Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:02:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What were the cool kids listening to in 1987?

Started by lazyhour, January 14, 2019, 04:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzby

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on January 23, 2019, 09:44:59 AM
When did Snub TV start in the UK? That line up would be a good start,  The wiki page is a bit vague on the UK transmission dates?
Snub TV first series (part of DEFII on BBC2 Monday evenings, each show 30mins and was normally repeated late at night the following Sunday/early hours Monday)
7.00pm 09/01/89 - House of Love, Cookie Crew & Yello
7.00pm 16/01/89 - Sonic Youth, World Domination Enterprises
7.00pm 23/01/89 - Pixies, Lunachicks, The Shamen
7.00pm 30/01/89 - FiniTribe, KRS 1, Dinosaur Jnr, Pere Ubu
7.00pm 06/02/89 - Duncan Dhu. FiniTribe, Spaceman 3, Mute Drivers
7.00pm 13/02/89 - Wedding Present. Jesus Jones, FiniTribe, King of the Slums
7.00pm 20/02/89 - Throwing Muses, King of the Slums, Fathlma Mansions and Cathal Coughlan
7.00pm 27/02/89 - Howard Devoto & Luxuria
7.00pm 06/03/89 - The Chills, The Stone Roses (first TV appearance), Birdland, Momus
7.00pm 13/03/89 - Wire, Pere Ubu
7.00pm 20/03/89 - Bim Sherman, Godfathers, New Order

A 1 hour special on Yello aired at 6.10pm 31/07/89
A 30-minute compilation of series 1 highlights aired 08/01/90 at 6.30pm, before the second series started featuring Happy Mondays, 808 State, The Stone Roses, Ultra Vivid Scene, Barry Adamson, Boogie Down Productions

Snub TV second series (still part of DEFII on Monday evenings and 30mins, but moved to 6.30pm/6.40pm with repeats still aired the following Sunday/Monday)
6.40pm 15/01/90 - Jesus and Mary Chain, Ancient Beatbox, Ride, AC Marias, EPMD
6.40pm 22/01/90 - Big Audio Dynamite, Biting Tongues, Renegade Soundwave, Galaxie 500, MC Buzz B, Kid Congo
6.40pm 05/02/90 - Happy Mondays/Shaun Ryder, Depth Charge, KMFDM, Revenge, The Fall/Mark E. Smith
6.40pm 12/02/90 - The Breeders, Silver Bullet, Mute Drivers, Tangerine, Nitzer Ebb
6.30pm 19/02/90 - Kreisler Orchestra, Loop, Pale Saints
6.30pm 26/02/90 - Tackhead, Lush, 4AD sleeve designer V23
6.30pm 05/03/90 - Blue Aeroplanes/Gerard Langley, Wolfgang Press. Kit, The Soup Dragons
6.30pm 12/03/90 - Inspiral Carpets, Cabaret Voltaire, The Soup Dragons, Edsel Auctioneers
6.30pm 19/03/90 - The Cramps, James, A Tribe Called Quest, Big Hard Excellent Fish

Snub TV Volume 1 VHS released in 1990, containing 50 minutes of highlights of the first series

Snub TV third series (still part of DEFII on Monday evenings and 30mins, but moved back to 6.55pm/7pm with repeats still aired the following Sunday/Monday)
6.55pm 14/01/91 - Jah Shaka, Teenage Fanclub
6.55pm 21/01/91 - Manic Street Preachers, Dinosaur Jr/J Mascis, My Bloody Valentine
6.55pm 04/02/91 - no data
6.55pm 11/02/91 - Young Disciples, The City Solution, Massive Attack
6.55pm 18/02/91 - no data
7.00pm 25/02/91 - no data
7.00pm 04/03/91 - no data
7.00pm 11/03/91 - Ocean Colour Scene, Krispy Three, Moose, Gallon Drunk, Welfare Heroine
7.00pm 18/02/91 - no data
7.00pm 25/02/91 - Rebel MC, Top, Soul Family Sensation, Boo Radleys, Wolfgang Press

Snub TV Volume 2 VHS released in 1991, containing 55 minutes of highlights of the second series

studpuppet

Snub TV started in the UK in 89, but wasn't it built from an earlier US show? I have a feeling that 'At Home with the Butthole Surfers' is earlier than 89 as are some of the other US clips.

EDIT: I'll answer my own question - yes it was!

https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2017/jun/06/snub-tv-cult-80s-music-show-unearthed-underground

buzby

Quote from: studpuppet on January 23, 2019, 01:06:37 PM
Snub TV started in the UK in 89, but wasn't it built from an earlier US show? I have a feeling that 'At Home with the Butthole Surfers' is earlier than 89 as are some of the other US clips.

EDIT: I'll answer my own question - yes it was!

https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2017/jun/06/snub-tv-cult-80s-music-show-unearthed-underground
Yes, it ran for one series of 14 episodes in 1987 on the Night Flight late night weekend strand of the USA Network cable channel. Night Flight didn't have the budget to recommission it for a second series and itself was cancelled at the end of 1988. I think some of the content from the Night Network series was reused in the first BBC series.  Night Flight also showed the Some Bizzare Show, which showcased acts from Stevo's label.

