Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:13:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Game Of Thrones Season 8

Started by Dog Botherer, January 15, 2019, 06:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

græskar

Unwatchable dross. Literally struggling to get past the 15min mark, maybe I'll finish it later. One might say, it's the first episode, lots of loose ends to tie up, give it time to develop. But the show has exhausted my supplies of goodwill around season 6, not willing to give it any more benefit of the doubt, it's just crap.

Hat FM

Not particularly interesting.

apparently those whores with bronn were talking about Ed Sheeran's character cos little dickhead kids were speculating if he had died or not. Horrific fan service. Although hearing about Ed Sheeran's character getting his face burnt off did make me smile briefly.Vocal chords first i hope.  Seems like it isnt all doom this season.

Mr. Internet

The dialogue is making me sad inside.

Mr. Internet

(Start scene)

"My lady, I'm afraid I have some terrible news. The dead have broken through the wall."

"Good."

(End scene)

Mr. Internet

"We can stay here for years and no one can find us."

"We'd be pretty old. It's cold up here for a southern girl."

"So keep your queen warm."

It's so basic and awful.

Twit 2

It really is joyless shit, plots moving around with all the subtlety of Richard Herring playing himself at snooker.

Mobius

Yeah sadly I have to agree.

The dialogue was piss poor

Far too many reunions.

Dany/Jon Disney shit was atrocious

CGI was well ropey

Nowt really happened did it.

Kryton

Shit dialogue aside, I'm curious as to what Bronn will do in regards to him being ordered by the Queen via Qyburn to kill Jaime and Tyrion with Joffrey's crossbow. Do you reckon he'll go through with it? That scene was at least a bit of interesting drama if all the rest was a bit shite.

Mr. Internet

Quote from: Mobius on April 15, 2019, 11:55:21 PMThe dialogue was piss poor

I don't mean to say the pre-season 5 dialogue was never embarrassing, and wasn't occasionally portentous, but at least on the whole it was great fun. Often memorable and had a good deal of gravitas with the right actor.

This is sorely missing Charles Dance (and a couple of others I could mention).

In a way, it's missing Peter Dinklage too.

Dr Sanchez

*Episode One Spoilers

I was really looking forward to this. I even lit an extra candle to make the room seem more medieval.

Good stuff.

The Hound being reassuring cunty.

Jamie's brief appearance.

Bronn's dilemma.

Brann being weird, which wasn't intentionally hilarious I'm sure.

The scene with the child on fire.

The Bad.

Arya's smug moonface. Crap flirting with Gendry and overall wooden acting from Maisie Williams.

Sansa being generally hateful.

Jon's reaction to Sam's revelation. Kit Harrington will go straight to DVD after GOT.

The awfully misjudged and stupid looking joint dragon ride with Jon and Kaleesi.

Tyrian isn't the character he used to be. Remember the funny, smart fucker who could steal a scene with a grin? He's been replaced by a worried looking bearded bore.

All in all it was a letdown and has really dampened my hope for a classic series.

Kryton

Anyone else think the CGI quality looked more erm... plastic this time around? Considering it's been largely decent in previous seasons? The shot of Winterfell looked fake as did the dragon flight.

Chollis

Dr Sanchez

Quote from: Kryton on April 16, 2019, 01:22:39 AM
Anyone else think the CGI quality looked more erm... plastic this time around? Considering it's been largely decent in previous seasons? The shot of Winterfell looked fake as did the dragon flight.

The CGI is patchy alright. I was watching some older episodes last week and noticed some fairly poor CGi on second viewing. Maybe our eyes are catching up with whatever technology they're using?

In other news.

"The 'Game of Thrones' Season 8 Premiere Finally Acknowledges Sansa Stark's Quiet Brilliance"

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-1-winterfell-sansa-tyrion-review-1203189945/

Yeah, quiet is one word for it. Non existent is another.

Mr Farenheit

I didn't like the way that dragon was looking at Jon and Dany, the dirty bollocks. And Jon staring back at him through the whole thing probably. Disgusting.

This is the start of a slippery slope for the Dirty Dragon and wars have been lost for less.

Snow is not the best weather for this kind of hobby which means he'll have to go south to get his jollies. So where is the Livings' top military asset going to be when the Night King hits Winterfell? Deep into the dogging scene in the car parks around Kings Landing.

BritishHobo

I've always said the one thing you shouldn't be able to fuck up is reunions, because there should be enough residual love for the characters to carry the scene. So it doesn't look amazing that so much of this episode was stilted. Jon and Arya reuniting was proper awkward.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Mr. Internet on April 15, 2019, 11:20:34 PM
"We can stay here for years and no one can find us."

"We'd be pretty old. It's cold up here for a southern girl."

"So keep your queen warm."

It's so basic and awful.

Also this just made me think of Ygritte and the beautiful moment in the battle of the wall when she said that they should have just stayed in that cave beyond the wall. This one didn't work as well.

Josef K

Anyone spot Mac from Always Sunny's cameo as one of the lads on the boat that gets an arrow through the eye?

Custard

No, but it suddenly makes that scene ten times funnier. Would've been better with Sweet Dee, mind

This wasn't very good, was it? Quite disappointing, honestly

Shit dialogue, clearly rushed CGI, no one really being the characters they were previously. Even Bronn. He would have fucked all three before getting up to put his coat on

Brann is amazingly bad. He can't even sit and stare at people without being wooden. Which is a real feat

Euron is embarrassingly awful. "I'm off to fuck the queen"

Tyrion is the one with his balls lopped off, not the eunuch.

