Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 10:26:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Game Of Thrones Season 8

Started by Dog Botherer, January 15, 2019, 06:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

this is the summary by a friend in another parish

Quote from: My Great Mate GavinWell that could have been worse but it was pretty underwhelming all the same. Thought the actual plot points were fine but as with earlier in s8 the execution was poor and/or rushed. Like Jon ending up with the wildlings makes total sense but having him orderd to the wall to placate the unsullied, who promptly bugger off forever? Is one of them staying behind to keep tabs on him? Would have liked them to leave a bit longer between Danys taking power and her getting stabbed, like this is something with huge ramifications, let it sink in a bit! Also thought the mad queen speech bit was Emilia Clarke's most convincing acting in ages. Oh yeah also I am gutted to have spent all this time defending Samwall only to have him deliver both of this episode's total shit wink-at-the-audience moments, so disappointing, I hope that massive astrolabe in the citadel falls on his head.

Dr Sanchez

I don't think Greyworm should have got off scot free.

He slaughtered plenty and blindly followed Danerys. He was also just really shit and boring with an annoying face.

dallasman

Quote from: Thursday on May 20, 2019, 06:04:40 PM
Also, he could just come back after all the unsullied and dothraki have fucked off, what are they going to do? I suppose that's why Yara's slightly crowbarred loyalty to Dany came in.

Yeah, I didn't get why Yara was so furiously adamant that he recieve so mild a punishment. We're talking about Dany's horrific murder of thousands and the planned murder of millions more. Jon, on Kingmaker Tyrion's explicit advice, killed Dany to prevent that. It's not really up for debate, and once he's afforded special treatment (trial by combat wisely abolished by King Tommen the Resolute), why not just let him go with a Royal Pardon? Yara has all she needs; the Unsullied and Dothraki are off to Nath and yes, what are any of them going to do if Jon just, say, goes to Winterfell to help his brave, defiant sister rule her new kingdom? He could certainly be useful, plus they're cousins. I guess there's another self-aggrandizing redhead he loves more, the pretty-faced little fucker.

Snow needed to go back up North where he apparently belongs, because he hates material comforts, nice weather, intelligent conversation, a varied diet, his family and everyone from that King's Landing they have now. He and Tyrion both embraced duty and service at the end, though for Jon it was a punishment, while for Tyrion it was a reward that he - despite his meek protestations in the pit - always acted as if he was entitled to. And fair dos, Bran was probably the best choice and Tyrion will make an excellent hand. That part, in isolation, worked for me.

It makes some sense, at a stretch, to say that the remaining Stark children have learned their lessons and are living out their destinies. I guess. But the whole thing was so infuriatingly rushed, especially given the long, drawn-out opening. Even for this show, for this season, there was in ordinate number of "huh?" moments. No shots of the formidable army that brought the undefeated Unsullied and Dothraki to their knees. No shots of King's Landing being rebuilt. Who's going to live there? Where are these "everybody" that Sam talked about? It was almost surreal, in a "let's do the play right here" kind of way. Everyone with a name gathers on one of the low-maintenance sets and everyone gets to speak once, maybe twice. That's the future of Europe sown up. Aargh. Still, it was the end of an era, and I can't really say I'm mad, just bleh. Think I'll rewatch it, see if I missed any redeeming details, and then just check the fuck outta Westeros for a good long while. See y'all in the prequel threads in a year or two!

Chollis

George RR Martin DESTROYS D&D you won't BELIEVE what

https://twitter.com/ShahDanish_/status/1130326068932431872

I wonder how much of this incredibly rushed last two seasons is down to those two or if the whole cast/crew wanted to move on.

Alberon

Apart from two bits of real emotion (Tyrion finding Jaime and Cersei) and Drogon mourning his 'mother' the rest of it was just

Just hope GRRM writes a better ending when the final volume is released in Twenty-Fucking-Never.

sevendaughters

think I am OUT for the prequels, just not interested. going to read/listen to the books and then re-watch GOT in a couple of years ago. been watching old clips and still find the first few series thrilling, a brilliant adaptation, not just good in comparison.

Mr Eggs

Let's all have a wank and forget about it.

phes

Bran is gonna look like beloved cunt internet personality Glinner when he hits forty

Danny did well to chat up an area 4 times the size of Glastonbury

Unfortunate that they picked two of the most limited actors for two of the biggest roles in the whole show. Danny did her chat well though so fair fucks to her.

