Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:03:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)

Started by surreal, January 15, 2019, 02:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surreal

Couldn't see a thread for this so I figured I'd start one for the new trailer launch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYYtuKyMtY8

Looks like fun so far, couple of surprises in there too...

wooders1978

Not a big follower of the comics - who are basically all of those people?
Know aunt may and "spidey" from the first one
Also guess this predates infinity war?

surreal

Apparently set after Infinity War is done with, no way around the potential spoilers in the trailer I guess

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

First Homecoming, then Far from Home, what will they call the third film? Homepride?
They really seem determined not to have Spidey webbing around Manhattan.

Mister Six

Quote from: wooders1978 on January 15, 2019, 02:56:20 PM

Jake Gylenhall appears to be playing Mysterio, a baddie who uses illusions to commit crimes. Sam Jackson is reprising his role as super-spy hero Nick Fury. There are a few elemental type baddies in the comics so it's not clear who dust/water monster is.

Anyway it looks all right, but I rather liked the small stakes of Homecoming. It was nice to have a street-level hero after a decade or so of increasingly overblown threats. We'll see though. Hope Martin Starr and Hannibal Buress come back.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: wooders1978 on January 15, 2019, 02:56:20 PM
Know aunt may and "spidey" from the first one
Also guess this predates infinity war?
In addition to what Mr Six sez:

- the guy chatting up Aunt May is Happy Hogan, Tony Stark's driver/dogsbody.
- the girl Peter Parker has a thing for is MJ, but not Mary Jane Watson (obviously)
- Chubby best friend is Ned.
- kid at the end praising Spider-Man, slagging Peter is Flash Thompson (perhaps expy)
- other villains appear to be Sandman and Hydroman?

Presumably Mysterio is really behind all the various antics to try to make out he's a hero of some kind? All leading up to being foiled by Spider-Man and his public face/heel turn.

Obel

I mean I knew Spidey wouldn't be dead permanently. But how spoilery would you say this trailer is? I'm not keeping on top of Endgame news so I don't want to get too spoiled if i watch this.

pls advise

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Obel on January 15, 2019, 04:33:05 PM
I mean I knew Spidey wouldn't be dead permanently. But how spoilery would you say this trailer is? I'm not keeping on top of Endgame news so I don't want to get too spoiled if i watch this.

pls advise
There's pretty much zero reference to what happened in Infinity War, at least that I could make out. Others may have spotted stuff, though!

Mister Six

Quote from: Obel on January 15, 2019, 04:33:05 PM

pls advise

Other than Spider-Man and one other character surviving Infinity War's ending (neither of which is a surprise of course), that's it. No details on what may occur in Endgame.

Head Gardener

I thought Jake was playing The Prince of Persia when I first saw this, I am unfamiliar with Mysterio

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Head Gardener on January 15, 2019, 04:49:35 PM
I thought Jake was playing The Prince of Persia when I first saw this, I am unfamiliar with Mysterio
In the comics, at least, I seem to recall he was a special-effects whizz in the film biz until one of his stunts went horribly wrong. Spider-Man saved the day and apprehended Mysterio (or whatever his real name is). Thus, he turned to a life of crime and, naturally, blamed the wall-crawler for ruining his career.

Quote from: Mister Six on January 15, 2019, 04:24:54 PM
Anyway it looks all right, but I rather liked the small stakes of Homecoming. It was nice to have a street-level hero after a decade or so of increasingly overblown threats.
I thought the same thing initially, but then we don't really know what the stakes are. Homecoming still had the Washington Monument blowing up and whatnot. Mysterio is all about creating spectacle, but his scheme might amount to no more than pulling a heist or something. I'd be very surprised if the Sand/Hydromans weren't tricks illusions he's devised.

Head Gardener

wasn't there a sand monster/man in Spiderman 3? and that was rrrrubbish

Mister Six

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 15, 2019, 05:00:36 PM
I thought the same thing initially, but then we don't really know what the stakes are. Homecoming still had the Washington Monument blowing up and whatnot. Mysterio is all about creating spectacle, but his scheme might amount to no more than pulling a heist or something. I'd be very surprised if the Sand/Hydromans weren't tricks illusions he's devised.

Aye, I suppose you're right. They are at least continuing the teen drama elements, which I enjoyed before - again, because it's a step apart from the usual MCU fare.

wooders1978

The fact it's set after endgame and Spider-Man is alive and so are all his pals feels spoilery to me

Shit Good Nose

As some of you know I'm LONG bored with it all now so who the fuck really cares, BUT benefit of the doubt and all that - flashbacks/jumping around in different timelines.

Dare I even suggest time travel, which some of you laughed off like I was a cunt when I predicted a crossover with the X-Men universe a year or two ago...

colacentral

Time travel has always been the most popular theory, by far. It's Hugh Jackman's X-Men showing up which is laughable.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Head Gardener on January 15, 2019, 05:15:55 PMwasn't there a sand monster/man in Spiderman 3? and that was rrrrubbish

Also a big water man in Hulk. Which I'm quite fond of, but regardless. Surprising choice.

The whole trailer's quite odd. Spider-Man And Chums In Europe is the stuff of dodgy comedy sequels and sitcom features.

I'd guess Fury in this is actually Mysterio.

phantom_power

I am pretty sure no-one has said that this takes place after End Game. It probably does but I guess giving the impression it might not be avoids spoilers

wooders1978

Quote from: phantom_power on January 15, 2019, 08:37:23 PM
I am pretty sure no-one has said that this takes place after End Game. It probably does but I guess giving the impression it might not be avoids spoilers

Why set it after endgame though?
Just would not make sense - also he'd have his amazing metal suit Tone had knocked up for him wouldn't he? Mind you, this is Hollywood we're on about, not a great record for being trusted with important and obvious decisions like this

If it were set before Endgame, it would itself be spoiled.

phantom_power

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 15, 2019, 08:50:24 PM
If it were set before Endgame, it would itself be spoiled.

Only in that he doesn't die and, well, duh

Mister Six

Quote from: Mango Chimes on January 15, 2019, 08:09:33 PM
Also a big water man in Hulk. Which I'm quite fond of, but regardless. Surprising choice.

The whole trailer's quite odd. Spider-Man And Chums In Europe is the stuff of dodgy comedy sequels and sitcom features.

Less so in the US. They seem to set every third Tom Cruise action movie in Europe, usually in London.

Glebe

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Mister Six on January 15, 2019, 11:34:36 PM
Less so in the US. They seem to set every third Tom Cruise action movie in Europe, usually in London.

Yeah, but the trailers for those don't have a bunch of teenagers going, "We're going on vacation!", close-up of a suitcase, pop-punk music slams in, montage of them having fun around European Landmarks.

Maybe they should.

VelourSpirit

'Europe doesn't really need a friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man'
YOU'VE BEEN TO SPACE

'Peter Parker here to pick up a passport please' actually made me laugh though

Mango Chimes

He's also been to Europe – the airport in Civil War was in Germany.

mothman

Quote from: Mango Chimes on January 16, 2019, 08:45:05 PM
He's also been to Europe – the airport in Civil War was in Germany.

So he did. Stark even asked him if he had a passport. I can't remember the answer though. Might have got there on the quiet on a Stark jet perhaps.