Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:12:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

These Brexit survival kits/stockpiling

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 14, 2019, 10:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

I'd have thought a more realistic post-Brexit survival kit should contain body armour and self-defence manuals and be marketed more at EU migrants who are unfortunately probably going to be spending a lot of time dealing with slack-jawed knuckle draggers asking them why they're 'still here' after March 29th, if they aren't already.

Dex Sawash

Alberon

Looks like that box should contain freeze-dried loo paper as the Confederation of Paper Industries says a No Deal would cause delays. Or as the BBC humorously puts it, a 'logjam'.

studpuppet

Only one can you need in a situation like this.

Fambo Number Mive

Newspaper should be redesigned so it can be used as loo paper once finished with

thenoise

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 14, 2019, 12:20:05 PM
I presume it's because it takes up less space.

That is the one thing we are going to have plenty of.

Buelligan

Also, not trying to complicate things but you can use the tins as weapons.

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 14, 2019, 01:38:07 PM
Newspaper should be redesigned so it can be used as loo paper once finished with

The free local paper was my emergency bog paper supply when I was living off a hundred quid a week, and I'd run out of paper nicked from McDonalds.  Happy to say I never lowered myself to wiping my arse on The Sun.

Beagle 2

A rational friend of mine said he was stockpiling food the other week and looked concerned when I said I was not. I don't usually stockpile enough food to get me through elevenses, let alone the end of civilisation.

I supppose to be on the safe side for the sake of my wife and children I really should ensure that there's enough nicotine gum for me to survive until I can loot Superdrug.

bgmnts

I leave for Hungary in March. I hope a new rule doesn't come in where I need some crazy new Visa instantly to travel or I get bummed by rough looking airport staff.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: wooders1978 on January 14, 2019, 11:27:44 AM
Well we voted for being starved out of existence by our European overlords and now the chickens are coming home to roost - how will we get by without Brie and manchego cheese?

Chlorinated chickens can't roost

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on January 14, 2019, 03:00:13 PM
I leave for Hungary in March. I hope a new rule doesn't come in where I need some crazy new Visa instantly to travel or I get bummed by rough looking airport staff.

I hope you do

Paul Calf

Quote from: bgmnts on January 14, 2019, 03:00:13 PM

They do that anyway.

Attila

My plan is to mark up Mr Attila like a side of beef and go from there.

Sebastian Cobb

They say there might be a shortage of bog roll. A while back this happened to me at a do and I panicked, flushed the bog and washed my batty by dipping my hand in the toilet water and washing my harris. Wouldn't recommend tbh.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 14, 2019, 04:03:39 PM
They say there might be a shortage of bog roll. A while back this happened to me at a do and I panicked, flushed the bog and washed my batty by dipping my hand in the toilet water and washing my harris. Wouldn't recommend tbh.

Bum over sink. Improvised bidet. Last attempted in a pub in Brixton

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 14, 2019, 04:05:56 PM
Bum over sink. Improvised bidet. Last attempted in a pub in Brixton

Do you then use the dryers on your arse?

batwings

I always try have some food and other supplies in the garage just in case of emergencies such as very bad weather or other things that can disrupt the supply chain / stop me getting to the shops. A no deal crash out could see some sporadic disruption to food supply chains, which may spark panic buying. It's worth having some stuff on hand to avoid having to go and fight your way around the supermarkets if it all kicks off.

I've stocked up the cupboards and got enough food to last about a week. It's mostly because the Beast from the East caught me unawares. I don't foresee any major crisis lasting beyond a week. We'll all be dead if it goes on longer than that.

imitationleather

I don't know why people are even trying to survive this. The living will surely envy the dead.

Buelligan

I think people should attempt to live long enough at least to

• say I told you so, even post it, if that can still be done (doubtful)
  • seek revenge.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: imitationleather on January 14, 2019, 05:19:13 PM
I don't know why people are even trying to survive this. The living will surely envy the dead.
Or at the very least, eat them.

Zetetic

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 14, 2019, 11:48:58 AM
On a serious note, if you need medicine then there's no harm in stockpiling for after March 29.

Mine is already on the "No Cheaper Stock Obtainable" list at twice the Drug Tariff price.

The NCSO list which is worth keeping an eye on in the next couple of months - whether or not there will be significant disruption due to RoRo checks and the like, Brexit provides an opportunity for suppliers in markets with low-elasticity-of-demand (like medication) to collectively take the piss for a bit.

Zetetic

Quote from: icehaven on January 14, 2019, 12:36:02 PM
I'd have thought a more realistic post-Brexit survival kit should contain body armour and self-defence manuals
Or passports and currency, at least.

These things are relatively easy to arrange, once you have any ability to be prepared for anything at all (I appreciate many people do not, lacking £50 to their name).

However low you might reckon the probability of "bad stuff that makes it worth leaving the country at short notice" is, the cost of preparedness is low compared to the possible impact. (And the point at which it feels at all likely - to you - that "bad stuff ..." will happen is liable to be too late.)

Cloud

So Brexit is an opportunity to market expensive "kits" to preppers, who are known to quite enjoy pretending there's going to be an apocalypse.  Late stage capitalism knows no bounds...

As for stockpiling in general, as always with this kind of shit, any shortage will be caused by people panic buying in the first place, and if they didn't panic there'd be plenty.

im barry bethel

QuoteIn September 2005 Imperial Tobacco announced the closure of Rizla's Treforest factory at Pontypridd near Cardiff in South Wales with a loss of 134 jobs. After the closure of the factory, Rizla production is now concentrated at Wilrijk, Belgium.

Buelligan

I gave up cigs when Rizla changed the packaging on their licorice papers.  Fucking philistine cunts.  Take something perfect, historic, classic and fiddle with it.  Fuck off.