Brienne's handwriting was a bit shit but they should have scrapped the comic relief in the dragon pit and at the table, given Bienne a bookie's pen and made her writing as bad as that Spanish old dear's restoration of Jesus Christ. Hearts over her i's

I could go on but nobody wants that

Dr Sanchez

Quote from: Chollis on May 20, 2019, 07:28:49 PM

I wonder how much of this incredibly rushed last two seasons is down to those two or if the whole cast/crew wanted to move on.

Peter Dinky seemed very keen to stop doing the show. In one interview he said something like "Oh it's the right time, it's time to stop" he had quite a cunty look on his face when he said it too.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

My take of the king's counsel descending into petty arguing then sort of fading out is that life in Westeros isn't about to get stable any time soon. They are all going to continue going about their cunty self-serving ways.

Nice to see a minor reform to an elected rather than hereditary monarch though, nice one guize

They should have just done a bullshit hollywood ending like Commando and sorted it all out by episode 4. John Snow and Dany storm kings landing, kick the shit out of the bad nonces and Sir See, rule together 4 evz. Even get a nice late 80s rock tune to play us out. Seriously. That would have been better.

Alberon

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 20, 2019, 09:26:05 PM
Nice to see a minor reform to an elected rather than hereditary monarch though, nice one guize

Though how long will that last? It just take one utter bastard to decide his/her offspring will follow them for it all to go to shit.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Also, the dragon should be at a war crimes tribunal, not let off because it melted a throne in a symbolic shunning of despotic power.

sevendaughters

I thought the Small Council would actually get along, that Bronn would basically play the accidental bureaucrat to keep it lively, but ultimately they were all so fed up with war that they'd keep the peace for the foreseeable.

mothman

Quote from: Chollis on May 20, 2019, 07:28:49 PM

Classy. Shit all over the two people who made you a household name. OK, sure, it's a two-way street, they're hardly blameless, but he could have been more involved and used some of his new-found clout to influence the show's direction. 

NoSleep

I don't think that's something he's said just this week; I saw that quoted in an older article.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

They didn't really show Cersei up as a terrible ruler, just a shit of a person over the course of the series. Could have done that a bit better. Could have shown the city inhabitants or her armies as having an opinion or split allegiance too. I guess that also comes under rushed.

mothman

Also, I have a theory. Drogon acted rather odd there at the end... because Bran was warging him at the time. That's why he melted the throne, then flew off with Dany's body. When he says at the end he's going to try to find Drogon, he's bullshitting, he knows where he's gone because he made him go there. And he's accepted the throne to actually take an (Iron) back seat and let the six kingdoms be ruled by committee (as a first step towards Sam's proposal?).

And while I'm at it I'll just throw this out there: Drogon (aka DroBran) has taken Dany's body north to use Raven/Forest/First Men/White Walker/whatever magic to resurrect her (with some handy amnesia) to live as a Wildling girl, meet Jon, fall in love and live happily ever after.

Cuellar

What the hell was that.

When the fucking book appeared and Sam was all "look its A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE" I wanted to cunt my TV through the wall.

Cuellar

King Beardsley decrees chicken wraps and a good stare to be mandatory

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ep 5 was dramatic, but ultimately though, no-one goes from sacrificing everything to save humanity from zombies to flamethrowering innocent families to death despite having clearly already won that quickly.

That's where they blew it. Should have got to the Night King fight quicker then had time to set up the transition a bit.

colacentral

Quote from: Cuellar on May 20, 2019, 10:11:49 PM
What the hell was that.

When the fucking book appeared and Sam was all "look its A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE" I wanted to cunt my TV through the wall.

He should have said "I call it: Jonny and the Dragosaurus"

Thomas

I liked the bit where Sam proposed inventing something called television so they could dramatise recent events and they all laughed at him and told him to fuck off, fuck right off.

Bingo Fury

Quote from: mothman on May 20, 2019, 09:45:29 PM
Classy. Shit all over the two people who made you a household name. OK, sure, it's a two-way street, they're hardly blameless, but he could have been more involved and used some of his new-found clout to influence the show's direction. 

Is GRRM the most objective person to decide if his story should be stretched out to ten seasons of television? I'm no expert (I've only read the first book and have seen very few interviews with him), but didn't he admit to completely losing his way in the middle and padding out the timeframe by introducing lots of unnecessary new characters and storylines?

