Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:40:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Earphones

Started by Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth, January 14, 2019, 12:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

There are probably dozens of threads about this, but a half arsed search didn't turn one up, so here we are.
Anyone have recommendations for a decent pair of headphones? For the last few years, I've been getting cheap ones from the Asdas, which actually work very well. The only problem is that the plastic on the wires starts to lose its flexibility and eventually cracks within 6-12 months of buying them.
My hearing isn't fantastic, so I don't need some swanky audiophile type with a German name. Something for under 20 quid, with some bass, that won't break for a couple of years or so would suit me fine.

Blue Jam

Betron are good, nice and bassy with non-tangling cables, and you can get a pair for around a tenner.

jobotic

You mean in ear ones?

I bought these Beltron ones a couple of years ago and they were good for a while but lost sound in one ear, as head phones do after only a few months. Depends how often you use them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I3LTQ9O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought these as replacement and so far they're really good. Sounded shite when I first put them in and I was really disappointed but when I swapped the earbuds for the larger ones they sounded great.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005HP3OB0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Only had them a couple of months so don't know about reliability but they seem well built compared to others I've had.

Dr Trouser

I got a pair of RHA ones as I wanted something that would last a bit longer - and as a local Glaswegian company I could make a political Brexit point and not be hostage to those EU headphone manufacturers who will attempt to curtail are brave independence and stop headphones coming in through Dover.

Anyway 20 quid and have done well so far and never seem to tangle up like a bastard
https://www.rha-audio.com/uk/products/headphones/ma390-universal?c=285

it appears that other versions are available at 129 quid - blimey.

Shit Good Nose

Yep, RHA or SoundMagic is all you need to look at, really - well made, decent sound, good value, don't cost the earth.  RHA are especially hard wearing - I don't think you'll find earphones at that price that are as robust.

Ignore Sennheiser - their low and mid ranges are mere shadows of their former selves these days.

surreal

I have some of these Taotronics ones which I use for the gym, can definitely recommend them sound-wise and for comfort, and they are £19

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017I9CBPC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They also have magnets to clip together around your neck when they're not in your ears so you don't drop them.  Shitloads of reviews on Amazon too, mostly very positive

easytarget

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 15, 2019, 03:45:04 PM

Ignore Sennheiser - their low and mid ranges are mere shadows of their former selves these days.

Really? I'm quite happy with my CX300II's - they sound pretty good and seem to last though about 18 months of abuse (2-3 hours of listening a day, sometimes sweating into them at the gym - yeah, think about that, put that image in your head). The Sennheiser Cx 3.00's (new model) are rubbish though, the cable seems to be made of super sticky rubber that you'll spend hours untangling)

I've been on the same Sennheiser CX160s for three years plus now. They get used a lot, and are still going strong. I think the single sheath on the wire is the key to not losing an ear, as happened to every other pair I've had with an average lifespan of maybe 8 months. Can't be knocked for £20.

Cuntbeaks

I bought some Brainwavz IEMs last year. Not the bassiest, but they are incredibly comfortable and are amazingly detailed and crisp, great for vocals.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brainwavz-B200-Armature-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B06XRVCC2G

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on January 16, 2019, 06:05:26 PM
I bought some Brainwavz IEMs last year. Not the bassiest, but they are incredibly comfortable and are amazingly detailed and crisp, great for vocals.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brainwavz-B200-Armature-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B06XRVCC2G

Not exactly in Claude's price range...

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 16, 2019, 06:26:54 PM
Not exactly in Claude's price range...
Ah, didn't see that bit...

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 14, 2019, 12:09:02 PM
Betron are good, nice and bassy with non-tangling cables, and you can get a pair for around a tenner.
Their wireless ones aren't much more either.

I'm half tempted to look into some bone conducting headphones so I can listen on me bike without ending up under the wheels of an artic.

Blinder Data

Can I hijack this thread? I don't want in-ear headphones because I keep losing them - I want over-ear headphones after realising on-ear is simply too uncomfortable for me (unfortunately I've discovered this after buying a pair of AKG Y50s).

Does anyone know of good over-ear wired heaphones in the £50 area? Closed-back preferable as I want to listen them on the train, at work, etc. Everything I see creeps up to £80-£100

hermitical

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 14, 2019, 12:00:13 PM
The only problem is that the plastic on the wires starts to lose its flexibility and eventually cracks within 6-12 months of buying them.

Mate, Sugru

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

If that's some new sex fad, like Bukkake or somesuch, I don't want to know about it.

My last pair of cheapo earphones gave up the ghost earlier than expected, so I ended up getting a pair of Betron ones. They were 12 quid, down from 30, which (at either price) makes them by far the most expensive set I've ever owned. Time will tell if they suffer from the same wire problem as all the others, but otherwise they are great: The bass is really strong and they are LOUD. I've had to invert my usual graphic equaliser settings so that the treble isn't drowned out and now have the volume at about half what I used to.

ToneLa

Etymotic, superb sound that does not exaggerate bass, got customised various ends, totally sound isolating including sponge ones you squeeze and which swell to perfectly fit your ear canal or one of the various other tips that come with

My current tip ends (steady):

Love these so much, I lost a blue pair of the £150 range when out jogging on drugs, and despite being on Universal Credit at the time (get ready to tweet the Daily Mail) went without food for a bit to order new red ones.

VALIDATE MY FUCKING LIFESTYLE

https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones.html

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Blinder Data on February 12, 2019, 03:46:15 PM
Can I hijack this thread? I don't want in-ear headphones because I keep losing them - I want over-ear headphones after realising on-ear is simply too uncomfortable for me (unfortunately I've discovered this after buying a pair of AKG Y50s).

Does anyone know of good over-ear wired heaphones in the £50 area? Closed-back preferable as I want to listen them on the train, at work, etc. Everything I see creeps up to £80-£100

There is some discussion of cans in the headphones that dont cunting bresk all the time thread.
I have some Monoprice cans that were $40ish that the audionerd forums said were OK if you were into that sort of thing. See if Monoprice sells in UK.

Blinder Data

Quote from: Dex Sawash on February 13, 2019, 02:39:38 AM
There is some discussion of cans in the headphones that dont cunting bresk all the time thread.
I have some Monoprice cans that were $40ish that the audionerd forums said were OK if you were into that sort of thing. See if Monoprice sells in UK.

Those threads are a bit outdated now. I plumped for Lindy NC-60s in the end for £55ish, wired but noise cancelling. I like them so far though they're not fully over-ear. When I'm more flush with cash I might have to invest in some serious beasts.

Did you know for legal hygene reasons you can't return headphones if they're not faulty? I didn't. I felt like a right numpty. BUT it turns out if you call up the web sales team related to the electronics store, they'll tell you to just bring them back in store for a refund. Result! Not for the poor people in the shop exasperated at being overruled by the overly helpful web sales team though

Glebe

I'm keeping me eyes peeled for a pair of Sennheiser HD 206's for watching me telly at night.

Quote from: ToneLa on February 12, 2019, 06:54:54 PM
I lost a blue pair of the £150 range when out jogging on drugs

Did you trip?