Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:34:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)

Started by surreal, January 15, 2019, 02:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 05, 2020, 11:34:51 AM
I'm never entirely sure at which point the Furies are swapped, or why the Skrull lads don't get in touch when the planet seems to be in massive peril. I dunno, it just feels like they could have written in something better than two words about why Strange wasn't getting involved.
I guessed that at Stark's funeral, Danvers told Fury about some galactic peril that she required his help on, so he (and presumably Maria Hill) shot off into deep space soon after. And the Aussie Skurll lad presumably assumed he had things in hand until he sussed Mysterio out - I'm thinking he'll also be the "get out of jail" card played to take the heat off Spider-Man, though that might be too obvious. 

Replies From View

Spiteface

Hearing so much about them bringing back actors and versions of characters from previous movie iterations of Spider-Man.

Have they just decided to forget how Far From Home actually ended and go all-in on fanservice rather than continuing a story?

Mister Six

Guessing he just blames one of the other Spider-Mans for Donnie Darko's death and that bit is resolved.

Replies From View

A really good gimmick would be to have a Spider-Man film that isn't packed to the gills with mad shit.

greenman

Spiderman - Along Walk To The Shops

frajer

Is this all not Marvel thinking they have to up their Spidey game after Sony's Into the SpiderVerse?

Mileage will vary (and I know both films did the big box office money) but I thought the decent enough MCU Spider-Man films looked quite tame and old hat compared to the fast-paced insanity of SpiderVerse.

magval

Maybe that's how it should be. Not 'tame' exactly, but just something different to this 'throw everything' template that Guardians of the Galaxy popularised.

In the 1960s, The Avengers and the Fantastic Four were fighting monsters from other planets and saving the world quite regularly, while Spider-Man was trying to avoid his best friend's dad outing him at a dinner party and really struggling to afford medicine for his aunt. He was the alternative to all that TEAM stuff and I much prefer him as a loner.

Spider-Verse was fucking great but nothing in it was as good as Michael Keaton turning round to Tom Holland and telling him to stay the fuck out of his business or he'd kill his family. Nothing in any Marvel film has been as good since, come to think of it.

frajer

Quote from: magval on December 09, 2020, 01:11:22 PM
Maybe that's how it should be. Not 'tame' exactly, but just something different to this 'throw everything' template that Guardians of the Galaxy popularised.

Oh yeah, 100% agree. It's definitely good to have these different styles of films (I still love the heightened, Silver Age-comics-style Raimi films). I just think the MCU saw how people reacted to Spider-Verse and is chasing their own multiverse glory.

To be honest, even the European tour setting of Far From Home was a bit too much for me. Give me a Spider-Man swinging around New York and stopping low-key muggers, bank robbers and shooty men anyday.

QuoteSpider-Verse was fucking great but nothing in it was as good as Michael Keaton turning round to Tom Holland and telling him to stay the fuck out of his business or he'd kill his family. Nothing in any Marvel film has been as good since, come to think of it.

Utterly boss moment. A human villain with understandable motivations and bristling with menace.

magval

Quote from: frajer on December 09, 2020, 01:37:33 PM
To be honest, even the European tour setting of Far From Home was a bit too much for me. Give me a Spider-Man swinging around New York and stopping low-key muggers, bank robbers and shooty men anyday.

I didn't get that film at all. My main reaction to it the first time I saw it was that all the characters had turned into sketches of who they were in the first film.

It felt desperate. Thor 3 didn't feel desperate - there, they took a character with comic potential and put him into a really funny film. With Far From Home, they took a character with comic potential and put him into a comedy film, which was still beholden to all the bells and whistles of modern comics films so big lumbering CGI monsters that mean nothing and a plot with a swerve so obvious that to waste about 40 minutes on the setup was just taking the piss.

It didn't work at all and I felt sorry for the lads that wrote Homecoming not getting a chance (for whatever reason) to continue in the same rich vein as the first movie.

Lord Mandrake

Confirmed; JK Simmons, Benedict Cumberbatch, Jamie Fox, Alfred Molina, Andrew Garfield, Kristen Dunst, Emma Stone.
In talks; Tobey Maguire
Rumoured; Charlie Cox, Tom Hardy

All that lot plus the supporting cast, Zendaya, Maria Tomei etc..

This will be expensive I reckon.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on December 09, 2020, 10:43:23 PM
Confirmed; JK Simmons, Benedict Cumberbatch, Jamie Fox, Alfred Molina, Andrew Garfield, Kristen Dunst, Emma Stone.
In talks; Tobey Maguire
Rumoured; Charlie Cox, Tom Hardy

All that lot plus the supporting cast, Zendaya, Maria Tomei etc..

This will be expensive I reckon.

Remember the last time they put too many villains in a Spiderman movie?  This will be fine...

touchingcloth

Quote from: Mister Six on December 09, 2020, 03:28:53 AM
Guessing he just blames one of the other Spider-Mans for Donnie Darko's death and that bit is resolved.

