Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:57:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)

Started by surreal, January 15, 2019, 02:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Quote from: jimboslice on July 15, 2019, 04:13:00 PM
They do sort of stop other films existing though. There are only so many mega-blockbusters that can be released every year, and Marvel/Disney are swallowing up a lot of that market.

No there are loads of other blockbusters released every year. They are just all too shit to remember. It isn't Marvel's fault that the Transformer films are dog dirt, or that the Rock can rarely find a decent vehicle for his talents. And arguably without the success of Marvel films there wouldn't be the atmosphere to take risks on more interesting super hero films like Logan and Deadpool.

And it is easy to forget how big a risk something like Guardians of the Galaxy was, taking a load of characters no-one had heard of and blasting the MCU out into space

bgmnts

How is it a risk when you pretty much own the film industry? Lol

The Culture Bunker

When bored at work today, I did wonder how the sequel would resolve the ending. If at all. I'm not sure it's worth putting the text in white for spoilers, but I'll do it anyways:

So, start of it, Peter is either being interviewed by plod or having to face a press conference to answer for his secret identity when, suddenly and probably too obviously, Spider-Man appears to much double taking. Sure enough, we find out a short time later that  the Peter we saw is one of those Skrull bods and now he's out of the shit, yaaay.

However, this means ol' J. Jonah is humiliated with his career in tatters, so he swears revenge and funds the experiment that turns Mac Gargan into the Scorpion. 

Perhaps too predictable by far, natch.

druss

I was a bit burnt out by the time Ultron came out actually, but they've hardly put a foot wrong since and have for the most part got better and better.

samadriel

Quote from: bgmnts on July 15, 2019, 05:42:39 PM
How is it a risk when you pretty much own the film industry? Lol

No-one cares how much of the film industry Disney controls when they plan to go see a movie.  Was everyone duty bound to see Justice League because WB is a big company?

phantom_power

And it was a comparative risk. They could have just stuck with recognisable names in familiar setting but chose to gamble with opening up the whole cosmic side of the comic world. This had all been hinted at previously obviously but GOTG was where they really went for shit or bust. I am pretty sure people were predicting it would flop

Mister Six

Can't be arsed arguing with bgmnts since he's obviously not doing it in good faith. But he's wrong. Like druss, I was burned out by Avengers 2, but Marvel clearly retooled their approach after that film's relative failure and have done a grand job since.

Anyway, I saw this yesterday and while I was weirdly detached and uninvolved during most of the action scenes (I just kept grimacing at all the nice buildings getting smashed up), I loved everything else and would have been quite happy to watch it as a teen comedy, so likeable and funny were the kid characters (whereas JB Smoove and Martin Starr were given crap lines/characterisation, which is disappointing since I love them in practically everything else. Would have liked to have seen Hannibal Buress's half-arsed gym teacher come back too, but never mind.

Gyllenhall was decent as the baddie, though the usual "underwritten MCU villain" complaints apply. I was more annoyed at the German (?) bloke who was worried about the larger body count in the London attack but totally fine with leaving a bunch of kids on the bridge to die. Interesting that "Mysterio" mentioned universe 616. Does that mean this designation isn't canon in the movies? Or did his in-universe writer just stumble across the right designation by sheer chance?

Very interested to see how they resolve the mid-credits teaser (and I like that they borrowed the PS4 game's idea of having JJJ as an Alex Jones-type conspiracy theorist, though I wish they'd made him wear a wig) and even more interested to see how Fury in space/"where are The Avengers?" pays off, as I'm assuming it will.

Speaking of future plans, I don't know whether this has been mentioned on here, but apparently Sony can duck out of the MCU deal if Far From Home doesn't break a billion. That looks unlikely, but I imagine they would, given the chance - they really are a terrible studio.

colacentral

I think they need to kill Nick Fury off soon, and I'm guessing they will. Jackson increasingly looks like he's just going through the motions and shooting all his scenes in one day; getting a big belly too. Maybe that's planned for Captain Marvel 2. They could let Maria Hill take over the reigns and give her more to do, though I can see the outraged youtube videos already.

purlieu

Quote from: Mister Six on July 17, 2019, 03:18:28 AMInteresting that "Mysterio" mentioned universe 616. Does that mean this designation isn't canon in the movies? Or did his in-universe writer just stumble across the right designation by sheer chance?
I think it's just an Easter egg, as the MCU is set on Earth-199999 (and its universe). I think I've read an interview which says that the MCU and all the previous Spiderman films, etc. are all part of the wider Marvel multiverse.
I also think this is how they're going to introduce the X-Men. After such a long-running franchise it's going to be difficult to reboot that, and I'm not sure anyone would buy all that happening at the same time as the rest of the MCU. So I think they'll be discovered through some dimensional rift, maybe in a post-credits sequence after Doctor Strange 2.

