Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:28:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Game Of Thrones Season 8

Started by Dog Botherer, January 15, 2019, 06:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

Quote from: Mister Six on May 24, 2019, 11:27:20 PM
Westworld lost a ton of viewers with its shit second season, didn't it?

Yes. I'm still a fan, would like to see where it goes. But I mention it because it's the only other vaguely high-profile product of theirs I can think of.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: mothman on May 24, 2019, 10:51:01 PM
What's HBO's big draw going to be now, then? I see there's a trailer out for Westworld season 3 (it's got Aaron Paul in it) but it's not showing till next year...

I really like Barry and Succession, though they're not exactly ratings smashes. Watchmen and Lovecraft Country could be though, along with His Dark Materials, Steven Moffat's The Time Traveler's Wife, Joss Whedon's The Nevers and J.J. Abrams' Demimonde.

mothman

Huh. For some reason I thought Watchmen was Amazon. Obviously not. I do wonder if Barry might be my sort of thing, but I'm really not that much of a comedy fan. No, really.

EDIT: I've been educating myself: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programs_broadcast_by_HBO

kngen

Quote from: Mister Six on May 24, 2019, 11:27:20 PM

Westworld lost a ton of viewers with its shit second season, didn't it?

Oh christ, given that I dipped out halfway through the first one (with a vague promise to myself to return when I could be arsed), this doesn't bode well ....

Mister Six

Quote from: kngen on May 25, 2019, 03:29:44 AM
Oh christ, given that I dipped out halfway through the first one (with a vague promise to myself to return when I could be arsed), this doesn't bode well ....

I'd say the first season is worth watching, even though I couldn't be arsed to finish the second.

mothman

I still like the show. But I do feel s2 tried to put too much stock in repeating s1's "actually two very distinct time periods being depicted at once" surprised ending. Not giving anything away, but given much of the season seemed to be Jeffrey Wright wondering around looking confused and it transpires he's doing so within two consecutive time periods and it's what happens in between that's the surprise, it didn't have the same impact as s1's twist ending.

mjwilson

Quote from: Mister Six on May 24, 2019, 02:15:50 PM
Yeah, that would be a sensible way to do it, rather than investing three times the cash in three unconnected but otherwise largely similar medieval fantasy shows. Didn't they commission pre-production on five shows originally, to whittle then down? This looks like a continuation of that.

I thought the five shows was just people pitching ideas, I don't think they got as far as pre-production.

Quote from: mothman on May 24, 2019, 10:51:01 PM
What's HBO's big draw going to be now, then? I see there's a trailer out for Westworld season 3 (it's got Aaron Paul in it) but it's not showing till next year...

Watchmen isn't it?

Mister Six

Quote from: mothman on May 25, 2019, 09:36:42 AM
I still like the show. But I do feel s2 tried to put too much stock in repeating s1's "actually two very distinct time periods being depicted at once" surprised ending. Not giving anything away, but given much of the season seemed to be Jeffrey Wright wondering around looking confused and it transpires he's doing so within two consecutive time periods and it's what happens in between that's the surprise, it didn't have the same impact as s1's twist ending.

I was also looking confused by most of it. I think the problem is that you can have the viewer asking "Why are the characters doing this?" but not "What are the characters doing?" - at least not with the majority of your cast, for long stretches of time. Thandie Newton's character was the only one whose goal was clear, and thus the only one I was able to emotionally connect with.

Quote from: mjwilson on May 25, 2019, 10:47:01 AM
I thought the five shows was just people pitching ideas, I don't think they got as far as pre-production.

I thought all five had initial scripts written up, under advisement by GRRM?

mothman

Quote from: Mister Six on May 25, 2019, 05:22:03 PM
I was also looking confused by most of it. I think the problem is that you can have the viewer asking "Why are the characters doing this?" but not "What are the characters doing?" - at least not with the majority of your cast, for long stretches of time. Thandie Newton's character was the only one whose goal was clear, and thus the only one I was able to emotionally connect with.

