Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:56:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)

Started by surreal, January 15, 2019, 02:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timothy

Just went to see this at my local cinema. Unfortunately after 15 minutes a fight broke out because people didnt stop talking and the film got cancelled.

Fun first fifteen minutes though.

greenman

Did the fight involve a giant lizard?

Glebe

Just back from seeing this (well, I'm home about 45 mins, but y'know what I mean)... thought it was okay. It's one of the lesser Marvel movies, there's some fun and frolics but not a huge amount of thrills. Biggest shock moment actually comes in the mid-credits scene... which also brings J.K. Simmons back as J. Jonah Jameson - HUZZAH!

Replies From View

How does it rank alongside the existing Spider-Man films, in your view?

Glebe

Quote from: Replies From View on July 04, 2019, 09:02:30 PMHow does it rank alongside the existing Spider-Man films, in your view?

Below Spider-Man 1, 2 and 3 and Homecoming, but above both Amazing Spider-Man films. Spidey 3 was a bit of a mess of course, but there's some good stuff in there.

colacentral

Madness. The Raimi ones are piss poor. Even the second one has aged badly.

Glebe

Quote from: colacentral on July 04, 2019, 10:01:16 PMMadness. The Raimi ones are piss poor. Even the second one has aged badly.

Nah, the second one is the best one.

Replies From View

I've seen all of them up to Homecoming; my ranking would be as follows:

Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man Homecoming
Spider-Man 1
The Amazing Spider-Man
Spider-Man 3
The Amazing Spider-Man 2

If the new one doesn't come alongside those first two I can't really be arsed with it.  It's already on thin ice by needing me to watch at least one another non-Spidey Marvel film I have no interest in.  Keep them self-contained or fuck off!

Great fun. Top 5 Marvel film. The superhero stuff lends itself to a high school atmosphere, that's why Spiderman is the best Marvel hero, not that the rest of the MCU isn't also great.

Quote from: Replies From View on July 05, 2019, 12:58:31 AM
If the new one doesn't come alongside those first two I can't really be arsed with it.  It's already on thin ice by needing me to watch at least one another non-Spidey Marvel film I have no interest in.  Keep them self-contained or fuck off!

You don't have to see Endgame first if that's what you're referring to. The only relevant plot point (until the end credits scene) is that
Spoiler alert
Iron Man has died.
[close]

colacentral

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on July 05, 2019, 12:59:22 AM
Great fun. Top 5 Marvel film. The superhero stuff lends itself to a high school atmosphere, that's why Spiderman is the best Marvel hero, not that the rest of the MCU isn't also great.

I agree. The first half is a little bit slow but the second half has probably the best Spider-Man action of any of the films, even Spider-Verse; and there's that great trippy scene leading up to it. I didn't think Mysterio could ever work on film; that alone is an astonishing achievement.

It's certainly in the top 3 Spider-Man films alongside Homecoming and Spider-Verse, though where it slots specifically I still can't decide.

I really think Spider-Man 2 is not that good. It was admired at the time because the best comic book films at the time were the likes of Burton's Batman, Superman, and the X-Men series (which has also aged badly). It was remarkable that Doc Ock looked like the comic character, and that the metal arms looked scary rather than goofy.

But the cast, particularly Maguire and Franco, are horrible; the tone is still the same cheesy Raimi tone which housed the power rangers Green Goblin; and the ending with Doc Ock turning good and some sun that's in the water or whatever falls completely flat. The drama with Maguire, Franco and Dunst doesn't work for me either.

I guess it's the third best live action Spider-Man film, fourth best film overall, but that's a low bar looking at what's beneath it. I really don't think Spider-Man 3 is significantly worse; Maguire dancing down the street is standard Raimi and that cheesy tone is there in his first two films.

Timothy

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on July 05, 2019, 12:59:22 AM

Couldnt agree more. Loved this film.

Top 3 Spidey movies:

1. Spiderman Homecoming
2. Spiderman Into the Spiderverse
3. Spiderman Far From Home.

The trippy Mysterio's reality bit was definitely the best scene in a Marvel film

Replies From View

bgmnts

Is this worth a watch over John Wick 3? Does it transcend superhero fatigue that even the mightiest fanboy must be feeling at the moment.

Enrico Palazzo

Thought this was a fuckin joy from start to finish.

druss

Might be that I accidentally watched it in a 2DX cinema which was really fucking offputting but I wasn't keen on this, suffered from the usual shitty bad guy who is bad because he is a baddie problem.

Bazooka

I've not seen it, and could just look it up, but Donnie Darko can conjure up CGI special effects, can they hurt spiderman? Or is it real and meta and he actually exists and made the films effects for pennies?

lipsink

I thought this was an absolute hoot. Loved it.