The correct plural form is Spiders-Man.

beanheadmcginty

How come none of Spider-Man's arch enemies is some sort of human fly? You'd think they make obvious antagonists.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on December 10, 2020, 01:39:08 AM
How come none of Spider-Man's arch enemies is some sort of human fly? You'd think they make obvious antagonists.
Maybe the Cramps refused to licence the theme song so they decided not to bother.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on December 10, 2020, 01:39:08 AM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Fly_(comics)
Why anyone would expect a fly to duff up a spider, I don't know.

sirhenry

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 10, 2020, 04:23:38 AM
Maybe Wire refused to licence the theme song so they decided not to bother.
Ftfy

purlieu

I'm sure Into the Spider-Verse had some impact here, but the fact that Doctor Strange is in this and has a Multiverse film in this Phase, that will be linked into by the WandaVision TV series, suggests doing Multiverse stuff is probably something they've had in line for a while. Given the scale of the Thanos plot, it would be difficult to go bigger this time, and the whole Multiverse concept was seeded with Endgame anyway. So I have a feeling this whole thing has been potentially in the works for quite some time anyway.

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 10, 2020, 12:48:29 AM
The correct plural form is Spiders-Men.

notjosh

Was this whole different-versions-of-this-franchise-are-actually-from-parallel-dimensions thing invented by the TV movie Turtles Forever or is there an earlier example?

Famous Mortimer

Fr.Bigley

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: notjosh on December 10, 2020, 12:26:39 PM
Was this whole different-versions-of-this-franchise-are-actually-from-parallel-dimensions thing invented by the TV movie Turtles Forever or is there an earlier example?
It's at least as old as Crisis on Infinite Earths from 1985.

touchingcloth

Quote from: magval on December 09, 2020, 01:11:22 PM

In the 1960s, The Avengers and the Fantastic Four were fighting monsters from other planets and saving the world quite regularly, while Spider-Man was trying to avoid his best friend's dad outing him at a dinner party and really struggling to afford medicine for his aunt. He was the alternative to all that TEAM stuff and I much prefer him as a loner.

Spider-Verse was fucking great but nothing in it was as good as Michael Keaton turning round to Tom Holland and telling him to stay the fuck out of his business or he'd kill his family. Nothing in any Marvel film has been as good since, come to think of it.

Since or before. Homecoming is a fantastic film - it's the "smallest" plot in the MCU, and all the better for it. Far From Home threw a lot of stuff at the wall, but forgot to make one of those things a satisfying plot. Spiderverse had an either shittier plot, but it looked ridiculously good.

I'll be quite disappointed if 3 is even less like Homecoming than 2.

purlieu

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 10, 2020, 02:31:24 PM
It's at least as old as Crisis on Infinite Earths from 1985.
Yeah, I was going to say, DC have done the whole Multiverse thing for a long time. Marvel are generally less clear about it, I think? The Arrowverse has been doing the whole multiverse thing for years and I think it's one of the most popular aspects of the whole thing, so I wonder if Marvel were also partially inspired by that.

In other news, rumours continue that Charlie Cox's Daredevil will be in the third Spider-Man film... whether that means the Netflix shows will be canonical to the same world as the films or whether they'll be part of the whole multiverse plot, who knows.

Obel

Is there any way back for them after they do all this reality bending multiverse shit? You would imagine Phase 4 would be pretty surreal with how they're introducing all this wacky stuff. How are they going to move onto a new phase where there isn't anything like that? Surely people would find it a bit disappointing now. Unless this is just how they're setting things up so they can kill and resurrect heroes and villains and replace them with new actors forever... ah I just figured it out

samadriel

Quote from: purlieu on December 11, 2020, 10:42:25 AM
In other news, rumours continue that Charlie Cox's Daredevil will be in the third Spider-Man film... whether that means the Netflix shows will be canonical to the same world as the films or whether they'll be part of the whole multiverse plot, who knows.
The important thing would be Cox coming back, i fucking love his version of Matt Murdock, and would rejoice in seeing him come back, even if we only see him in the courtroom or whatever.

Time for a new Marvel thread I think.

purlieu

Quote from: Obel on December 11, 2020, 11:36:44 AM
Is there any way back for them after they do all this reality bending multiverse shit? You would imagine Phase 4 would be pretty surreal with how they're introducing all this wacky stuff. How are they going to move onto a new phase where there isn't anything like that? Surely people would find it a bit disappointing now. Unless this is just how they're setting things up so they can kill and resurrect heroes and villains and replace them with new actors forever... ah I just figured it out
It'll be interesting to see if they go full-on Crisis on Infinite Earths and make previous X-Men, Blade, Hulk, The Punisher, Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider and Daredevil film incarnations canon. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the X-Men are introduced via the multiverse, as their backstory is far too long and in-depth to have occurred in the MCU and simply not been referenced.

We have Phase 4 and 5 currently set up, if I had to guess anything I'd say Phase 6 will have a Thanos-level multiverse-related enemy of some kind. My Marvel knowledge is far from in-depth, is there anyone obvious from the comics to fill that role?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: purlieu on December 11, 2020, 12:15:31 PMWe have Phase 4 and 5 currently set up, if I had to guess anything I'd say Phase 6 will have a Thanos-level multiverse-related enemy of some kind. My Marvel knowledge is far from in-depth, is there anyone obvious from the comics to fill that role?
It's a bit hard to go further than someone who actually wiped out half of all life across the universe (and almost took the other half too). I suppose it's going to be someone who wants to wipe out everyone in every dimension. Dormammu, maybe?

If they do bring in the Fantastic Four, Galactus would be a good mid-tier threat villain for everyone to team up together against.

purlieu

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on December 11, 2020, 03:31:22 PM
I suppose it's going to be someone who wants to wipe out everyone in every dimension.
The question is how to do it without it feeling like a retread of Crisis on Infinite Earths. I suppose we'll see in the next few years.