Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:01:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)

Started by surreal, January 15, 2019, 02:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gulftastic

Quote from: purlieu on December 11, 2020, 10:42:25 AM
Yeah, I was going to say, DC have done the whole Multiverse thing for a long time. Marvel are generally less clear about it, I think? The Arrowverse has been doing the whole multiverse thing for years and I think it's one of the most popular aspects of the whole thing, so I wonder if Marvel were also partially inspired by that.

In other news, rumours continue that Charlie Cox's Daredevil will be in the third Spider-Man film... whether that means the Netflix shows will be canonical to the same world as the films or whether they'll be part of the whole multiverse plot, who knows.

DC's first multiverse story.

purlieu

Impressive just how well the TV Flash pretty much mirrors that as the first multiverse story, with the introduction of Jay Garrick in the second series.

Mister Six

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 10, 2020, 12:48:29 AM
The correct plural form is Spiders-Man.

Spiders-Man is a bunch of spiders that think they're Peter Parker.

Really.

Mister Six

Quote from: purlieu on December 11, 2020, 09:03:22 PM
The question is how to do it without it feeling like a retread of Crisis on Infinite Earths. I suppose we'll see in the next few years.

The answer is that most people haven't heard of or care about Crisis on Infinite Earths, so fuck it.

purlieu

The comic book nerd fanbase would be pretty vocal about it if they did something too similar. These aren't people they want to piss off too much.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Mister Six on December 12, 2020, 05:23:10 AM

Really.
Each spider was bitten by a radioactive Peter Parker.

Mister Six

Quote from: purlieu on December 12, 2020, 12:14:27 PM
The comic book nerd fanbase would be pretty vocal about it if they did something too similar. These aren't people they want to piss off too much.

I honestly don't think they matter. The Marvel films are making over a billion dollars each, and most of that comes from audiences who have never picked up a comic book. Even if you're looking at comic book fans, most of them haven't read the original Crisis and only have the vaguest idea of what happens in it.the Arrowverse shows that did their own Crisis this year have a pretty niche audience.

Worst-case scenario is a load of nerd blogs and YouTubers doing "Here are 10 ways Marvel ripped off Infinite Crisis!" lists and most people still just not giving a shit. It might even help, because they can experience some big comic lore thing by watching a few films rather than buying a load of graphic novels or streaming seven Arrowverse shows, each of which has its own impenetrable backstory.

And the nerds who complain about this stuff and promise to boycott it always end up watching it anyway just so their internet arguments can be on-point.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: purlieu on December 11, 2020, 12:15:31 PM
It'll be interesting to see if they go full-on Crisis on Infinite Earths and make previous X-Men, Blade, Hulk, The Punisher, Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider and Daredevil film incarnations canon. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the X-Men are introduced via the multiverse, as their backstory is far too long and in-depth to have occurred in the MCU and simply not been referenced.

We have Phase 4 and 5 currently set up, if I had to guess anything I'd say Phase 6 will have a Thanos-level multiverse-related enemy of some kind. My Marvel knowledge is far from in-depth, is there anyone obvious from the comics to fill that role?

Kang the conquerer will be the overarching villian of the multiverse saga, he was seeded way back in Ant man. Thor 2 had Dr Selvig going on about many worlds theory so they've been quietly building to this for ages. Kang has been cast for ant man 3 and will probably pop up in the Loki series. Then Dr Doom, Galactus will happen.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The question is, will Kang look as completely stupid in the films as he does in the comics?

Lord Mandrake

Please let him keep those thigh highs at least. They did a good job with Mysterio so I'm sure they can adapt Kang similarly. The actor looks suitably menacing.

beanheadmcginty

I never read many Marvel comics as a kid, just a few Spider-Man annuals here and there, but I have a weirdly in-depth knowledge of all their characters because I had the Marvel Super Heroes and Marvel Super Villains packs of Top Trumps. The stats for Galactus were pretty much unbeatable. Baron Zemo was an absolute joke card. Total dog eggs.

Gulftastic

Didn't Zemo have a hood permanently stuck to his head with super glue or something?

Replies From View

Quote from: Mister Six on December 12, 2020, 05:23:10 AM

Really.

QuotePeter Parker was once a promising young student

...the end

Jerzy Bondov

I can't wait for a good film take on Doctor Doom, the best villain in superhero comics. It would be great if they could keep him a secret and have him just arrive and start fucking shit up without warning. Fucking yes Doom is here.

Replies From View

all his stuff could be filmed in the first person with his fist in the bottom right-hand corner clutching a weapon

beanheadmcginty

Are Dr Doom, Klytus and Skeletor cousins or something? There's a definite family resemblance.