Apparently Thor 4 has been confirmed.

Replies From View

Have they numbered every single universe?  Bloody hell imagine being at that meeting.  And how do they know that in universe 99992 they call universe 8663738 universe 8663738 and not universe 836414151515 or whatever?  How can they all assume they agree on the numbering when the entire point of each universe is that they have a different take on things?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: purlieu on July 17, 2019, 11:18:12 AMApparently Thor 4 has been confirmed.
Bit surprised by that, as I thought Hemsworth might be getting ready to jump off the Marvel treadmill after GOTG3. Be nice to have see more of Korg and Miek, though.

Bad Ambassador

It's ComicCon this weekend, and there's going to a be a 90-minute panel on Saturday late afternoon (early hours of Sunday UK time) with the next phase of the MCU being announced.

Right now it looks like:
Black Widow
The Eternals
Shang-Chi
Black Panther 2
Doctor Strange 2
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3
Spider-Man: Homesomething
Thor 4

Or it could be some, none or any of these. I expect there'll also be logos and early footage from the new Disney+ series, if they've started filming yet.

MojoJojo

It seems a bit odd that Thor is the only one still going from phase one when it's mostly been a bit middling with Ragnorak been the only good one.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: MojoJojo on July 17, 2019, 01:52:56 PM
It seems a bit odd that Thor is the only one still going from phase one when it's mostly been a bit middling with Ragnorak been the only good one.
Well, there's Banner/Hulk too (by which I mean, he's not been killed off/turned into an old man), along with secondary characters like Fury, War Machine, Hawkeye and Bucky.

Glebe

Professor Hulk movie at some point?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Glebe on July 17, 2019, 02:12:02 PM
Professor Hulk movie at some point?
Rights for a solo Hulk film are all a bit tied up, aren't they?

I wasn't too much taken with the Banner/Hulk gimmick in Endgame - felt like Hulk should reemerged as the only way to save themselves when under all that rubble. And basically, you want to see HULK SMASH, not HULK DO SCIENCE EXPERIMENT or HULK DAB.

MojoJojo

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on July 17, 2019, 02:09:25 PM
Well, there's Banner/Hulk too (by which I mean, he's not been killed off/turned into an old man), along with secondary characters like Fury, War Machine, Hawkeye and Bucky.

I meant the film franchise Thor rather than the character Thor.

Glebe

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on July 17, 2019, 02:36:50 PMRights for a solo Hulk film are all a bit tied up, aren't they?

Bit confused about all that... although now that you mention it, didn't Universal release the Hulk movies? Sony of course did a deal with Disney over Spider-Man... I guess Hulk can appear in the MCU but not have his own solo flick? Oddly enough, The Incredible Hulk is actually counted as an official MCU movie (indeed, Tony Stark cameos at the end. And of course William Hurt's character would go on to appear in a few MCUs).

Bad Ambassador

Hulk is still owned by Universal and Spider-Man by Sony, meaning that they get to release solo films while team-ups come from Disney. Sony was able to strike a reasonable deal with Disney to share Spider-Man, but apparently Universal is not keen on a further Hulk film since the last two struggled.

Glebe

You'd think Disney could just buy 'em out with all there dosh and that.

Mister Six

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on July 17, 2019, 12:26:49 PM
Bit surprised by that, as I thought Hemsworth might be getting ready to jump off the Marvel treadmill after GOTG3. Be nice to have see more of Korg and Miek, though.

Hemsworth seems to know which side his bread is buttered, and in any case his other recent major works - Ghostbusters, MIB - suggest he's hardly worried about being typecast as a handsome but slightly dim heroic type. I imagine he'll be quite happy to cash the cheques for the biggies and do the odd Bad Times At The El Royale on the side.

