Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,491
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:47:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

These Brexit survival kits/stockpiling

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 14, 2019, 10:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

So, thanks to Brexit, unemployment in Treforest has finally risen to 99%. Good going Brexit.

wub1234

'Stockpiling' to the degree that some people do it is excessive, but there is nothing wrong in principle with having some supplies to fall back on in an emergency.

There is no particular need to do this with Brexit, as the worst thing that will happen is that sterling will fall in value relative to the price of goods and some other currencies. The value of money is completely arbitrary anyway, and the value of sterling has fallen far more due to other reasons than Brexit.

Furthermore, all of the European countries will continue to trade with one another to almost exactly the same degree as they did before the referendum was even mentioned, regardless of the outcome, regardless of anything Theresa May does, and regardless of anything anyone says or does.

This is one of the big red herrings of the entire 'debate', the idea that companies and countries are somehow going to stop trading with one another because one country exits the European Union in some respect, or even if the European Union ceased to exist at all. The European Union and Eurozone makes it somewhat easier for massive multinationals to dominate the market and destroy the competition, and it would have been somewhat harder for them to do it in the post-WWII climate without the European Union, and its attendant agreements. It probably still would have happened anyway, as the only thing that would have stopped it would have been mass-scale grassroots action, and it's hard to imagine that occurring. The European Union has just accelerated the process. Equally, there will be no significant diminishing in trading if the constituents of the European Union alter in some way.

You will still be able to buy everything that you can now. You won't even notice that it has changed in price, as I'm sure you didn't when sterling lost considerably more value previously, although massive companies will try to exploit the situation, and blame everything on the UK existing the EU. The only thing that people would need to worry about would be if sterling was completely devalued, which is not impossible, but will not be caused by something as insignificant as Brexit.

However, I doubt Brexit will happen, as politicians don't want it to happen. I expect that they'll continue to muddy the waters for as long as possible, trying to create an impression of confusion, while the media runs as many scare stories as possible, and eventually people will be scared into submission, and there'll be another vote, and the floating voters will vote remain, and this time the politicians will proclaim this as an important democratic decision (because it's what they wanted in the first place), and it'll be enshrined, and never challenged again.

This is, after all, what happened previously in other countries.

Zetetic

I don't think the suggestion is that a "no deal" Brexit is liable to result in a complete cessation of trade between the UK and the other member states of the EU.

I think the most likely 'bad outcome' that people might be guessing at is that there would be a sudden and a bit unpredictable, if generally slight, increase in 'friction' (i.e. documentation checks, physical checks) - particularly for certain modes (i.e. RoRo).

These might, particularly in concert with those seeking to taking advantage of the situation and those inadvertently exacerbating it, result in some limited short-term disruption. (Vicious circularity then has the possibility of dragging that out and spreading it further.)

Alberon

No, that's what's going to happen.

Day before Brexit

Day after Brexit

Be Prepared!

mothman

Quote from: Buelligan on January 14, 2019, 05:23:03 PM
I think people should attempt to live long enough at least to

• say I told you so, even post it, if that can still be done (doubtful)
  • seek revenge.

This is basically my game plan. Way I see it, most of what I've got we'd use normally, and failing that the local food bank is going to have a bumper year. I'm all for helping those less fortunate than myself - it's just the starting baseline that matters.

im barry bethel

Quote from: wub1234 on January 14, 2019, 07:52:37 PM
There is no particular need to do this with Brexit, as the worst thing that will happen is that sterling will fall in value relative to the price of goods and some other currencies. The value of money is completely arbitrary anyway, and the value of sterling has fallen far more due to other reasons than Brexit....

Someone's never seen the price of sledges go up after 3mm of overnight snow

Blumf

Quote from: Alberon on January 14, 2019, 08:13:40 PM
No, that's what's going to happen.

Day before Brexit

Day after Brexit

Be Prepared!

Troubling, as I don't even know where to get assless leather chaps. Brexit will not be kind to me.

mothman

They're all assless leather, chaps, by the time

Sin Agog

I saw a lady manically filling her trolley with Oxo cubes earlier.  When I asked her what she was doing, she said she was 'investing in stocks.'

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Zetetic on January 14, 2019, 08:09:41 PM
I don't think the suggestion is that a "no deal" Brexit is liable to result in a complete cessation of trade between the UK and the other member states of the EU.

I think the most likely 'bad outcome' that people might be guessing at is that there would be a sudden and a bit unpredictable, if generally slight, increase in 'friction' (i.e. documentation checks, physical checks) - particularly for certain modes (i.e. RoRo).

These might, particularly in concert with those seeking to taking advantage of the situation and those inadvertently exacerbating it, result in some limited short-term disruption. (Vicious circularity then has the possibility of dragging that out and spreading it further.)

Can you stop using the abbreviation RoRo. It sounds like something a Beyonce fan would use.

Zetetic

BlodwynPig

im barry bethel

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 14, 2019, 09:45:51 PM
Can you stop using the abbreviation RoRo. It sounds like something a Beyonce fan would use.

RoRoRo yer boat, which is probably the next company Chris Grayling will hand a blank cheque

Blumf

BlodwynPig

Buelligan

Quote from: wub1234 on January 14, 2019, 07:52:37 PM
There is no particular need to do this with Brexit, as the worst thing that will happen is that sterling will fall in value relative to the price of goods and some other currencies.

Is that worse than losing your job, friends, community, healthcare and pension and the right to live in your own home?

Maurice Yeatman

Can I just shock you?  Everything's going to be fine.

chveik

from what I've learned on this forum, in order to survive a British person only need crisps and The Fall albums anyway. everything will be A-OK.

Said it purged fear
Eat y'self fitter

mothman

Didn't do Mark E. Smith any good though, I note.

jobotic

phantom_power

Does it count as irony that the people who can afford to buy a Brexit survival kit are the ones who will likely need it the least.

imitationleather

There are what I can only assume are ironic Brexit boxes for sale on Amazon which comprise of stuff like a can of Guinness, some Tayto crisps, dried pasta and so on.

Brexit really has been a boon for the entrepreneurs!

thenoise

Bought a bumper pack of bog wipes, English food gives me the fucking shits.

Merry Brexmas you slags.

shiftwork2

Hospital pharmacies have been forbidden from even the slightest degree of building up stock, a measure you would have thought a bit of a no-brainer with no downside.  So contingency planning has been left to the drug companies who are still legitimately allowed to cite 'supply issue' in the event of not being able to meet demand, such as may happen if, I don't know, it's going to cost their shareholders.

Zetetic

Which will allow them to put the price up - as I say, the NCSO list will be interesting to keep an eye on. (January's will be out in the next week or so, I'd guess.)

Zetetic

BBC have picked up the generics meds story:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-46843631

I'm inclined to agree that the current shortages have little to do with Brexit - but the next few months will be interesting.