Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:50:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Game Of Thrones Season 8

Started by Dog Botherer, January 15, 2019, 06:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Quote from: NoSleep on April 18, 2019, 07:19:37 AM
The marriage is documented at the Citadel; hence Sam being the bringer of the news. Jon's lineage might depend upon the word of Bran, though; or maybe Ned's mate was witness - Howland Reed, who lives in the marshland (The Neck); the dad of the two (Meera & Jojen) who accompanied Bran & Hodor beyond the Wall.

Cheers. What happened to Meera? Is she still knocking about?

NoSleep

I guess she's gone back to the Neck with the news of her brother's death. Howland may have to make an appearance this season. He may even be the first to bend the knee to the true king and declare his true lineage (Jon won't).

NoSleep

Just remembered that Daenerys' ultimate goal is to "break the wheel", which may not fit well with Jon being recognised. Remembering, of course, that the rule of the Targaryens/King's Landing, etc only dates back about 300 years or so; hardly the ancient order of things in a land with tens of thousands of years of history.

Quote from: Kryton on April 16, 2019, 05:17:11 PM
I think Brann will probably thank Jaime for allowing him to become the three eyed raven possibly saving his life?

I did think the Jaime/Bran cliffhanger was interesting. I'm guessing Bran won't be vengeful because he is now on a higher plane where everything was supposed to happen, everything is inevitable, blah blah.

I'm curious about the fact that Bran, as a psychic, knows everything about Jaime's life. He knows Jaime killed the mad king in an act of conscience. He will probably encourage him to do the same again to Daenerys. Get Sam to make Jon accept his heritage, and get Jaime to be the Queenslayer.

Dr Sanchez

Episode 2 Spoilers*

From the previews it looks like Jaime is put into the cells by Daenerys because he killed her father. So he's in trouble either way.

mothman

Quote from: Action Fish on April 17, 2019, 11:45:31 PM
I found the Night King's redecoration of Last Hearth quite striking. Not sure I'd have gone for Burnt Umber.

Ithangyew

Mate. Did that joke on Twitter days ago. Me and everyone else.

Norton Canes

I hope Jon Snow doesn't upset those dragons or he"ll be... Aegon toast

Twit 2

I would love it - fucking love it if it turns out the entire budget went on the cast and crew going to the pub and the remaining episodes are just a blurry still of a giggling Warwick Davis sitting on a tussock, while the remainder of the plot scrolls past in a gaudy font.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Default to the negative on April 18, 2019, 11:15:33 AM
I did think the Jaime/Bran cliffhanger was interesting. I'm guessing Bran won't be vengeful because he is now on a higher plane where everything was supposed to happen, everything is inevitable, blah blah.

I'm curious about the fact that Bran, as a psychic, knows everything about Jaime's life. He knows Jaime killed the mad king in an act of conscience. He will probably encourage him to do the same again to Daenerys. Get Sam to make Jon accept his heritage, and get Jaime to be the Queenslayer.

I hope so. I can't state enough how much I fucking love Jaime. His character arc in the books and the early seasons is absolutely brilliant I think, going from fucked incest bastard to tortured anti-hero to great bunch of lads. I've been right gutted by the daft neutering of him in the last few seasons - he seemed to perpetually realise for good that Cersei had finally gone too far, only to turn around next episode and crack on fighting for her, not to mention the whole controversy over that weird rape/non-rape scene - so having him ride off last time and turn up now looking like a haunted nightmare monk is brilliant stuff, and I really can't wait to see what ultimate role he'll have to play.

beanheadmcginty

In a programme where it's virtually impossible to remember anybody's name (even after 8 series I can still only remember about six of them at any one time) who thought it was a good idea to have three characters named Bran, Bronn and Brienne?

NoSleep

In the books there there's at least three Bran(don)s (and all Starks), no Bronns (made for TV) and one Brienne.

