? Oh you work for the council??" *funny face, quick quip etc etc*

Yeah, I hate it when comedians tell jokes. They're all like *set-up, punchline* then the audience is like *laugh, sometimes applaud etc etc*.

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 14, 2019, 03:30:58 AM

You're not a proper comedy fan unless you've noticed comedic devices and can't stand them!!!

St_Eddie

I saw Tim Vine do this and he got up to about 30 people before there was one whose job he didn't have a joke for.

This reminds me of when I went to a live recording of The Jonathan Ross Show back in 2003 (I only went because Radiohead were there to perform live and I was a massive fan at the time).  The warm up guy came up to me and asked me what I did for a living.  I was off-work at the time, for personal, medical reasons and so, as a deflection for the awkward question, I replied with "uh, I'm unemployed because I'm a lazy bastard", which got a laugh from the audience.  The stand up guy looked slightly annoyed, paused for a moment, trying to think of a further put down, failed to do so and responded with "um... okay", before scuttling off to another audience member, who was too shy to say much of anything and so he took the piss out of him instead.

I'm usually a socially awkward, fumbling mess, so I was kind of proud to have been able to think on my feet and scupper any potential insults from the stand up guy on that occasion and elicit a laugh from the audience whilst doing so.  One of the few moments in life where I didn't make a complete arse of myself.

TheMonk

"I know what you're thinking..."
(Big comedian moving mike stand) "I'll just move this so that you can see me..."
"This guy knows what I'm talking about."

petril

when David Baddiel lists annoying traits, as you do

thenoise

No punchline to this bit, so I'll just talk very quickly without drawing breath, the audience will be so impressed with my ability to memorise a list and repeat it quickly they will applaud anyway! Yay me!!

Twed

Quote from: petrilTanaka on January 14, 2019, 04:29:00 PM
when David Baddiel lists annoying traits [for his job that he is paid for somehow], as you do [for discussion with peers, for free]

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: TheMonk on January 14, 2019, 10:52:30 AM
(Big comedian moving mike stand) "I'll just move this so that you can see me..."

First saw that from Jo Brand as The Sea Monster. Possibly nicked from Louie Anderson.

Dusty Substance

Getting cheers by targeting low-hanging political fruit.

ie:

"That Trump's a shit orange-skinned president, ammiright?"

"That Nigel Farage is a cunt, ammight?"

"That Brexit is a bit of a disaster, ammiright?"

St_Eddie

Quote from: Dusty Substance on January 16, 2019, 02:21:26 AM

ie:

See every introduction to The Graham Norton Show ever.

j_u_d_a_s

ie:

(Can't stand seeing this cunt foul up my facebook feed)

ie:

Ben Elton reads this and says 'yep.  Very cheap.'