Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:30:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Game Of Thrones Season 8

Started by Dog Botherer, January 15, 2019, 06:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

It'll turn out to be the Lost island, which is really in Westworld

Being run by Rik Waller

BritishHobo

I guess the problem with shows like Lost and Game of Thrones is that they're shows of the moment, leaving everyone talking and theorising and wanting things to go a certain way. They ought to just stop making them right before their final seasons and pretend they got cancelled. Anything else will end up disappointing most people.

I'm rewatching season 6 for the first time, doing what I'd done every year before that - an episode, then the episode with commentary, then the next episode - and even though it was starting to pull things together after slow-going in season 5, I'm still feeling the strain of the lengthy storylines. Arya's bullshit blind beggar adventures, Daenerys twatting about with the Dothraki. IIRC it picks up a lot of steam by the end and proper levels off again in season 7. I remember finding it odd that they had some perfect opportunities to lose characters who didn't need to be around anymore - Bronn in the fight with the dragon, most of the gang who went up to catch a white walker - but seemed really afraid to do so.

It'll just be interesting to see, if we ever actually do, how close this comes to GRRM's ideas. We've all heard the stories about him welcoming the team into his mansion to share the end of the story with them, but how true that is, how much he showed them, how their interpretations of that stuff has differed, is all up in the air.

chveik

ffs stop comparing Lost and Game of Thrones

NoSleep

chveik

Bazooka

My biggest grievance with Lost was the background characters who somehow can't be arsed to be be a part of all the shit going down, The Walking Dead excels at this.

mjwilson

Leave Nikki and Paolo out of this.

BritishHobo

The commentaries on season 6 are quite awkward. They always used to pair up actors who worked together a lot in the show or knew each other well, but it feels more random and thrown together on this one. The highlight is episode 2 where you've got Davos, ginger wildling, Jon's mate from the wall, Ramsay and Roose Bolton, all having a laugh watching the episode. But there's a later one where the episode's director keeps dropping little facts about shooting, to kickstart conversation, but the actors are giving him nothing. Just dead, awkward silence.

BritishHobo

Season 7 gets by massively on reunions, I think. It's also properly fucking funny, which helps get through some of the daft plotting. But the reunions carry it. It's hard to fuck up all these characters coming back together, and each episode has a good few of those moments. It's going to be interesting to see how season 8 does in tying everything up now all of that is out of the way.

Almost no cast on the commentaries either. Which is nice to be fair because it does give more time to the production team and crew.

Thomas

Ed Sheeran's glance-to-camera cameo, and what it represented, almost sank the whole series. There are famous faces throughout the cast, of course, but the show has never acknowledged that. They are just the faces of the people in this faraway, impossible world. Any of them might be torn off or eaten at a moment's notice.

With Ed Sheeran, though, the camera lingered knowingly, and he was given a meta quip, and the edifice lurched. The show virtually said aloud, 'this is a popular TV series being broadcast in the year 2017'. Prior to that, it had done a fantastic job of immersing me in a quasi-medieval plane. There's a load of social media insta-guff around the show, but it had always retained integrity in that time between the opening theme and the closing credits.

Hopefully Ed sinks into obscurity and his appearance develops a strange, ephemeral vibe in keeping with the world of the show.

mjwilson

Quote from: Thomas on February 10, 2019, 04:30:16 PM
Ed Sheeran's glance-to-camera cameo, and what it represented, almost sank the whole series. There are famous faces throughout the cast, of course, but the show has never acknowledged that. They are just the faces of the people in this faraway, impossible world. Any of them might be torn off or eaten at a moment's notice.

With Ed Sheeran, though, the camera lingered knowingly, and he was given a meta quip, and the edifice lurched. The show virtually said aloud, 'this is a popular TV series being broadcast in the year 2017'. Prior to that, it had done a fantastic job of immersing me in a quasi-medieval plane. There's a load of social media insta-guff around the show, but it had always retained integrity in that time between the opening theme and the closing credits.

It's not quite the same but I hated CJ being in the last season of Lost. She's just too CJ you know? She can't be in ancient times with a terrible attempt at pronouncing Latin, she's the press secretary.

mothman

The A-Team survived Boy George...

garnish

Quote from: Thomas on February 10, 2019, 04:30:16 PM

Hopefully Ed sinks into obscurity and his appearance develops a strange, ephemeral vibe in keeping with the world of the show.

The biggest sin of his cameo was that it dangled the prospect of seeing him killed in some horrifically over-the-top gory manner.  Blue balls for audiences everywhere that evening.

the ed sheeran bit was full on 'when the whistle blows' in Extras style.

Thomas Thurgoose was a fairly well known face for a cameo for that scene as well, just explicitly explaining to Arya and the audience who the real victims of all the war mongering are. But it says something that in a world were incest, three eyed ravens, tree people, giants, dragons, blood magic, etc etc and its an awful cameo that makes you step back and no longer be 'in the moment' with the tv show.

The only person who enjoyed that cameo was Ed Sheeran - added nothing for anyone else

Mobius

Yeah exactly. Apparently he's a fan of the show! Me too, can I bet in it? What, I'm not already a billionaire famous musician so I have to earn it the old fashioned way?

Cunt taking a role off someone else

Custard

It all would've been saved if he'd got a big sword up his face or knob. Or both, if they're taking requests

It's true though. It's like if George Michael suddenly turned up in Threads. But with a million percent more talent. He could have been the weeing woman

Spoon of Ploff

The advantage of living in a cultural vacuum is that I had only the vaguest idea who Ed Sheeran, and no idea what he looked like. So this was just a scene where Arya chose not to slaughter some mediocre actors I didn't recognize.

mothman

It was something like an 18th birthday present from the producers for Maisie Williams, or whatever. So now I'm hoping somebody like, I dunno, Jerome Flynn might be game, tells them it's his birthday and he really likes Gary Glitter, and counts on Benioff & Weiss not knowing who he is (or rather what he's done).

NoSleep

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on February 22, 2019, 08:17:02 AM
The advantage of living in a cultural vacuum is that I had only the vaguest idea who Ed Sheeran, and no idea what he looked like. So this was just a scene where Arya chose not to slaughter some mediocre actors I didn't recognize.

I didn't know who it was, either. Just knew something wasn't right about that scene.

Sherman Krank

Quote from: mjwilson on February 10, 2019, 07:16:58 PM
It's not quite the same but I hated CJ being in the last season of Lost.
'I didn't get where I am today by being dead the whole time.'

mjwilson

they weren't dead the whole time

Twit 2

mothman

Dead soon (2011 edition) - Emilia Clarke. At some point if I ever rewatch s2/3/4 I'll have to look for any signs she was between TWO brain aneurysms...

Gulftastic

I hope shit Eddie Izzard dies quickly.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Gulftastic on April 14, 2019, 05:44:03 PM

i hope the zombie giant sits on him then takes a massive zombie shit on the cunt

mjwilson

Quote from: Gulftastic on April 14, 2019, 05:44:03 PM

He died last season,  unless I don't know who you mean of course

BritishHobo

If I was George R R Martin this is exactly when I'd reveal that books six and seven are now available on Kindle.

Gulftastic

Quote from: mjwilson on April 14, 2019, 07:40:24 PM
He died last season,  unless I don't know who you mean of course

I meant shitty sea captain Euron. Who did you think I meant?