Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:34:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)

Started by surreal, January 15, 2019, 02:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Quote from: TwinPeaks on January 16, 2019, 08:16:21 PM
'Europe doesn't really need a friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man'
YOU'VE BEEN TO SPACE

Not necessarily at the time this film is set

Mister Six

Where's Captain Britain while all this is going on? Come to think of it, is the implication that only America and Wakanda have superheroes?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Mister Six on January 16, 2019, 10:16:47 PM
Where's Captain Britain while all this is going on? Come to think of it, is the implication that only America and Wakanda have superheroes?
Well, Scarlet Witch is from Sokovia, but I guess she was mainly working from the States until she went rogue.

phantom_power

Quote from: TwinPeaks on January 16, 2019, 10:54:08 PM
They've said it's set after Avengers 4 https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a832011/avengers-4-leads-immediately-into-spider-man-homecoming-2/

Even if it is set after End Game, due to time travel shenanigans he might not have been in space. That is nitpicking though

Mister Six

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 16, 2019, 10:28:16 PM
Well, Scarlet Witch is from Sokovia, but I guess she was mainly working from the States until she went rogue.

Is she even bothering with an accent by the time Infinity War crops up? I don't recall.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Mister Six on January 17, 2019, 04:15:51 AM
Is she even bothering with an accent by the time Infinity War crops up? I don't recall.

Not to start with but she remembers about halfway through.

Obel

Quote from: TwinPeaks on January 16, 2019, 10:54:08 PM
They've said it's set after Avengers 4 https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a832011/avengers-4-leads-immediately-into-spider-man-homecoming-2/

It's a bit dry that they're not even trying to maintain the possibility that Spidey is dead. I mean I know adults would obviously expect him to be brought back, but why not try and keep it up for all the gullible kids who were traumatised by Infinity War?

phantom_power

Quote from: Obel on January 17, 2019, 09:17:17 AM
It's a bit dry that they're not even trying to maintain the possibility that Spidey is dead. I mean I know adults would obviously expect him to be brought back, but why not try and keep it up for all the gullible kids who were traumatised by Infinity War?

I think that is why there are being a bit coy with when the film is set. They have made statements, as above, but they aren't readily available and the timeline isn't part of the publicity. It is almost like the trailer is trying extra-hard to be bright and breezy to distance itself from the Infinity War doom and death.

That is the only way they can go about it really, beyond delaying the announcement of Spiderman 2 until after Endgame is released and that was never going to happen

magval

All this talk of Avengers 4 and I've only just realised something: why DID Marvel wait so long to announce the title of that one, when it doesn't explicitly (or even implicitly) relate to anything that might in any way impact ticket sales or fan enjoyment?

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Mister Six on January 16, 2019, 10:16:47 PM
I had a really good idea for a Captain Britain film and then the first Kingsman film came out and was basically the same but with spies instead of wizards and knights.

phantom_power

Quote from: magval on January 17, 2019, 10:50:00 AM
All this talk of Avengers 4 and I've only just realised something: why DID Marvel wait so long to announce the title of that one, when it doesn't explicitly (or even implicitly) relate to anything that might in any way impact ticket sales or fan enjoyment?

Maybe they had a change of mind at the last minute and the original title was more spoilery

Replies From View

Replies From View

Should I watch this if I haven't bothered with Infinity War?

Replies From View

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: phantom_power on January 17, 2019, 11:21:58 AM
Maybe they had a change of mind at the last minute and the original title was more spoilery
Avengers: Let's Go Back in Time and Stop Thanos Ever Getting the Infinity Stones was a bit of a mouthful too, if we're being honest.

Replies From View

Just looked at the wiki page for Infinity War; apparently that is no good in isolation either!

QuoteA. O. Scott of The New York Times criticized the film's reliance on other films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, saying, "Considered on its own, as a single, nearly 2-hour-40-minute movie, Avengers: Infinity War makes very little sense", but conceded that it "was never meant to be viewed or judged in isolation".

What a mess.  Just make a nice Spider-Man film that can be watched without dependence on a complete fucking sticker album of garbage.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Replies From View on January 17, 2019, 07:37:15 PMWhat a mess.  Just make a nice Spider-Man film that can be watched without dependence on a complete fucking sticker album of garbage.
I think that a big part of the appeal of the Marvel films now is that you're buying into a shared experience over many films. If that makes sense.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

With the possible exception of Infinity War, I think they generally include enough information to give the audience a grip on things. Homecoming even started out with a video diary style recap of Civil War.

Replies From View

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 17, 2019, 08:03:32 PM
I think that a big part of the appeal of the Marvel films now is that you're buying into a shared experience over many films. If that makes sense.

It's a bloody great turn-off for people who only have interest in one of their characters.

Marvel must be haemorrhaging cash because of it.

I very much doubt you'll need to have seen the last two Avengers films to know what's going on.

Replies From View

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 17, 2019, 08:37:19 PM
With the possible exception of Infinity War, I think they generally include enough information to give the audience a grip on things. Homecoming even started out with a video diary style recap of Civil War.

I saw Homecoming on the understanding that watching Captain America was an optional extra. But apparently in order to watch the sequel to Homecoming I'd need to watch Infinity War, which in turn requires me to watch at least three other films about characters I have zero interest in.

It's too much.  Marvel have fucked their go at Spider-Man.

Replies From View

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 17, 2019, 08:50:25 PM
Marvel must be haemorrhaging cash because of it.

I don't doubt that they are making tons of money from it. 

But for me to enjoy Spider-Man I prefer a standalone story to the knowledge that Marvel are rolling around in cash.  Surprisingly the latter concept helps me to enjoy very few films, usually.

Replies From View

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 17, 2019, 08:55:07 PM

I'm sorry I'm typing this on the tube where there's only a signal when we're standing at stations.

The understanding I got from posters above was that I'd need the knowledge of the other films, so I went with that.

You should always listen to me. Have I ever steered you wrong?

Replies From View

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 17, 2019, 09:07:13 PM
You should always listen to me. Have I ever steered you wrong?

Well there was that time with the Wicker Man.

Not a recommendation to watch the Nicholas Cage remake, but that time you led me up a ladder to become burned to death in an actual Wicker Man.

I didn't like it.

phantom_power

Quote from: Replies From View on January 17, 2019, 07:21:56 PM
Stupid of them to tie it into the expanded universe bullshit, really.

I don't know how much it ties in to the expanded universe. I just don't think you deserve to see it