Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:45:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)

Started by surreal, January 15, 2019, 02:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerzy Bondov

The MCU isn't that complicated. You could come in anywhere and work it out. First one I saw was Avengers 1. Also my first episode of Doctor Who was episode four of Planet of the Daleks and it didn't put me off.

Replies From View

Quote from: phantom_power on January 17, 2019, 09:15:03 PM
I don't know how much it ties in to the expanded universe. I just don't think you deserve to see it

Fair enough.  I deserve very few things so far.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Replies From View on January 17, 2019, 09:09:48 PM
Well there was that time with the Wicker Man.

Not a recommendation to watch the Nicholas Cage remake, but that time you led me up a ladder to become burned to death in an actual Wicker Man.

I didn't like it.
It would have worked out fine, if you'd just sat there like I told you.

I mean, it wouldn't have worked out for you so much, but the crops would have been ace.

Mister Six

Quote from: Replies From View on January 17, 2019, 06:28:23 PM
Should I watch this if I haven't bothered with Infinity War?

Phantom_power is kidding - this will likely have no connection to Infinity War beyond a couple of lines namechecking it.

Infinity War is great, though, so long as you have a passing grasp of who the characters are.

ToneLa

Into the Spider-Verse is the best Marvel movie I've ever seen.

Mister Six

Replies From View

Say it's the best movie you have ever seen since you were three years old or say nothing at all.

Mister Six

samadriel

The Culture Bunker

Little bit surprised with the direction they've gone with Mysterio, there. Not so much the initially pitching himself as a "good guy" (perhaps they'll subvert expectations by not having him make the face/heel switch), but more his origins.

Kelvin

Fuck me, that is a massive Endgame Spoiler.

EDIT; Ah, apparently Holland warns of that at the start. I just assumed it was the typical "film star introduces trailer" thing and skipped over it.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on May 07, 2019, 06:24:36 PM
Little bit surprised with the direction they've gone with Mysterio, there. Not so much the initially pitching himself as a "good guy" (perhaps they'll subvert expectations by not having him make the face/heel switch), but more his origins.
I assume his purported origin will be a lie. It all seems too obvious though,  especially after they pulled off such a good twist in Homecoming.

Replies From View

Spider-Man:  Homecoming
Spider-Man:  Far From Home
Spider-Man:  Coming Back Home Again

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 07, 2019, 07:35:41 PM
I assume his purported origin will be a lie. It all seems too obvious though,  especially after they pulled off such a good twist in Homecoming.
Yeah, I was considering that Mysterio has made it all up and that the Elementals are all some kind of illusion. But then again, I'm not sure Fury would buy into "parallel universes exist" theory just because some guy with a fish bowl over his head said so.

Lord Mandrake

Multiverse confirmed, no way they don't start exploiting the literally limitless creative opportunities. Into the Spiderverse proved the concept. Question with Mysterio will be not if but just how is he fucking us?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on May 07, 2019, 11:09:26 PM
Multiverse confirmed, no way they don't start exploiting the literally limitless creative opportunities. Into the Spiderverse proved the concept. Question with Mysterio will be not if but just how is he fucking us?
To be honest, I'm a little wary of the whole thing. Just provides a cheap "get back" clause for anyone who's dead in the event the franchise needs a bump. "Oh, in THIS universe, Black Widow is alive. Yaaay!"

Lord Mandrake

I think it will be used sparingly by Fiege. More useful to introduce new charachters than revive old ones, although yes that card will be up the sleeve. I can imagine with the Sony Spider-man contract especially it could be useful for potential crossover. Not least they have an in for all the Xmen, F4 etc...

Bazooka

Those teenage friends make this look unwatchable. I know of Mysterio but has he always been able to fly and shoot green showergel out of his hands?

colacentral

Yeah, agreed with above, the multiverse thing is BS - not the existence of it as it clearly does exist, but the idea that Mysterio has come from another world.

I feel like his line that "sometimes people die" is probably a clue to his motivations - I'm wondering if the plan is to become trusted enough within Shield that he's able to access Tony's plans for the time machine so he can use it to bring someone back to life, i.e. from an alternate timeline, and that this would solve the time machine issue as it would end with all of that Stark stuff being deleted forever so no one can time travel anymore. The only issue I have with that theory is that it's essentially the same plot as Spider-Verse.

People online are up in arms about Spider-Man's line about the world needing the next Iron Man but I don't think he's talking about himself there, I think he's been taken in by Mysterio and he's talking him up instead, i.e. the world needs Mysterio to be the next Iron Man so let's let him have all the Tony Stark tech. I still feel that it's an Edward Scissorhands situation where Mysterio is setting Spider-Man up to steal something for him, under the illusion of it being for good intentions, and the whole thing ends up with everyone getting the wrong end of the stick and hating Spider-Man.

Might the Multiverse stuff be hinting at some of Hickamn run on Avengers, with the multiverse breaking down and alteranative earths colliding into each other. Might that be the Phase 5 arc?

The high-tech Spiderman suit/mechanical spider legs are HORRIBLE and had better go away quickly.

Other than that the new trailer looks good.

Shaky

Quote from: colacentral on May 08, 2019, 01:23:01 AM
People online are up in arms about Spider-Man's line about the world needing the next Iron Man but I don't think he's talking about himself there, I think he's been taken in by Mysterio and he's talking him up instead, i.e. the world needs Mysterio to be the next Iron Man so let's let him have all the Tony Stark tech. I still feel that it's an Edward Scissorhands situation where Mysterio is setting Spider-Man up to steal something for him, under the illusion of it being for good intentions, and the whole thing ends up with everyone getting the wrong end of the stick and hating Spider-Man.

Nah, I reckon Spidey's talking about himself but in the end he'll learn he only needs to be himself etc etc.

Norton Canes

When are they gonna do the electric guy with the lightning mask? He was the best ones in the cartoon.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 08, 2019, 11:33:20 AM
When are they gonna do the electric guy with the lightning mask? He was the best ones in the cartoon.
Electro. Jamie Foxx played him in the last piss poor Sony effort.

I think in the 90s cartoon he was related to the Red Skull...

Lord Mandrake

I think the Mysterio we see in the trailer is a legit hero from his universe and will take that Iron man mentor role. The Elementals are clearly way too bland to carry the main threat so there must be another big bad, possibly the 616 evil Mysterio leading to doppelganger shenanigans. Jake Gyllenhall could pull that off.

mothman

The question regarding the 5-year gap in the Endgame thread just now has just got me wondering - did we see Happy st all prior to the end of that film? Was he mentioned? Tony's daughter seemed to know him quite well, so maybe he wasn't dusted.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: mothman on May 12, 2019, 07:31:15 PM
The question regarding the 5-year gap in the Endgame thread just now has just got me wondering - did we see Happy st all prior to the end of that film? Was he mentioned? Tony's daughter seemed to know him quite well, so maybe he wasn't dusted.
I wondered if him and Aunt May had stayed in touch over those five years, hence the gentle flirting between them that confuses Peter.

mothman

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on May 12, 2019, 09:58:20 PM
I wondered if him and Aunt May had stayed in touch over those five years, hence the gentle flirting between them that confuses Peter.

Ooh, good idea. Though we don't know if she went undusted or not either.