Though I would've liked it if they'd done 2 things:

I would've like to have seen the friendship between Peter and MJ blossom into an attraction for each other rather than simply opening with Peter infatuated with her. What happened between Homecoming and this? Seems like we missed the interesting part.

Also, it was great to see J. B. Smoove in this but it would've been nicer if they gave them some actual funny lines.

Other than, it was pretty much perfect. The whole trippy Mysterio sequence completely blew me away. In fact, all of Mysterio was fucking great.

Glebe

Actually, I was probably being a little harsh on it in my little mini-review there.... it's good natured fun, but I just maybe wanted a little bit more drama with Mysterio and everything. By the way, I liked the little Marvel Zombies nod (when Peter sees Iron Man coming out of the grave in Mysterio's virtual world!)

Did anyone bother sticking around for the post-credits scene? I didn't (though the mid-credits one was actually a highlight), but discovered through this New Rockstars vid on YouTube that it reveals that Fury and Maria Hill where actually the main skrull guy and his wife from Captain Marvel all along, with Fury taking a wee holiday on their spaceship! This is obviously very satisfying news for New Rockstars' Eric Voss, who has been doing a series of videos entitled 'Skrull Search'!... there's a couple of follow-up videos on there too, but meanwhile, their Easter eggs/details-you-missed breakdown mentions how the use of The Jams' 'Town Called Malice' is probably a nod to it's use in National Lampoon's European Vacation, which didn't occur to me.

colacentral

My predictions about it resulting in everyone hating Spider-Man, and the plot involving Peter handing over Stark tech to Mysterio cos he looks up to him, were pretty much spot on.

My next prediction: Smyth will be one of the villains in the next one, as he's closely tied to JJJ, he's discovered Spider-Man's identity in the comics, and as a robot building villain he could fill the void of Tony Stark as far as providing an explanation for where all these villains get their gadgets. I'd expect a more colourful villain to be in there too though, maybe Norman Osbourne.

I wonder, if they end up doing the green goblin, how they'd approach it. I'd hope they wouldn't do a robot suit like Raimi. Maybe do it as a Hulk-like transformation at will? It's the only way I can picture it working.

phantom_power

Quote from: druss on July 08, 2019, 10:15:31 PM
Might be that I accidentally watched it in a 2DX cinema which was really fucking offputting but I wasn't keen on this, suffered from the usual shitty bad guy who is bad because he is a baddie problem.

I thought he had a pretty interesting motivation, pissed off that Stark was a hero despite being an arsehole and then getting corrupted by the power he had achieved. He did turn quite quickly to allowing loads of people to die but then that's super villains for you. It is more than you get for most comic book villains who just want world domination

[Spoilers]Yeah, I disagree about Mysterio being a traditional motiveless baddie. He just wanted to be famous and globally beloved, and did not mind killing a few people to make that happen. He wasn't trying to destroy the universe for no reason like the standard superhero villain.

Glebe

Oh yeah, and they cut out the entire scene in the trailer where Spidey foils some villains. Also, what's up with 'Flash' Thompson? Apparently his father is supposed to be unwell, and his mum doesn't turn up at the airport to meet him...

Spider-Man: Far From Home's Marisa Tomei Shares Alternate Looks For Aunt May.

A couple of those are really odd, like Aunt May is living in the '80s or summit.

phantom_power

I think the Flash stuff is setting up something for a future film, or just showing why he is such a dick bag

The Culture Bunker

Spoilers and all that: I did suspect Mysterio would turn out not to be from this Earth, and was creating the Elementals via illusion for his own ends, but I liked the reasons. I wasn't sure why his guy at the end decided to blame Spider-Man, as it seemed Beck was a right dick of a boss. Wasn't sure of the ending, but then again, Parker isn't much cop at keeping his Spider-Man identity secret anyways.

bgmnts

Why are people still buying into this? Genuinely couldn't get more than 20 minutes into Homecoming. Am I dead inside or what?

Replies From View

Quote from: bgmnts on July 12, 2019, 02:17:06 AM
Why are people still buying into this?

Buying into Spider-Man or superheroes more generally?

phantom_power

Quote from: bgmnts on July 12, 2019, 02:17:06 AM
Why are people still buying into this? Genuinely couldn't get more than 20 minutes into Homecoming. Am I dead inside or what?

Because they are fun. Because we are finally seeing comic books done justice on the big screen? Not everyone might think that but I presume it is true for the people that are "buying into this". And you aren't dead inside. You just don't like these films. It's fine

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: phantom_power on July 12, 2019, 08:24:51 AM
Because they are fun.
I've doubtless said this before, but this is it for me: I don't go in expecting (or wanting) something to top 'The Seventh Seal' or whatever - I have a bit of fun for a couple of hours, some harmless escapism. And it's also enjoyable to speculate on what will come next.