They initially approached Channel 4 to continue the show in the UK but they were stringing the discussions out so when Street-Porter approached them to continue the show on her BBC2 DEFII youth-oriented strand with full control over the content they agreed, despite the potential for a bigger budget from C4. Pete Fowler was good friends with The Pixies, so when they were booked to appear on C4's Club X in June 1989 he asked them to wear SNUB TV t-shirts in 'revenge'.

gilbertharding

Quote from: jamiefairlie on January 23, 2019, 04:57:23 AM
Speaking as the quintessential pasty faced, skinny miserable indie white boy,  my list of favs from 1987 (as recorded at the end of the year as was my habit) included:

The Bhundu Boys
Catapult (they did a great Peel session)
Dead Can Dance
Half Man Half Biscuit
Lowlife (featuring original Cocteau's bass player Will Heggie)
McCarthy (proto-Stereolab)
The Beloved  (still in their guitar 4-piece incarnation)
The Chesterfields
The House of Love
The Siddeleys
The Smiths
The Wedding Present
Wire

It definitely had the feel of being a bit of an in-between era.

I presume (hope) you have a copy of A Scene In Between book?

As mentioned above (friend of The Charlottes) I was only into that after it was pretty much over, but love the song Ask Johnny Dee, originally by the Chesterfields, but enjoyed by me as a flexi-disk cover version by The Rosehips.

hermitical

I think I've got Snub TV on a hard disk somewhere if anyone wants it uploaded

studpuppet

Quote from: hermitical on January 23, 2019, 04:29:18 PM

YES - been waiting on an unseeded torrent now for donkeys'.

massive bereavement

I'd watched TOTP religiously since Glam Rock days and as a teen tuned into the Tube and Whistle Test but by 1985 I couldn't relate to any of it anymore. My parents listened to contemporary pop music, I thought that was for old people by then, whilst anything remotely edgy just seemed like a pale imitation of what had happened at least 8 years earlier. 

I'll never forget getting on a bus home around 1987 having just bought a CD of The Doors "Waiting for the Sun" and I bumped into one of the cool kids at school. He took my CD and said "When did this come out then? 1963, ha ha ha", "1968 actually" I replied and he then advised me that I should get into some proper music like George Michael.

By 1992 I was back into the swing of things. But mid-late 80s, no thanks.

kngen

Quote from: buzby on January 23, 2019, 12:35:03 PM
Snub TV first series (part of DEFII on BBC2 Monday evenings, each show 30mins and was normally repeated late at night the following Sunday/early hours Monday)
7.00pm 09/01/89 - House of Love, Cookie Crew & Yello

And a big section on Fugazi (for some reason I thought gig footage was recorded in London, but it may well have come from that US show – although Fugazi already had a Peel Session by then, so maybe it was filmed by the BBC. Anyone know for sure? EDIT: Actually seems unlikely it was shot in 87, but not impossible as they were just starting out then.)

As a 16-year-old hardcore kid watching them talk about how ritualised and toothless hardcore had become, me and mate were shouting 'Oh fuck off, grandad' at my TV. But look how young they are!! Bwaaaah!

Norton Canes

I'm sure this Front 242 interview came from Snub TV - the first series, if Headhunter was about to be released.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: buzby on January 23, 2019, 12:35:03 PM7.00pm 06/03/89 - The Chills, The Stone Roses (first TV appearance), Birdland, Momus
National TV, perhaps? They were on Granada's "The Other Side of Midnight" in January '89. And certainly I've seen a clip of them playing 'Elephant Stone' that featured a slightly awkward interview with Brown and Squire beforehand that may be before that. 

buzby

Quote from: kngen on January 23, 2019, 05:15:48 PM
And a big section on Fugazi (for some reason I thought gig footage was recorded in London, but it may well have come from that US show – although Fugazi already had a Peel Session by then, so maybe it was filmed by the BBC. Anyone know for sure? EDIT: Actually seems unlikely it was shot in 87, but not impossible as they were just starting out then.)

As a 16-year-old hardcore kid watching them talk about how ritualised and toothless hardcore had become, me and mate were shouting 'Oh fuck off, grandad' at my TV. But look how young they are!! Bwaaaah!
It was filmed by Pete Fowler with Brenda Kelly doing the interview at the Boston Arms gig in 12th of December 1988 (they were talking about Suggestion, which was released in November 1988 on their debut EP) so it was new footage for the first BBC series in January 1989. The BBC didn't film anything for SNUB, it was pretty much all Fowler & Kelly on a budget of £8k per episode.