Mister Six

Does Universal have the rights to all Hulk characters? I'd really like an adaptation of Dan Slott's She-Hulk run, ideally as a lawyer procedural (with smashing).

purlieu

Hemsworth has spoken a couple of times about being keen to do more Thor. I think the first is a decent enough entry to Phase 1, but agreed that The Dark World is about bottom of the pile. Ragnarok was such a change, though (with that GOTG-esque approach continuing into his appearances in the Avengers two-parter), and a hugely successful one at that, that I'm not surprised there's interest in continuing his character. I wonder whether it'll tie into him being in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, or whether he'll have gone his own way by the time of that film.

If you'd asked me during Phase 1 which character I'd have expected to be getting a fourth film at this stage, he would have been my last choice, but with the larger emphasis on the cosmic side of the whole franchise, and the success of Ragnarok, it makes sense now. Given that the Black Widow film is likely to be a prequel*, and there's a Hawkeye series that will probably be writing Clint out, it does leave Thor as the only remaining Avenger from the first film. Unless they do manage to do anything with the Hulk from this point, but it definitely feels like his story has been wrapped up. He and Thor made a good comedy duo though, so who knows.

Very eager to hear what'll be coming from ComicCon, I didn't realise the Marvel thing was until Saturday though. Must be patient!

*I doubt it'll be an origin story, given that a lot of the Russian spy program she was part of was covered in Agent Carter and Agents of SHIELD.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I watched this yesterday. It's a good bit of fun, as expected, but it felt rather less focussed than Homecoming. The villain did seem less well drawn than Michael Keaton's Vulture and the big reveal was nowhere near the genuinely surprising twist from Homecoming. That said, I liked the reveal that everything had been a ploy to trick Peter. I didn't actually think of this until earlier today, so it's not really a bad point, but his ultimate plan was pretty much a cross between Vulture's and the baddie from Iron Man 3.

To get all pretentious, there seemed to be a bit of metatextual commentary going on, with all the talk of Spidey taking over for Iron Man and this being Holland's first appearance without Downey Jr. backing him up. Plus Gyllenhall (who almost took over from Tobey MacGuire in Spider-Man 2) wearing a mo-cap suit and talking about coming up with an Avengers level plot while choreographing his attacks.

One nitpick: If the elementals were just drones and holograms, how did the water one make stuff wet?

Also, while I wouldn't call myself a comics purist, I'm not really a fan of Peter having access to loads of Stark gadgets, especially an army of killer drones. He's meant to be a scrappy kid who gets by on his wits, not because he was armed to the teeth by a rich benefactor.

For all the whizbang action scenes (of which, the lava monster and trippy freakout scenes were very good indeed) the most tense moment for me was when Martin Starr's character balanced his camera over the canal. As a photographer, I did a full on flinch at that bit.

The Culture Bunker

Keaton did set a really high bar, though. The scene of him driving his daughter and (a very nervous) Peter to the prom, in which he works it all out, was brilliantly tense.

Does remind me that moreso than Thanos and the infinity stones, the arc over the first 20-odd films could have been "people Howard and Tony Stark pissed off".

Deyv

It was okay, quite good, but I didn't like it when Flash got punched in the balls. The boy is neglected by his parents and seeks validation from strangers on MCU-tube. He didn't need to be punched in the balls by a random European. If they'd characterised him as a Jake Paul-type (whoever that is), then I would have been ecstatic and may even have shouted "yeah, punch those balls!" during the scene, but he's not enough of a dickhead in this film to deserve it. All I'm saying is I feel sorry for Flash Thompson's balls and it nearly ruined the film for me.

I like that the mid-credits bit was nearly the complete opposite of the one from the first film, though.

Small Man Big Horse

This is now available, I thought it was fine, very likeable, but nothing that special. The best bits were with Mysterio fucking with Peter and changing reality around him, I'd like to have seen more of that and less of Mysterio being melodramatic with his shitty mates. 7.4/10

Glebe

'Spider-Man 3' Jolt: Jamie Foxx Returning as Electro (Exclusive).

What the actual fuck?! I know the Raimi movies' J. Jonah Jameson has joined the MCU, but you'd think Sony and Disney would want you to forget the shit Amazing Spider-Man films.

The Culture Bunker

I re-watched this with my other half the other day - she hadn't seen it before and had no idea about the Mysterio character, so the bit when he reveals his actual motivations did shock her a tad. Was nice to see, as when I saw it as the cinema, it was a moment I was waiting for.