If the end scene is Dragon Tits about to take the throne, and Sam doing her in with a blade to the face, this will all be saved

And 53 minutes? Are they taking the piss?

Clive Langham

Quote from: Chollis on April 16, 2019, 01:25:53 AM
I miss Charles Dance

Yeah, me too. It was a mistake to kill off all the older characters, AKA the best actors.

What I wouldn't give to still have Diana Rigg around quipping.

Hank Venture

Jon and Dany are pretty bad, arent they? And Euron doesnt have the gravitas his character requires. Its odd that the best actors are all in smaller roles - Cerseis Maester, Charles Dance, Beric Dondarrion. The younger actors havent got the stage presence that comes with years of dramatic stage theatre, I imagine, but the show is starting to suffer because of it.

Also, if its really silly that Tyrion apparently has started taking Cersei at her word.

Clive Langham

Well there used to be a mix – old  "done the RSC for twenty years" luvvies with great screen presence like Dance, Rigg, Iain Glen, Stephen Dillane, and Julian Glover, middle-aged pros who had done a million movies and TV shows (Sean Bean, Lena Headey, Mark Addy, Michelle Fairley, Dinklage, Conleth Hill, Liam Cunningham, Coster-Waldau etc.) and the new lot (Harington, Allen, Turner, Clarke, Dormer et al) all of whom lacked technique and/or presence to one degree or another, and some of whom were actively bad. But it worked – the old and middle-aged pros did the heavy lifting, and the others filled in the gaps. It didn't matter that Emilia Clarke was wooden because you had a fantastic scene with Dance and Rigg coming up; and the good actors made the bad ones better (Maisie Williams could hold her own in a scene with Dance because his acting rubbed off on her.)
Now all the old luvvies have been (for the most part) killed off, and so have most of the middle-aged pros, and the young 'uns just can't keep the edifice up on their own. You've got a scene with Harington, Turner, and Clarke – and it's just a vacuum. There's nothing going on.

Clive Langham

I can sort of accept Tyrion taking Cersei at her word because the stakes are so high. It's the equivalent of Churchill taking Hitler at his word had the earth been invaded by aliens in 1943 - he wouldn't really have had an alternative.

Kryton

I think someone on this forum once said that Euron can be appreciated a little bit more if you just imagine him as Pop from The League of Gentlemen.

NoSleep

Quote from: Clive Langham on April 16, 2019, 11:49:08 AM
I can sort of accept Tyrion taking Cersei at her word because the stakes are so high. It's the equivalent of Churchill taking Hitler at his word had the earth been invaded by aliens in 1943 - he wouldn't really have had an alternative.

Which reminds me; well and good focusing on the meeting of Bran & Jaime, but we'll be having the reunion of Tyrion & Jaime (who's promised to kill Tyrion) soon enough. Doesn't matter how well they try to act that one out, it'll be lacking any GRRM one-liners of note. Peter Dinklage is fully aware that he's not delivering GRRM barbs anymore and doesn't even try to hide his contempt; I suppose that's a sign of his acting ability.
Can't wait to see the sudden awkwardness between Auntie Daenerys & her nephew Jon now that he's party to the facts (and probably will keep it to himself for now). Great opportunity for some acting there.

Custard

All the talk of what man or what woman will end up sitting on the throne seems a bit silly anyway, as it's a big ol chair, and I reckon you could fit at least two or three bums on it

Dex Sawash

I Imagine Jamie's golden hand has a part to play this season. He'll jam it in a dyke or the night king, or?

Mister Six

Maybe it's just that last season killed all expectations that this would ever be good, or maybe I'm subconsciously stirring up some goodwill because it's all ending soon, but I was actually really pleased with this.

Yeah, there was some pointless shit like the dragons, but there was good in there too: Properly funny little comedy bit with Bronn followed by a vaguely intriguing plot (although given that Cersei has paid upfront, the only concern for him should be trying to figure out whether she's the one to bet on, or the woman with two dragons, Dothraki, Unsullied etc etc); Sam telling Jon about his heritage was great, and even Harrington put in a decent performance there; lots of nice little reunions; and as mentioned above, while Euron remains shit and cringey, making Cersei endure him is a good way to utilise that.

Even the stuff that was "bad" was really just a little bit stilted and slow. I was aware that the episode seemed to be taking ages to end despite being only 50 minutes long, which is a sign that the pacing was off, but GoT traditionally opens with a slow scene-setter, and honestly I'd forgotten where everyone was after a year gap, so it didn't bother me overmuch.

Plus, after the breathless "this happened, and then this, and then THIS" pacing of last year, where every episode felt like a recreation of a Wikipedia summary rather than the beautifully characterised, intricately plotted episodes of yore, I was quite happy for the breather.

Sadly with only five (!) episodes left, I can't see this holding out, not can I see the various extant character threads resolving satisfactorily. They should have knocked off more characters last season, because right now there's way too much to get through.

Gulftastic

If I've got my sums right, the finale will air on Spring Bank Monday morning.

After getting up at daft o'clock for the Lost one, I'm not risking it again.

phantom_power

I thought this was a good table-setter for the coming season, getting people into position and showing past friendships and enmities in a reasonably brisk manner. The dialogue was fine, a couple of clunkers aside, and it his pushed everything considerably forward from the end of last season. Jon knowing his true heritage will put the shitters on everything, and Jamie being at Kings Landing will go down pretty badly for a number of people. Hopefully it will be more dynamic from this point on though with so few episodes left

AsparagusTrevor

I liked how the main issue with the Jon/Aegon thing was that he's true heir rather than the fact he's fucked his auntie. Hopefully next episode there will be some awkward incest talk.