Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:41:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Counterpart (that thing with JK Simmons)

Started by thraxx, January 15, 2019, 09:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thraxx

Heard lots about this, and I love JK Simmons so I've started watching it. 

About 4 episodes in and the conceit of the series is great, but they so far have done bugger all interesting with it.  Also, it's on a channel called 'Starz' which sounds so awful as to be totally offputting and I can't get used to Simmons playing such a mild character(s).

Is anyone else watching this and what do you reckon then eh?

rasta-spouse

A lot of sci-fi shows generally bring in parallel universes when they get tired of their usual plot lines (Buffy, Quantum Leap had a parallel leaper, Fringe, Lost) and it makes them a lot of fun because you know the universe inside out already. But in Counterpart, because the parallel universe thing is the main meal it's kind of boring.

That's my take from watching about half a series.

olliebean

I stuck with it to the end of season 1, but the last few episodes were a bit of a slog (I only kept going because I was close to the end), so I haven't bothered with season 2. The setup with the parallel universes and the two very different Howards having to switch lives was great, I thought Simmons did a fantastic job with it and the beginning of the series was promising, but by the end it just felt like the setup had run its course and no particularly engaging story had emerged from it.