Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:38:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)

Started by surreal, January 15, 2019, 02:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

I didn't know the Mysterious story, but the reveal didn't shock me because too much neat and ordered stuff had happened in too short of a space of time, so I knew the plot was setting us up for a different direction.

How did Strange and the other wizards not realise the monster attacks weren't real? How did Stark's ridiculously advanced glasses not clock Jake Gyllenhaal and immediately pop up a "disgruntled exam-employee" warning?

colacentral

Quote from: Glebe on October 01, 2020, 10:34:51 PM
'Spider-Man 3' Jolt: Jamie Foxx Returning as Electro (Exclusive).

What the actual fuck?! I know the Raimi movies' J. Jonah Jameson has joined the MCU, but you'd think Sony and Disney would want you to forget the shit Amazing Spider-Man films.

Fuck's sake. Must be more to it than that. Maybe he's playing a completely different take on the character and his casting is just meant to be a piss taking in-joke, but more likely is that Sony are imposing a multiverse thing on it as an excuse to eventually have Holland show up in their crap Venom films.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 02, 2020, 12:27:20 AMHow did Strange and the other wizards not realise the monster attacks weren't real? How did Stark's ridiculously advanced glasses not clock Jake Gyllenhaal and immediately pop up a "disgruntled exam-employee" warning?
I suppose the team of high-tech experts Beck had could have removed all trace of themselves from the Stark system? And doesn't Fury (not Fury) say Dr Strange is otherwise occupied?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: colacentral on October 02, 2020, 08:36:26 AM
Fuck's sake. Must be more to it than that. Maybe he's playing a completely different take on the character and his casting is just meant to be a piss taking in-joke, but more likely is that Sony are imposing a multiverse thing on it as an excuse to eventually have Holland show up in their crap Venom films.
The phrase "Killing the golden goose" springs to mind.

El Unicornio, mang

Odd, although the two Amazing Spider-Man films are actually my favourites of them all.

purlieu

It feels very Arrowverse-esque, as there are tons of actors from previous shows and films reappearing as effectively 'different' versions of their characters. Maybe it'll be part of the whole Multiverse thing and we'll find out that all those other films are now canon, DC-style.

Replies From View

beanheadmcginty

Watts? Electro?
Webb? Spiderman?

Something weird going on with these director choices

The Culture Bunker

Was thinking, they better get on with filming soon as if I remember right, Spider-Man was supposed to be 16 at the end of 'Far From Home', and Holland is 24 now. Won't be long before they'll be needing the de-aging tech to make him still look like a teen, unless they skip the story forward a bit.

"Phew, MJ! This reminds me of that instance eight years ago where everyone found out my secret identity!"
"Yes, lucky that was all sorted out before we graduated high school."

They could say the stress has made him look older. Like how world leaders age massively when in office.

Glebe

Quote from: colacentral on October 02, 2020, 08:36:26 AMFuck's sake. Must be more to it than that. Maybe he's playing a completely different take on the character and his casting is just meant to be a piss taking in-joke, but more likely is that Sony are imposing a multiverse thing on it as an excuse to eventually have Holland show up in their crap Venom films.

It could be a multiverse thing, but I dunno. Hmmm.

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on October 02, 2020, 12:20:03 PMOdd, although the two Amazing Spider-Man films are actually my favourites of them all.

NOOOOO!!!!

magval

Worth remembering Deadpool was already botched in film and then miraculously reappeared, played by the same fucking actor, in one of the most source-and-tone faithful adaptations ever. I don't care much for the films there's a precedent there.

The point we should all be asking is who gives a fuck about Electro? There are no classic Electro stories, at least up until about four years ago when I stopped reading. Electro is one of the stock hired goons* for other more interesting baddies to make use of. He's not the kind of cunt you build a film around, as ASM2 proved.

Just give us Norman Osborn or do Doc Ock again. If comedy the route's they're headed (the most recent film was the most dedicated to 'comedy movie' as its gimmick that Marvel's tried so far, then just do CLONES. Do the Clone Saga storyline, but do the Calvin and Hobbes version where each of the clones makes more clones to do its bidding and no-one can agree who's the real Peter.

*Hired goons?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: magval on October 02, 2020, 05:45:04 PMThe point we should all be asking is who gives a fuck about Electro? There are no classic Electro stories, at least up until about four years ago when I stopped reading. Electro is one of the stock hired goons* for other more interesting baddies to make use of. He's not the kind of cunt you build a film around, as ASM2 proved.
If I remember right, in the 90s Spider-Man cartoon series, they made Electro the son of the Red Skull, which was a slightly interesting twist. I think the Chameleon (in that version) was part of the same family too.