Kryton

Quote from: NoSleep on April 19, 2019, 11:00:22 AM
In the books there there's at least three Bran(don)s (and all Starks), no Bronns (made for TV) and one Brienne.

Bronn WAS in the books.

https://iceandfire.fandom.com/wiki/Bronn

NoSleep

Oh yeah, they just fleshed him out a bit more in the TV series (for instance that whole Carry On Up Dorne fiasco).

Kryton

Quote from: NoSleep on April 19, 2019, 11:32:25 AM
Oh yeah, they just fleshed him out a bit more in the TV series (for instance that whole Carry On Up Dorne fiasco).

Yeah after he refused to fight for Tyrion against the Mountain he was only ever referenced off-page in the later books if I recall. That said he did spite Cersei by naming his son Tyrion, which was quite funny.

NoSleep

I've just found out that the the red-headed "Eddie" who got his face "burnt right off" and now with "no eyelids" (mentioned in the scene with Bronn and the three women) is a reference to the fate of Ed Sheeran's character.

Kryton

Quote from: NoSleep on April 19, 2019, 12:27:20 PM
I've just found out that the the red-headed "Eddie" who got his face "burnt right off" and now with "no eyelids" (mentioned in the scene with Bronn and the three women) is a reference to the fate of Ed Sheeran's character.

Lovely stuff.

mothman

That just seems a bit crap, crass even. OK, he should never have been in it at all, but it was apparently a birthday present for Maisie Williams by the producers which if true is a bit of a lovely gesture. But then, faced with the backlash from fans (that they should really have expected), they kill him off via sexposition?

BritishHobo

It is a bit have-your-cake-and-eat-it. You wrote, directed, filmed, edited and allowed that scene. You can't turn around and go 'ha ha lol glad that irritating bloke died painfully, right fans?!'

Thursday

If only Maisie Williams didn't have shit taste. Ah well.

NoSleep

I don't remember there being any indication that "Eddie" has died; just horribly injured.

mothman

Metaphorically killed off, I meant. It's not like he's going to appear in a wheelchair played by another actor and using a blinking light to communicate (though he'd still be more articulate than Bran).

If I'd thought about it, I could have had two CaB posts in a row referencing unpopular Simpsons storylines...

Dr Sanchez

Imagine if the closing scenes of the show included a montage of classic scenes with lil Eddie Sheeran's song played over the top?

Some bloopers in the credits would be lovely too.

dallasman

Quote from: BritishHobo on April 19, 2019, 06:06:34 PM
It is a bit have-your-cake-and-eat-it. You wrote, directed, filmed, edited and allowed that scene. You can't turn around and go 'ha ha lol glad that irritating bloke died painfully, right fans?!'

It's equal opportunity fan service, and I for one support it! Not that I have strong feelings about Sheeran personally, but I say if they can do one, they might as well do the other (and we all agree they can do one, amirite?). Also, not sure the same people did all those things, but point taken. God willing, B&W will die in prison.

I'm not sure even sure what I'm "excited" about anymore, plot-wise, but I hope that the remaining Starks (just Sansa, isn't it?), Lannisters and Targaryens are all plotting against one another in surprising, ridiculous and doomed ways. Looking forward to some spectacular battles, certainly. Dragons, dead giants, other dead giant beasts, maybe even a quick direwolf cameo?

And there are the various myths and mysteries, where half the exitement is whether they will be resolved, or ignored altogether. I liked the Night King's art installation, and the possible meanings it might have (wheel? sun? Targaryen?). Much as I hated the zombie army element from the word "eeeccchhhh", I think I'm ready to learn more about the Night King and his whole deal now. Ditto the Three-Eyed Raven and his. If it turns out they're both out to marry into one of those three houses, things could get both stupendously silly and sizzlingly sexy.

And what's up with Varys? Does he still have an old wizard in a box? Who took his junk? Do any of these Red Priestesses know anything? Could Mel's smoke monsters and blood magic actually do something useful now? What if Jon and Dany have full frontal sex in a burning temple, and then the dragons lay some eggs? Could that generate a smoke monster large enough to baffle the IceRion and make it crash on the Iron Islands?