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 23, 2019, 05:53:10 PM
National TV, perhaps? They were on Granada's "The Other Side of Midnight" in January '89. And certainly I've seen a clip of them playing 'Elephant Stone' that featured a slightly awkward interview with Brown and Squire beforehand that may be before that. 
Yes, it was their first  national TV appearance. I think the Elephant Stone interview was for The Music Box satellite TV channel in 1988.

buzby

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 23, 2019, 05:20:48 PM
I'm sure this Front 242 interview came from Snub TV - the first series, if Headhunter was about to be released.
That's Tracey McLeod narrating so it's probably from DEFII sibling Rapido:
BBC2 11/11/89 5.45pm - Antoine de Caunes presents a Rapido special on European music, featuring: the Young Gods, Front 242, Zucchero Fornachiari , plus Brits who've recorded in French.

SNUB rrarely used narration, and for interviews if an offscreen voice was heard it as usually Brenda Kelly's Aussie twang.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: buzby on January 23, 2019, 07:08:30 PMYes, it was their first  national TV appearance. I think the Elephant Stone interview was for The Music Box satellite TV channel in 1988.
Yes, would add up. Thinking it over, I saw it on some Stone Roses compilation video a friend had when we were both learning guitar/bass and listened to that first album constantly. Hope I didn't come across as a pedantic arse.

Quote from: jamiefairlie on January 23, 2019, 06:15:41 AM
First couple of singles from House of Love (Shine On and Real Animal) came out in 87 and I bought them both (I expect Peel played them or I read about them in the NME). I think the 'German album' compilation also came out in late 87 and Andrea Heukamp left at the end of that year too.
I remember reading something one of the House of Love said, may have been in Dave Cavanagh's Creation book, that her leaving may have been the worst thing for the band, as they suddenly became an "all lads" affair with no discouragement to bad behaviour.

She still appeared on all subsequent albums of their initial run on backing vocals, including the much-maligned "Audience with the Mind", which I may be the only person to actually rate.

DrGreggles

HELLO!

buzby

I would also like to express an interest.

Jockice

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on January 14, 2019, 08:08:50 PM
Oh, yeah , " I Am A Wallet " by McCarthy, too. Indeed, " The Well Of Loneliness " remains one of the best perky-pop miserabilist tunes named after a novel by a lesbian author to this very day
Unless, of course, * you * know different. * Gives cheeky wink to camera *

That was another one in my top five of the year. I also believe it's one of James Dean Bradfield's favourite albums ever.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Jockice on January 23, 2019, 09:47:41 PM
That was another one in my top five of the year. I also believe it's one of James Dean Bradfield's favourite albums ever.

Understandable. McCarthy always were the proto Manic Street Preachers, more than the proto Stereolab. Under the influence of those pseudo-fey fops, top Mark Thomas lookalike James Dean Bradfield and the boyos, while recording their epochal 1994 album may well have thought of smoothing out the rough bits and, basically, sounding like latterday Queen, as they were to do on the album that was to follow in 1996, but had a change of heart . " Wait." They thought to themselves " Should ' The Holy Bible ' Be Bland  ? "

hermitical

Had a shitty few days so I'll look into the Snub thing at the weekend

Sebastian Cobb

while you're at it.

kngen

Quote from: buzby on January 23, 2019, 07:08:30 PM
It was filmed by Pete Fowler with Brenda Kelly doing the interview at the Boston Arms gig in 12th of December 1988 (they were talking about Suggestion, which was released in November 1988 on their debut EP) so it was new footage for the first BBC series in January 1989.

Yes, the Boston Arms! I retained that knowledge at some point in the previous 20 or so years, then misfiled it. Ta!

hermitical

5th December?

Peel session was the 13th

I didn't see them till '89, Nottingham

kngen

Quote from: hermitical on January 24, 2019, 04:44:50 PM
5th December?

Peel session was the 13th

I didn't see them till '89, Nottingham

Yeah, that was the second tour, wasn't it? I don't think they played more than four gigs on the first one.They came up to Glasgow on their second visit, and played at the Mayfair (might have been renamed the Garage by that point). Ian MacKaye claimed Scottish heritage, and the crowd went: 'Aaah, ya dick!' (but in a nice way). Was a fun night.

BlodwynPig

hermitical

Quote from: kngen on January 24, 2019, 04:49:58 PM
Yeah, that was the second tour, wasn't it?

That's right, Nottingham was the regular place for me, then went to see them a few other places as well over 4 years or so

buzby

Quote from: hermitical on January 24, 2019, 04:44:50 PM
5th December?
Sorry, yes it was the 5th of December. Sodding Americans with their stupid date formats!

studpuppet

Quote from: hermitical on January 24, 2019, 10:16:34 PM
9th November - Never Forget

At least ours had the good grace and forethought to strike on 7/7 and avoid all that confusion - "gentlemen terrorists" as Stewart Lee would say.

a duncandisorderly

stick me down for the snub collection too please.

1987?

sonic youth, beasties, metallica, cocteaus, residents, tuxedomoon, big black...

hermitical

I've got all three series of the UK Snub

Series 1 - avi files, varying between 490MB and 730MB
Series 2 & 3 - mp4 files, mostly between 195MB and 210MB

Are people still interested?
It's about 7GB total so I don't have enough space in Dropbox but I do have space in Google Drive.
I was thinking of using Mega but other ideas welcome.