Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:15:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Game Of Thrones Season 8

Started by Dog Botherer, January 15, 2019, 06:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dog Botherer

There's an actual trailer now, and it'll be out in April. Time for a thread.

Rewatching Season 7 right now. Forgot how fucking dogshit it was. Just so much unimportant, boring scenes and plot lines. Had completely blocked out Euron too.

Anyway, this'll be shit I reckon. Discuss.

lebowskibukowski

Kind of lost interest when Richard E Grant popped up playing Richard E Grant but no doubt I will see it through until the bitter end. Why are you not a fan of Euron? The only thing GoT needed to pull it back from the abyss was a comedy pirate...

Cuellar

I wish they would end it with the Night King and his cronies easily and methodically overwhelming everyone south of the wall. A slow, inexorable conquering.

THE END.

Norton Canes

I wish they would end with the evil Night King on the throne going "Let's rebuild the wall!"

Edit: Oh hang on, that's what you were getting at anyway isn't it. Sorry.

wooders1978

Get back to having loads of tits in it I say

Golden E. Pump

I'm genuinely sad because it's going to be a clusterfuck. The show writers have missed what was so special about the first four seasons. A slow-burning political drama where no one had plot armour, the characters had a sense of individuality and the plot never relied on a deux ex machina or a suspension of disbelief.

Of course I'll watch it to find out how it ends but I really don't think it'll be good. The heroes will win, well get some admittedly impressive CGI battles and someone will probably die as a traitor. Probably Tyrion. Because they'll chuck in a poorly written twist that makes little sense in the context of what has come before.

Still reeling from the shambles that was the end of creepy mastermind Littlefinger as a tool for female empowerment that went totally against his intelligent character.

Dex Sawash

Hoping they don't integrate Danerys into the other stories too much. I'm trained to fast-forward as soon as there is sand in the shot.

chveik

I'm glad this is a over, maybe Hbo will put all their money into more interesting shows in the future

good times

Currently rewatching GOT for the first time having resisted doing so for a long time, mainly because I'd hated the last couple of series.

The downturn in quality had convinced me the whole show was crap but I'm up to the start of series four and it really is quite excellent isn't it?

It'll be interesting (for me) to pinpoint where and why the show starts to decline, but I'm fairly certain offing half of the best characters didn't help.

Joffrey is easily one of the greatest TV characters of all time.

Thursday

Mister Six

Quote from: good times on January 19, 2019, 06:24:48 PM
It'll be interesting (for me) to pinpoint where and why the show starts to decline, but I'm fairly certain offing half of the best characters didn't help.

That'll be the next season, with Jamie's trip to Dorne to rescue his daughter. The first plotline created by the shows creators rather than adapted from the books, and a grim sign of what was to follow.

I'll watch it to the end, but it's painfully obvious that they're working from bullet points off the back of a fag packet and don't have the imagination or ability to disguise or elevate the raw, grinding, clunky mechanics of necessity.

(Though to be fair GRRM only gets away with it by burying the actual plot under mountains of extraneous subplots and characters, which they're not able to do.)

Custard

Looking back now, it reminds me a bit of Lost, in that it had a great premise, superb first few seasons, great characters, then quickly got too samey, daft and drawn out. If it'd been 4 dynamite seasons, 5 at a push, it'd have been one of the all-time great shows. But the last 3 seasons are nowhere near the quality of what came before, and it's stock has fallen substantially

I'm predicting the spin off will die on it's arse, too. It's had it's moment

EDIT - Oh, and I too would love to see the White Walkers win. As humans are cunts

chveik

Quote from: Shameless Custard on January 19, 2019, 11:49:31 PM
Looking back now, it reminds me a bit of Lost, in that it had a great premise, superb first few seasons, great characters, then quickly got too samey, daft and drawn out. If it'd been 4 dynamite seasons, 5 at a push, it'd have been one of the all-time great shows. But the last 3 seasons are nowhere near the quality of what came before, and it's stock has fallen substantially

this is blasphemy, Lost is so much better

Norton Canes

For some inexplicable reason it's just flashed into my head that the final line of the whole series will be 'Summer Is Coming'. Though sure it's not an entirely original thought.

MojoJojo

Picture of a flower growing through some snow maybe?

wooders1978

God that would so relentlessly shit that you are probably correct

mjwilson

I mean the final book is going to be called A Dream of Spring and I would be surprised if the last episode of the show isn't.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Shameless Custard on January 19, 2019, 11:49:31 PM

Except that Season 4 and 5 of Lost are two of the best seasons. I think Season 3 was mostly a stinker, before they confirmed the end-date of the series and so were really stalling for time. The last season was mostly poor though.

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 21, 2019, 03:49:23 PM
For some inexplicable reason it's just flashed into my head that the final line of the whole series will be 'Summer Is Coming'. Though sure it's not an entirely original thought.

I half expect the camera to zoom out and show it's all happened in a giant's eye, like Nan told the kids in the first season/book.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Series 3/4 were my least favourites and as for the political stuff, that's always been soap-opera level embarrassing.

The best Game of Thrones stuff has always been:

Northerners telling twats to do one
Northerners chinning twats for not doing one
Tyrion getting pissed and doing schemes
John Snow in big coat
Scenery
Geordie knight one liners
Tits
Some Arya stuff, more than others
Bald eunuch man but only after he becomes self-aware and starts camping it up all over the place
Disgusting visceral bodily functions
Fights

colacentral

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 22, 2019, 08:58:16 AM
Series 3/4 were my least favourites and as for the political stuff, that's always been soap-opera level embarrassing.

Yeah, I agree with that. I've been watching since season one and always thought it was mindless bollocks; there's some silly sword fight almost every episode. I didn't think anyone took it seriously as a political drama until years later.  It's like saying Doctor Who is a character study.

Konki

The only thing that'll save the final season is if they concentrate exclusively on the Hound going round with the hump sorting all the shit out like some medieval Jack Regan. Final scene: slouched on the iron throne and surrounded by corpses he loosens his armour, takes a huge swig on a well-deserved scotch and tells any survivors present to put their knickers on. FIN.

Thomas

The final scene will be of all the main characters agreeing that 'it truly was... a game of thrones.'

Thursday

Whoever's sitting on the iron throne will say "You know what, I 'could get used to this!"

Custard

Or they'll finally get to the throne, and sadly their bum won't fit

Kryton

If it doesn't end with Bronn winking at the camera, then I don't see the point in any of this.

wooders1978

It's all sorted - Tyrion sticks his head round the door: "anyone fancy a game of thrones?" - ohhhh TYRION! The heroes chime in unison.... fade to black

Dex Sawash

If it doesn't end with Bran telling Jaime Lannister "fair enough on cunting me off that tower" then I don't see any point in this

garnish

The end scene is everyone laying dead on a cold waste ground, the camera pans out and we see that in fact the whole thing is just small dolls on board, laying on a table top.  Two men are sat at the table playing with the dolls.

"Blimey that's a bit dark isn't it Lovejoy?"

"Well Eric, you did say you wanted a good story!"

Cut to theme music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8_Lw9XFMIE