Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:43:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Corporate Season 2 starts this week

Started by NoSleep, January 14, 2019, 12:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

First season didn't gender much attention here but I loved it and have watched it a couple of times now. A creepy, surreal look at corporate management.

Here's the thread for the first season: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,65129.0.html

Completely confusing but neutral trailer (at least it indicates that everyone has returned from season 1 and a couple of new faces have been added): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nSn8fHlKVM

Small Man Big Horse

I'm a big fan and have been looking forward to this, I just hope they maintain the sharp bleak satire that made the first series so good.

Ant Farm Keyboard

One of the best new shows of 2018. The weekend retreat and the never-ending reunion episodes were particularly great.

Small Man Big Horse

I enjoyed this episode a fair deal, it wasn't one of the best and took a little while to get going but the ending was superb, and as always Lance Reddick was fucking amazing.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Reddick couldn't save "Frank's Brother" on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, so he can't redeem anything, but his tirade here was a thing of beauty.

They had a couple of musical cues that sounded out of place, as if they tried to go mainstream, but failed to, as it made the show even creepier.

The not-journalist at BNN will make appearances in at least two episodes this season.

NoSleep

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on January 16, 2019, 11:53:19 PM
They had a couple of musical cues that sounded out of place, as if they tried to go mainstream, but failed to, as it made the show even creepier.

I think that may have been intended.

QuoteThe not-journalist at BNN will make appearances in at least two episodes this season.

It's the same reporter that appeared in the TV clips in the Trademark episode in season 1 (and maybe others, but I watched that one a couple of days ago).

Ant Farm Keyboard

Episode 2 was another good one, despite the lack of Jack (who's married, you know?) and Kate. It reaches greatness in its last part due to Matt's physical comedy and the Ty Segall montage. The whole message is indeed quite relatable.

Whose picture is it on Matt's smartphone lock screen?

NoSleep

It looks like it's him before he grew a beard. Excellent stuff so far this season. Great climax to this week's episode.

chveik

this one was wonderful! why aren't there more people watching this?!

just give up...

Small Man Big Horse

I really loved it too, I only got round to watching it tonight as there's so much other great stuff on right now (and for some reason I got one of those pesky job things) but it was a delightful thing, Reddick's sex faces especially. And I also liked the fact that he has his own Netflix type show too.

Also re: Matt's phone, I'm not convinced it's a younger version of himself.

NoSleep

That's definitely him. He has that picture to remind himself how carefree he was once; getting his shirt wet in the sea!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: NoSleep on January 28, 2019, 08:32:03 PM
That's definitely him. He has that picture to remind himself how carefree he was once; getting his shirt wet in the sea!

Ah yeah, I just compared the two (and their teeth, which was the thing that made me question whether it was him or not) and you are indeed right now.

Ant Farm Keyboard

So Matty wasn't really a fatty...

"Natural Beauty", the third episode is another winner, and an Ann Dudek showcase where she gets the opportunity of playing the character in totally different ways. There was again just a touch of Lance Reddick, but his interventions were decisive. And the show knows how to put together great montages.

olliebean

I realised who Lance Reddick reminds me of in this. His vocal delivery is very reminiscent of J. Peterman in Seinfeld.

steveh

Quote from: chveik on January 25, 2019, 12:20:18 AM
this one was wonderful! why aren't there more people watching this?!

Doesn't help that Comedy Central UK insist on showing Corporate ages after the US and haven't really gone out of their way to promote it. They seem to have a strategy of holding back on anything new then if it's been a hit in the States they'll promote it and if it hasn't they'll instead pick it up cheaply for an off-peak slot when everyone who might watch it has forgotten about it or already pirated it.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Another fine episode, guest starring a guy who was in the cast of two of the best workplace comedies in the last two decades.*

* So, not Workaholics.

chveik

The IT Crowd then

great episode, as usual. I think I have a crush on Aparna Nancherla.

Quote from: steveh on January 31, 2019, 12:14:46 PM
Doesn't help that Comedy Central UK insist on showing Corporate ages after the US and haven't really gone out of their way to promote it. They seem to have a strategy of holding back on anything new then if it's been a hit in the States they'll promote it and if it hasn't they'll instead pick it up cheaply for an off-peak slot when everyone who might watch it has forgotten about it or already pirated it.

I meant on this forum.

Small Man Big Horse

I really loved it too, thought it was the best episode of the second season so far and Jack and Kate's anger at Matty's lack of apostrophes was beautifully performed.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Of course, the guest star was Jonathan Slavin, a Victor Fresco regular who was part of the cast from both Andy Richter Controls the Universe and Better Off Ted.

NoSleep

Is it just me or does Jake always open with a stand-up style takedown of something ("dogs" this week) in almost every episode? Are we going to find out that Jake has a secret after-office life as a stand-up?

olliebean

Quote from: NoSleep on February 07, 2019, 04:07:31 PM
Is it just me or does Jake always open with a stand-up style takedown of something ("dogs" this week) in almost every episode? Are we going to find out that Jake has a secret after-office life as a stand-up?

Please, not another sitcom about a struggling stand-up.

NoSleep

Well, we know he was a punk rocker and a Banksie-style graff artist before taking up his current position.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Last week's episode was a disaster, but the new one is one of the best things they've ever done. There are more laughs in the opening scene ("I thought that was a dream") than on the whole of "The Expense Report." Very little John and Kate in this one, but they had the right amount of corporate lingo and hypocrisy to set the events into motion.

NoSleep

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on February 20, 2019, 04:17:13 PM
Last week's episode was a disaster, but the new one is one of the best things they've ever done.

I quite liked the accountant character and her issues. I hope we see her again.

Small Man Big Horse

I was pretty fond of The Expense Report, it was extreme even by this show's standards but it had plenty of highlights, mostly involving the butler admittedly. Haven't seen this week's yet but I plan to rectify that this evening.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Small Man Big Horse

I was indeed, and this week's was even better, it was dark even by this show's standards but shockingly funny, and Andy Richter was especially on top form.

Ant Farm Keyboard

That may be the most cynical thing they have ever done (a pretty high bar given that we had "Remembrance Day" last season). And it comes from a first time writer too. The reveal about Christian DeVille's tweet was one highlight.

"Labor Day" from last week also had its moments (you can't go wrong with a singing Lance Reddick), but it was amazing to see them not holding back against the hypocrisy, pettiness and self-centeredness on social media, a universal theme, rather than just making it about the push in the media for sensationalism.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on March 07, 2019, 02:25:48 PM
That may be the most cynical thing they have ever done (a pretty high bar given that we had "Remembrance Day" last season). And it comes from a first time writer too. The reveal about Christian DeVille's tweet was one highlight.

"Labor Day" from last week also had its moments (you can't go wrong with a singing Lance Reddick), but it was amazing to see them not holding back against the hypocrisy, pettiness and self-centeredness on social media, a universal theme, rather than just making it about the push in the media for sensationalism.

Yeah, it was impressively dark and pointed, and was the season highlight for me in what's generally been a really strong batch of episodes, I loved how vicious they were when it came to attacking social media obsessives. And I really enjoyed Labor Day as well, Christian DeVille being a Harry Potter fan made me laugh an enormous amount, Lance Reddick is so fucking good in this, and the posters of John at the end were shockingly funny too.

NoSleep

Two episodes dropping tomorrow. This has been excellent all season (again). I'm expecting some callback to John's marriage and Christian's relationship to the BNN anchor as well as references to nicotine toothpaste.