Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:30:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Game Of Thrones Season 8

Started by Dog Botherer, January 15, 2019, 06:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjwilson

Oh sorry. Thoros of Myr. I don't know what it says about me that that was who I thought of.

Bingo Fury

Quote from: Gulftastic on April 14, 2019, 08:22:06 PM
I meant shitty sea captain Euron. Who did you think I meant?

He's always been shit John Thomson to me.

Dex Sawash

New annoyingly over-long intro. Nothing else of note. 6/10

BritishHobo

Weird awkward vibe to a lot of them reunions. I guess it's not in happy circumstances though. Lot of set-up, hopefully it'll be kicking straight off from next week, mad to think there's only five episodes left.

Chollis

Quote from: BritishHobo on April 15, 2019, 06:25:42 AM
mad to think there's only five episodes left.

what

they're all only an hour too?

Moribunderast

Camera panning to slowly reveal STARING BRAN is the funniest recurring joke I've seen in a comedy in ages.

Pijlstaart

Sure I used to be able to put a spoilers filter on this. Text in white then. Episode one- Thoughts:
Puberty has not been good to Bran. My god. Aids Ringo is a good descriptor. When Jon say's he's a man and he shoots back "almost" like it's something to be proud of, whatever he is now. Not a man, but a nuisance. Hodor killer, smirking little git, if Jaime tips him out of his wheelchair as a cold open for episode 2, I'll die a happy man. Bet they regret casting him now. Current stock of child actors are pretty dismal, but none can match Bran's wooden delivery. Dreadful, and he'll be the cause celebre spurring increased anti-disabled hatred, dehumanising all people in wheelchairs as being boring, "almost"-human others. Hope there's a white walker carrying around the reanimated shreds of hodor in a big pot and he tips it on bran.

Gormlessly looking at tyrion, and then spam, and then jaime. Beyond redemption.

20 minute dragon scene, imagine the cost of that. Dragon budget, animating a pervert dragon johnson schlicking out of it's cloaca as mamaji gets pumped by big rough jon in the snow. Fucking disgusting, animators, they're deviants and what they do will never be considered art. 20 minutes for that, and utterly eclipsed by a cheap-as-chips varys-tyrion bantathon. Don't give a shit about dragons. Just have a rubber puppet coming in from the side of the screen, that's all we need.

Arya a randy little sow for gendry, but lets hope that doesn't pan out. She's not marriage material. Does a great hammering, gendry, hammerer, skilled labour, lower-middle class. A nice normal man, so lets hope he fobs her off and marries a nice normal girl who doesn't stab people.

Qyburn good as always.

Nice bit of body horror in the last hearth, wonder if the white walkers make their collages themselves or if they have their little corpse chums help them out. Multiple drafts too, would a thigh go better here, or a scapula, there'd be a process to it and I imagine it could even be charming. I remember they did one with horses earlier, and that would've taken time, when damien hirst did his formaldehyde cow stuff, he had to use pulleys and machines.

For an hour in which very little happened, I liked it.

BritishHobo

God I've missed your Game of Thrones thoughts.

Sam with his little quivering lip is the saddest sight I ever saw. Apart from that, it did feel like a bit of a half-arsed bottle episode, everyone just sort of milling around with no urgency. Thank God for Jamie quite fucking blatantly the show's best character, turning up and selling so much with a single look. Lovely way to start of the final season, him seeing the consequences of what he did way back in episode 1. Very excited to see the warm welcome he'll no doubt receive.

Euron grew on me a lot this episode. He's not changed at all, but I think they've put him in a situation where his TOP BANTS shit actually works really well. It's a fun way to show how dire Cersei's situation is; he's so unrealistically awful that nobody would ever let him get away with it - but she has to. She has to suffer the indignity of pretending she doesn't think he's an enormous bell.

The sudden Theon rescue was daft - why didn't he just save her last season? - but I did like Yara and Euron on the boat, and Yara telling him he'd backed the wrong side. That felt like quite a nice, quietly powerful moment, unlike much of the forced snappy comebacks flying around at Winterfell.

Kryton

Bored of the dick jokes and dwarf jokes. Did we really need 20 minutes of dicking about on dragons just to have sex near a waterfall? Some incredibly shitty dialogue.

Really enjoyed Sam guilt-tripping Danaerys though, so I hope when next week she's having a pop at Jaime for killing her father the mad King, I hope Sam says something like 'fuck off'.

Put me down as another who laughed and enjoyed the Bran in the wheelchair scene waiting for Jaime.

I also enjoyed the parallel of the approaching royals to Winterfell which mirrored the first episode of season 1. Nice little touch.

Loved the dead kid scene, nice bit of horror there.

Apart from that, thoroughly underwhelming. Absolutely no sign of his wolf either, did the writers forget Jon has a wolf? Or did they spend all the CGI on the dragons?