Yeah.You ended up with four storylines. Dolores, you didn't really know what she was trying to do (and neither did Teddy, judging from his expression when he wasn't looking appalled at what she was doing). You knew what the Thandie Gang were doing but my goodness they took forever to do it/get there (the Samuraiworld visit was fun but pointless); it really was more about the friends they made along the way... The Man In Black's storyline was also gnomic once again, but hell, it's ED BLOODY HARRIS, I could probably watch him do his weekly shop and it'd be brilliant. Which just leaves Jeffrey Wright as poor hapless Bernard, the glue that holds it all together - his amnesiac double journey (you could tell which time period was which at least, thanks to who he was with) punctuated only by regularly removing his glasses with a shaky hand (I'd make a drinking game out of it but it'd be suicidal) taking us through what happened after the end of s1. I loved it, but the audience leaving in droves didn't half cause a draft.

mjwilson

Big old documentary up now, mostly discussing on the crew.

gatchamandave

Quote from: mjwilson on May 28, 2019, 07:31:49 PM

..and it is lovely, really sweet and interesting focused on the folk behind the scenes.

Twit 2

It was nice. It really gives you a sense of how enormous the production was. I enjoyed the 'snow man' and the logistics woman who swore like a sailor. Amazing how much background is CGI - lots of important scenes were just in a quarry with some cardboard screens to represent castle walls seemingly. Did anyone else clock that in the table read the actors were pretty much delivering lines in character and with gusto while Clarke just read hers in a monotone?

Those actors live a charmed life though:

"We're going to have to send you to Seville, to bum around as a decoy."
"Oh dear."

Mobius

Varys looked pretty pissed reading his final lines didn't he

Whatever views I have on the final season, definitely can't knock the actors and staff. Seemed like a real nice group

mjwilson

Quote from: Twit 2 on May 28, 2019, 10:18:16 PM
It was nice. It really gives you a sense of how enormous the production was. I enjoyed the 'snow man' and the logistics woman who swore like a sailor. Amazing how much background is CGI - lots of important scenes were just in a quarry with some cardboard screens to represent castle walls seemingly. Did anyone else clock that in the table read the actors were pretty much delivering lines in character and with gusto while Clarke just read hers in a monotone?

The bit where she's sentencing Varys? I don't think that's fair, she's doing "controlled anger" I think.

Twit 2

That's very generous, I don't think she knows how to 'do' anything.

mjwilson

I get that but I think she was pretty good this season.

gatchamandave

Quote from: mjwilson on May 29, 2019, 05:03:07 PM
I get that but I think she was pretty good this season.

Up to a point, Lord Copper. She's been reasonable in the scenes where she had someone decent to bounce of -Dinklage notably - but when she's on her own against a green screen she's poor. I didn't buy Dany's heel turn to burn down King's Landing at all, due to her facial.expression hardly changing.

NoSleep

I don't think anyone could have acted that ridiculous pause any better. It was bad writing to leave everything hanging like that. It would have been better if everyone woke to the fact that she was already off on an unstoppable rampage.

Alberon

Yes! The tension of waiting for the bells, the relief at them ringing as Dany and the dragon sail overhead (showing that she's heard them). Then the dragon does a slow turn and just starts roasting the populace.

Golden E. Pump

I've just remembered to post my 'Kit for Shunts' pun I've been sat on for eight years.

Sorry.

Head Gardener

Dr Sanchez

Quote from: mjwilson on May 28, 2019, 07:31:49 PM

I went to the GOT exhibition in Belfast. It's in the big building that housed all the costumes, extras, make up rooms etc. and just beside it is the Kings Landing set they used for the episode Danerys burns it all down. It's still up for some reason. It was interesting seeing the scale of the production up close.

A lot of the extras were working in the exhibition including the fella that is featured a lot in the documentary. I approached him to tell him that I recognised him from the documentary and he was an absolute gentleman and took me around some of the nearby costumes and told me little insider stories.

Quote from: Head Gardener on June 15, 2019, 02:36:28 PM
at last, Jon Snow apologises

Keeping in theme with the teleporting between locations, his accent warps all over the shop.

Twit 2

Turned that off after a few seconds, cos anyone who makes a YouTube video about something is a cunt, plain and simple.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Twit 2 on July 09, 2019, 07:09:00 AM
Turned that off after a few seconds, cos anyone who makes a YouTube video about something is a cunt, plain and simple.

liked and subscribed

Piggyoioi

Quote from: Twit 2 on July 09, 2019, 07:09:00 AM

hell yeah dude. i'd go even further, fuck anyone that makes anything, plain and simple.

Twit 2