Thursday

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 20, 2019, 09:26:05 PM
My take of the king's counsel descending into petty arguing then sort of fading out is that life in Westeros isn't about to get stable any time soon. They are all going to continue going about their cunty self-serving ways.

This seems like a satisfying ending to me though. Minor reform, slightly better nicer people on the counsel. Eventually problems will happen, because of all the flaws in humanity, but it makes more sense than anything utopian or dystopian.

Beagle 2

What difference does it make if the Nerth is independent, a Stark is on the throne. It's devo max at best.

phantom_power

Quote from: mothman on May 20, 2019, 09:45:29 PM

I don't think he is shitting on them. He is just saying the material was there to do more but the creators chose not to because they didn't want to be doing it forever. He seemed fairly circumspect about it and it is a bit of a stretch for the GRRM loyalists to be calling it a diss

phantom_power

Quote from: Thursday on May 20, 2019, 06:00:27 PM
Paraphrasing what I saw someone else say here, but Dany's death meant nothing because she's now suddenly transformed into a 1d evil baddie who needs to be killed by the goodie. She's not a fully fleshed out character anymore, so it's just something that needed to be ticked off.

I don't think that is true. She believed she was doing it all for the right reason. She nearly persuaded Jon I think as well. It was only when she said that no-one else had a choice that he decided he had to kill her. If she hadn't gone quite so batshit flaming crazy she would still be a beloved queen. I don't think she was one dimensional at all

Kryton

How come the North was allowed to be independent but Dorne or the Iron Islands weren't? Dorne especially was independent for fucking ages, especially throughout the original conquest by the Targs...

How come everyone thinks an elective Monarchy is fine? Wouldn't it just create more conflict when various houses just want to push their own agenda when Bran eventually carks it? Nothing to stop a few well placed assassinations here and there to kill off rivals. Or houses bitterly rejecting decisions.

I thought Bronn wanted a castle? Him being master of coin means he has to stay in King's Landing, which renders his castle in High Garden pointless.

Why didn't Jon get tarnished with a Queen slayer title? What stops him from just returning when the Unsullied fuck right off to Naarth? Also why didn't Greyworm kill Jon after Jon killed Dany? Did they just accept it and arrest him? Kinda goes against the scene when they were randomly executing surrendered Lannisters who posed zero threat and were defending their own city from a flame-breathing monster.

What is point of the Night's watch now? Is it just a symbolic exile? After all there's nothing to 'defend' against. The Wildlings turned out to be a great bunch of lads and the undead are properly dead as fuck. Also there's a huge fucking hole in the wall.

How is Sam a Maester? I thought he stole a load of books, illegaly cured Jorah and fucked off with his missus?

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Kryton on May 21, 2019, 12:33:48 AM
How come the North was allowed to be independent but Dorne or the Iron Islands weren't? Dorne especially was independent for fucking ages, especially throughout the original conquest by the Targs...

How is Sam a Maester? I thought he stole a load of books, illegaly cured Jorah and fucked off with his missus?

mates with the king obvz. also interesting that you say Naarth as well, as the other half spent the morning laughing at me because apparently it's Naath. i call bullshit, it's always been Naarth on the show.

Mister Six

Only just watched it because I've been stuck without the internet for far too long, but aye that was all right. Some smashing shots (that one of Drogon's wings unfolding behind Dany especially, and the opening and end were grand.

It did lose me in the middle though. Drogon's smart enough to understand symbolism, bit not clever enough to work out Jon killed his mum? Winter passed in a week or so - or everyone pissed above with Jon and Tyrion captive for years? Jon gets sent to the Wall, but there's a massive hole in it, the Wildlings are everyone's mates now and the Night's King is dead so what's the point? The Dothraki just sort of disappear? Greyworm and his mates just leave King's Landing for no reason after handing over Jon and Tyrion so why even bother making Jon follow through on that deal?

But then there was a lovely ending where the characters I liked more or less would up all right, and I was happy again. Argh, I've moaned like a cunt the past couple of years but I do like this cast and these characters, and it did sign off reasonably well. I assume GRRM's got the ending worked out in detail and that's why Benioff and Weiss were able to sort this out.

Oh - and if I were Brienne I would have added in that Jamie had a tiny cock.