Can't they just film a normal wolf, but a bit closer in?

Clive Langham

What's all this "she's the smartest person I've ever met" shit about Sansa?

Dex Sawash

"gods damn I hate that bitch"

Piggyoioi

Quote from: Clive Langham on April 15, 2019, 04:50:28 PM

Dumb line that made little sense. Remember how smart she was to not tell Jon that she called in the Knights of the Vale before he and his men were sure to be slaughtered? In a way its hard to judge the characters for these flaws since its the writers pushing plot above character, hoping we're dumb enough to be caught in the momentum.

Really struggling to care about most of the characters anymore, seems like everyone has had the life drained out of them the closer they orbit Daenerys' (consistently dull) plot.

All I could think about during the overlong dragon flybys was both how much of the budget it devoured and how long the underpaid animators spent hunched over a computer screen to render something so pointless.

Theron freeing Yara seemed really unbelievable and I was left wondering why I'd had to sit through last years shit Iron Islands plot lines only for them to basically be at the same position (both thematically and character wise) they were at in the start of season 7.

Best part was the last shot of Jamie.

Clive Langham

I would have understood it if she'd said "the most loyal person I've ever met" or "the bravest person I've ever met" or even "the most loving person I've ever met" since (arguably) Sansa's travails have helped her grow in these ways, but the idea that she's suddenly gained 20 IQ points is baffling, particularly as there's been little-to-no evidence of this in the previous seven seasons.

Twit 2

Boring shit, 3/10.

Jon/Sam only good scene.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Bingo Fury on April 14, 2019, 10:05:20 PM
He's always been shit John Thomson to me.

He's shit Pacey from Dawson's Creek to me, but despite my best attempts last season that just won't catch on.

Add me to the underwhelmed bunch, I remember reading that each episode was supposed to be crazily cinematic and amazing now they were down to so few that wasn't the case with this one. The reunions were nice enough and there was the occasional bit of fun dialogue but most of the time it was too pofaced, I kept on expecting a major twist or a big fuck off battle scene but neither came. Still, only five to go now and after all the scene setting of this episode hopefully the rest will be ridiculously stupid fun.

MiddleRabbit

That was my gripe with it too.  At what point did Sansa stop being a smug, entitled, sulky wet flannel whose prime concern was fulfilling her fairytale fantasies?  Telling and not showing at its most desperate.

Same thing for her burn towards Tyrion, "I used to think you were he cleverest person in the world."

I never got the impression that she was impressed by him in any way, apart from possibly being kinder to her than she expected, which also wasn't terribly 'clever' on his part as it did him no favours.  In fairness, he's not been right about very much since he shot Tywin so perhaps all that drinking' snot really helping.

Sansa's cleverness appears to be restricted to thinking everyone else is an arsehole and telling other characters that.  Often she's right, but most of the characters are arseholes in one way or another, aren't they?  Telling Jon that Ramsey was a manipulative arsehole, being wary of Littlefinger (eventually), not liking Danaerys...

Sending that kid back to Last Hearth on his lonesome wasn't very clever, was it?

Other than that, I thought it was alright.  Still mainly setting everything up despite spending most of last season doing the same thing.  It was a bit soap opera-esque in that way.

Finally, Arya's going down in my estimation a bit as well.  She used to be one of my favourites but she recently appears to have been infected with the same issue that Sansa's always had - looking enormously impressed with herself at every opportunity. 

rjd2

That Euron bloke is actually a good actor isn't he? Horrible in this though.

NoSleep

Sansa'a now the Carol Vorderman of GoT.

Mr Eggs

Stannis rides in on Ed Sheeren and fucks a dragon in ep.3.

Thursday

For some reason, I thought I'd read that all 6 episodes would be 90 minutes, so that wasn't quite what I was expecting, but it was fine.

It's weird though, it feels like there's so much left to explore here, but at this point there's just not much time left for it to do anything more interesting than build up to a big battle.

mjwilson

I guess, being generous, it's a reference to outwitting Littlefinger last season, but it does seem a bit much.

NoSleep

I reckon she is Littlefinger (and he's a faceless one). That would make sense of her stirring shit with the bitchy whining.

Thursday

Arya hasn't met that many smart people.

NoSleep

Quote from: Thursday on April 15, 2019, 06:43:50 PM
Arya hasn't met that many smart people.

Just a few cunts who name their swords.

beanheadmcginty

I honestly can't think of any other programme that has such vast chasms in acting abilities between major characters. On the one hand we've had the likes of Charles Dance, Diana Rigg and Jonathan Pryce absolutely smashing it out of the park and then on the other we've witnessed that crippled psychic lad and blonde dragon bird barely able to show any form of emotion whatsoever.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Mr Eggs on April 15, 2019, 05:53:22 PM
Stannis rides in on Ed Sheeren and fucks a dragon in ep.3.

I fucking told yous.