Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:03:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow

Started by Blinder Data, January 15, 2019, 11:53:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinder Data

New album out now from everyone's favourite depressed female minstrel

TBH I haven't caught up with her for a while (I'd assumed she's gone a bit rocky for my liking). But had a relisten of Epic and Tramp and it's all great stuff - though I'm slightly distracted by the fact every song on Tramp sounds like it could be/has been played over the final credits of every season finale of every HBO drama.

She's playing near me but it's sold out already :(

I'm sure there were some fans of her on here last time I checked...

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I am one fan. Sort of. I loved both Epic and Tramp, but I've never got around to Because I Was in Love and Are We There.

I heard the comeback single, appropriately titled Comeback Kid and, sadly, wasn't all that impressed by it. It sounds like she's gone a bit Springsteen, which isn't inherently bad, I just didn't care for that one song. Marc Riley played another new one recently, which I liked a good deal more.

Quote from: Blinder Data on January 15, 2019, 11:53:09 AM
I'm slightly distracted by the fact every song on Tramp sounds like it could be/has been played over the final credits of every season finale of every HBO drama.
Tee hee. Not HBO, but I think they did use Serpents in an episode of The Walking Dead.

Morrison Lard

Love her so much I made the bold decision last year to make her my profile pic.
Lucky lady.

That album in the middle has a bonus 7" which is one of the toughest, thickest pieces of vinyl I own,
it's like a bloody stihl saw blade.

Not heard any of her new album except "Comeback Kid", which I didn't like at first, but now I think it's fucking great.
Looking forward to hearing it on Friday.

Don't think I'll bother seeing her on this UK tour, didn't clock that it was even happening until it was all sold out.

Heather Woods Broderick is the lass who is part of her live band, and she is pretty damn good in her own right.
"Glider" is a good album, very Cocteaus.

Quote from: Morrison Lard on January 15, 2019, 02:10:14 PM
Heather Woods Broderick is the lass who is part of her live band, and she is pretty damn good in her own right.
She does have a lovely voice but, when I saw them on tour in 2012, I was a bit annoyed that she was singing over Van Etten much of the time.

QDRPHNC

Tramp is/was fantastic, but she didn't sustain that quality over her next couple of releases, I reckon.

Hat FM

i loved 'are we there'. bit surprised by people's indifference to it. 'Our love' is just an incredible song.

The new album is a lot more upbeat apparently. think she wanted to avoid using guitars so much.

can't wait to hear it anyway.

This is particularly good. www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4etGf2PJcA

I like the move to synths. My copy of Tramp came with a bonus CD of four synthy numbers. They were a little rough around the edges, but I thought at the time it would be a good direction for her to take.

Morrison Lard

Quote from: Hat FM on January 17, 2019, 11:23:57 AM
i loved 'are we there'. bit surprised by people's indifference to it.
Yeah, it's great, not one duff track.
The EP she did with the leftovers of the "Are We There" sessions is cracking too.

Hat FM

Quote from: Morrison Lard on January 17, 2019, 10:00:06 PM
Yeah, it's great, not one duff track.
The EP she did with the leftovers of the "Are We There" sessions is cracking too.

I don't want to let you down? yeah lovely stuff.

Crabwalk

Enjoyed my first listen - her songwriting chops remain. John Congleton's production is all over it. Very reminiscent of his work with St Vincent.

I finally got this the other day. I tried getting it at HMV, but they hadn't got any new stock in since going into administration. I'm still at the stage in which the new tunes are just kind of washing over me (which isn't helped by having all the singles clumped together) but it's all very promising so far. I've completely changed my opinion of Comeback Kid in just a couple of listens.