Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:37:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BBC Sounds Replaces iPlayer Radio

Started by Satchmo Distel, January 14, 2019, 12:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Explanation

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/introducing-sounds

It seems to be purely a branding change to appeal to the kids, but will there be benefits? Will shows be archived for longer periods?

olliebean

It's not just a branding change, it's a site redesign that makes it harder to find what you're looking for.

Sebastian Cobb

momatt

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 14, 2019, 12:32:15 PM
It also doesn't support Chromecast.

Seriously?
Fucking hell.  Hopefully disabling automatic app updates updates will help.

Wait, but currently both the iPlayer and Sounds apps are available.  I thought it was just a namechange of the current app, but it's a totally new one.
Me confused.  Why do they have to keep mucking about with everything?

EDIT (panic hopefully premature):

The iPlayer app was updates a mere 5 days ago, so it is still being supported.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/mobile/chrome/chromecast-ipr

BBC iPlayer Radio app - Can I use Chromecast with the app?
Yes, you can. If you have Chromecast installed, you can cast BBC Radio programmes to your connected TV using:
The BBC iPlayer Radio Android app (Amazon Fire devices are not supported by Google at present)
The BBC iPlayer Radio iOS app (on version 9.3 of iOS and above)
It's not yet possible to cast from the BBC Sounds app, but this is coming soon.

Fabian Thomsett

THIS IS BIGGER THAN BREXIT.

Should have had a referendum.

Maurice Yeatman

This happened months ago, didn't it?

There's less of Garry Bushell in this version.

Norton Canes

Is this why we suddenly (OK as of three days ago) can't get the iPlayer (as in the TV one, not the radio one) on our television? Click the icon, fuck all happens. Is there some sort of update we need to download?

"to give you easier access to the great British content we make."

Oh, fuck off. I realise Brexit means Brexit and all but this kind of shite still sets my teeth on edge. Shit foreign content is often way more inspiring.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bim sherman shirts on January 14, 2019, 02:32:34 PM
Oh, fuck off. I realise Brexit means Brexit and all but this kind of shite still sets my teeth on edge. Shit foreign content is often way more inspiring.

Exactement.

I dont listen to radio but the charles dexter ward series mentioned on here made me get the app and i downloaded the mark riley psychedelic thing - although promising, the format was horrible and clunky

Sebastian Cobb

Paaaaul

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 14, 2019, 02:48:27 PM
Exactement.

I dont listen to radio but the charles dexter ward series mentioned on here made me get the app and i downloaded the mark riley psychedelic thing - although promising, the format was horrible and clunky
Both series are available outside of that app as podcasts.

Vodka Margarine

Downloaded the app for my phone. It's iPlayer with the useful stuff missing, like showing the most recent tracks played underneath. Utterly pointless.

shiftwork2

Downloaded and deleted it months ago.  It's iplayer radio with BBC podcasts.  Already have a podcast manager / player cheers.  Why do they have to keep mucking around with things?

Pauline Walnuts

If you're the manager on the BBC iPlayer Radio how do you justify your pay if everything just works the same way as it did before you started and everyone is happy?

Maurice Yeatman

I bet they spent several meetings discussing whether it should be Soundz.

Rocket Surgery