Mister Six

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on October 02, 2020, 03:28:51 PM
Was thinking, they better get on with filming soon as if I remember right, Spider-Man was supposed to be 16 at the end of 'Far From Home', and Holland is 24 now. Won't be long before they'll be needing the de-aging tech to make him still look like a teen, unless they skip the story forward a bit.

"Phew, MJ! This reminds me of that instance eight years ago where everyone found out my secret identity!"
"Yes, lucky that was all sorted out before we graduated high school."

The original plan was to do three high-school movies, three college movies and three grown-up movies, plus all the usual crossover guff. Dunno how coherent the MCU timeline is supposed to be now after the Endgame timeskip and that, much less with Covid fucking up film schedules.

Jamie Foxx as Electro doesn't bother me - if the story's true then they'll probably just reboot the character but with the same actor, same as JJJ and (as mentioned) Deadpool. More bothered about Jamie Foxx being boring as fuck and lacking any kind of charisma, but that's never got in Christian Bake's way I suppose.

touchingcloth

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on October 02, 2020, 08:39:06 AM
I suppose the team of high-tech experts Beck had could have removed all trace of themselves from the Stark system? And doesn't Fury (not Fury) say Dr Strange is otherwise occupied?

It seems like if they could have removed themselves from the system then they could have done anything the glasses could. And Fury does say that, but as hand waving goes it's pretty weak.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 02, 2020, 07:03:57 PM
It seems like if they could have removed themselves from the system then they could have done anything the glasses could. And Fury does say that, but as hand waving goes it's pretty weak.
Though, of course, it's not actually Fury and it's suggested the real one would have seen through the whole thing.

The glasses did give him/them access to stuff that allowed them to cause a greater degree of carnage, like being to assassinate anyone they pleased at will.

SteveDave

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/andrew-garfield-tobey-maguire-reportedly-talks-spiderman-3/

Looks like they might be going down the multi-verse route then. It'll be a good way of getting Miles Morales kickstarted in the films. But didn't Donald Glover play his uncle in the first Tom Holland Spider-Man? I can't remember. I'm very tired.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: SteveDave on October 05, 2020, 09:19:52 AMLooks like they might be going down the multi-verse route then. It'll be a good way of getting Miles Morales kickstarted in the films. But didn't Donald Glover play his uncle in the first Tom Holland Spider-Man? I can't remember. I'm very tired.
Yeah, he was the low-level criminal Spider-Man bumps into a couple of times (he's buying a weapon from the original Shocker, then later questioned in the car park when he's putting his shopping away), who mentions he has a nephew called Miles.

colacentral

Quote from: SteveDave on October 05, 2020, 09:19:52 AM
https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/andrew-garfield-tobey-maguire-reportedly-talks-spiderman-3/

Looks like they might be going down the multi-verse route then. It'll be a good way of getting Miles Morales kickstarted in the films. But didn't Donald Glover play his uncle in the first Tom Holland Spider-Man? I can't remember. I'm very tired.

Isn't there already a Spider-Verse 2 in production? It could be that the casting news is misdirection and it's all for a short live action gag in the animated film.

touchingcloth

Quote from: SteveDave on October 05, 2020, 09:19:52 AM

It'd be a bit lame if they just copied the Spiderverse plot. Although a live action John Mulaney would be fun.

touchingcloth

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on October 02, 2020, 07:11:08 PM
Though, of course, it's not actually Fury and it's suggested the real one would have seen through the whole thing.

The glasses did give him/them access to stuff that allowed them to cause a greater degree of carnage, like being to assassinate anyone they pleased at will.

I'm never entirely sure at which point the Furies are swapped, or why the Skrull lads don't get in touch when the planet seems to be in massive peril. I dunno, it just feels like they could have written in something better than two words about why Strange wasn't getting involved.

SavageHedgehog

Jamie Foxx has said he "won t be blue" this time, which suggests it's not the same version of the character?

phantom_power

Either that or he has toned down his potty mouth

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on October 05, 2020, 11:44:08 AMJamie Foxx has said he "won t be blue" this time, which suggests it's not the same version of the character?

He means he won't be sad about the script this time.

JamesTC

If the idea is to do multiverse stories with Spider-Man then I would be all in if it means Toby Maguire returns.

Kelvin

Quote from: JamesTC on October 05, 2020, 12:20:55 PM
If the idea is to do multiverse stories with Spider-Man then I would be all in if it means Toby Maguire returns.

Not sure if you realise this, but Toby Maguire is 103 years old now.

JamesTC

Glebe