More questions: Can Beric teach others to make flaming swords to supplement their limited reserves of dragonglass, or would that simply be too impractical/far beyond Winterfell's CGI budget? Could Beric's sword in fact be the special MAGIC sword Lightbringer, and he the Azor Ahai of LEGEND? If not, did he steal the SPECIAL SWORD from someone in a Bw/oB cart-jacking? Or will he just be picked off in a battle, eulogized for eleven seconds and forgotten? Someone probably dies in the next ep, so why not him? As the hokeyness piles up, we don't really need his accent and eye patch, that's my HOT TAKE. Unless - as I said - he is the magical MESSIAH MAN, wielding the BOSS of swords.

Yeah, there's lots to get excited about, really. As long as it all turns out well written and very good. You gotta stay hopeful. If it gets no worse than the first episode, I'm not going to feel too much of a chump for seeing it through.

Dr Sanchez

Quote from: dallasman on April 19, 2019, 11:57:20 PM

Yeah, there's lots to get excited about, really. As long as it all turns out well written and very good. You gotta stay hopeful. If it gets no worse than the first episode, I'm not going to feel too much of a chump for seeing it through.

Are you aware of the theory that Littlefinger is still alive? It's very plausible and would play out fantastically if true but I very much doubt the writers would allow such a spanner to be thrown in the works because your average fan might think it's a cop out or stupid.

I personally loved Littlefinger because he was always one step ahead and his character was so cunning, dark and fantastically evil. The way he bowed out was very unlike him.

Anyway, here's the theory.

https://youtu.be/XdLletjWIew

Mr Farenheit

There's also the possibility that the Night King can bring anyone back to 'life'. Now he's on his way to winterfell he could do worse than dig up a few thousand professional soldiers from the Battle of the Bastards. He could resurrect Ramsey and we can have another reunion scene with him and Theon. That'd be nice.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: BritishHobo on April 19, 2019, 06:06:34 PM

Yeah, it's like when Go Compare did that run of adverts about how everyone hates the opera singer man. Own it, you cowards.

Head Gardener

dallasman

Quote from: Dr Sanchez on April 20, 2019, 12:32:11 AM
Are you aware of the theory that Littlefinger is still alive? It's very plausible and would play out fantastically if true but I very much doubt the writers would allow such a spanner to be thrown in the works because your average fan might think it's a cop out or stupid.

I personally loved Littlefinger because he was always one step ahead and his character was so cunning, dark and fantastically evil. The way he bowed out was very unlike him.

Anyway, here's the theory.

https://youtu.be/XdLletjWIew

Not heard the theory before, but I would love to give LF a Mulligan, and this is the kind of thing that keeps the plot halfway interesting. It makes sense that he could pull off a trick like that, with his talents and connections. I'm less sure that Arya would be fooled, but it's not unthinkable. She might even have assisted, for some mysterious reason.

NoSleep

Quote from: dallasman on April 20, 2019, 12:31:25 PM
Not heard the theory before, but I would love to give LF a Mulligan, and this is the kind of thing that keeps the plot halfway interesting. It makes sense that he could pull off a trick like that, with his talents and connections. I'm less sure that Arya would be fooled, but it's not unthinkable. She might even have assisted, for some mysterious reason.

She might not be Arya. (EDIT: not really; although Sansa might not be who she seems)

Golden E. Pump

The Littlefinger plot was so botched the only way they can redeem themselves is if it was part of his master plan. It makes no sense for the most cunning character in the show to just hang about winding people up until they offed  him.

Likewise there is nothing for Dany to do unless she goes full Mad Queen and tries to challenge Jon for the throne.

I don't think that the show writers are capable of these kinds of twists, so we'll just get a standard war against the Night King and a final stand against Cersei with the remaining characters.