Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:38:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

True Detective - Season 3

Started by Puce Moment, January 15, 2019, 11:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ja'moke on January 29, 2019, 04:33:59 PM
It could also do with telling us who is locked up for the crime in 1990 by now. Half-way into the series it feels like that mystery should have at least been answered.

Have you seen Lost Highway?

Ja'moke

BlodwynPig

Well this will turn into Lost Highway Meets Lovecraft.

Ja'moke

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 29, 2019, 06:41:44 PM
Well this will turn into Lost Highway Meets Lovecraft.

Ah that could be interesting. I guess I just expect the mystery reveal to be predictable, given how series one ended.

But I'm still enjoying this series because of the performances mainly.

mjwilson

"I have the soul of a whore." You know, that expression that human beings definitely use.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ja'moke on January 29, 2019, 06:46:53 PM
Ah that could be interesting. I guess I just expect the mystery reveal to be predictable, given how series one ended.

But I'm still enjoying this series because of the performances mainly.

As I alluded to earlier, the book in the kids bedroom was "Forests of Leng" (Leng actually being a plateau in one of Lovecraft's tales), and Season 1 having the Yellow King reference, which Lovecraft nabbed for another story. Probably the director is a fan, but it would be nice to have some Eldritch thread running through Season 1 and 3 that ties them together.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: mjwilson on January 29, 2019, 07:31:41 PM
"I have the soul of a whore." You know, that expression that human beings definitely use.

I believe it's an old Southern expression.

Anyway, little underwhelmed by episode 4. Saw the run time and thought we were in for a treat, but it seemed to tread water for the most part. Just as things heat up with the trash man, it ends. Oh.

Hank Venture

So someone is getting sent away for it that they think is innocent in current time. Probably Freddy? Either him or Trash Man. What else? Roland has yet to be shot, Hays has yet to burn the bridge to the police.

Anybody else notice how Tom Purcell had a nice, brown sedan in the 80s timeline, when Roland visited? I half expected them to start fucking, felt the air was thick with repressed homoeroticism in that scene. Was even more sure of it when Roland offfered Tom the couch.

Mobius

Due to the Superbowl this weekend, HBO are releasing the next episode on Friday instead of Monday, so we get episode 5 a few days early!

Crabwalk

Quote from: Hank Venture on January 30, 2019, 11:23:45 PM
Anybody else notice how Tom Purcell had a nice, brown sedan in the 80s timeline, when Roland visited? I half expected them to start fucking, felt the air was thick with repressed homoeroticism in that scene. Was even more sure of it when Roland offfered Tom the couch.

Yes, I definitely felt that too.

rasta-spouse

I feel like the Trash Man plotline is from an inferior show. There's always an oddball/outsider who gets the finger pointed at him, but this is meant to be a postmodern murder/mystery.

Other than that I'm interested to see where the story is going.

Hank Venture

Episode 5 out a few days early. Ali really is fantastic in this.

This is on par woth Season 1 for me. Season 1 had higher highs, but the lows were way, way lower.

Ja'moke

There's a direct reference to Season 1 in this episode. Look out for it when Elisa is interviewing Wayne for the doc.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ja'moke on February 02, 2019, 08:36:28 PM
There's a direct reference to Season 1 in this episode. Look out for it when Elisa is interviewing Wayne for the doc.

Didn't spot it but

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 30, 2019, 12:46:53 AM
As I alluded to earlier, the book in the kids bedroom was "Forests of Leng" (Leng actually being a plateau in one of Lovecraft's tales), and Season 1 having the Yellow King reference, which Lovecraft nabbed for another story. Probably the director is a fan, but it would be nice to have some Eldritch thread running through Season 1 and 3 that ties them together.

I really love the theme music and score for this.

Mobius

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Mobius on February 03, 2019, 06:07:47 AM
That episode was fantastic

Yep, like being dragged slowly into a whirlpool whilst on magic mushrooms.

Ja'moke

My theory at this point is that Julie was taken by her biological father, and that her mother was possibly in on it. Remember back in the second episode, when Wayne and Roland were interviewing the grandparents at the funeral? They suggested that Tom wasn't Julie's real dad, before he cut them off.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 02, 2019, 10:55:53 PM
Didn't spot it but

There was a newspaper article on the laptop screen about detectives closing a case on a serial murderer. The picture below the headline was of Rust Cohle and Marty Hart.

up_the_hampipe

I loved adult Freddy giving the detectives shit after the way they treated him in '80. Hays comes off as more of a callous prick with each episode.

Also, when Amelia took Hays from the hospital and he started undressing in her living room, with the hope she'd join in and have sex. In TV land, it worked, but don't try that at home!

I really loved the final scene between Hays and Roland. Excellent acting and a gripping story, more people need to be watching this.

non capisco

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on February 03, 2019, 06:38:18 PM
I really loved the final scene between Hays and Roland. Excellent acting and a gripping story, more people need to be watching this.

Yes, superb. I was a little dubious about the old man makeup on Dorff in the initial nighttime scene when he was feeding the dogs but from his "Looking good, Purple. Who's the old man with ya?" crack those last scenes were excellent. I wish I could trust Pizzolatto more to not fuck this up but so far, so very good.

Twit 2

Episode 6 another good'un. The paedo cult thing doesn't feel cliched, either, as it's a depressingly common thing in real life and therefore still a good basis for a well-written drama. Can't understand a word of some of the heavily accented/mumbled dialogue, though. Very compelling and beautifully acted, nonetheless. As others have said, the dialogue is incredibly naturalistic. Fair play to Pizz for sharpening up. The way the story has been drip fed is masterful. Almost don't care if it all falls apart or gets too silly, as it's been such enjoyable ride so far.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Twit 2 on February 14, 2019, 11:58:44 PM
Episode 6 another good'un. The paedo cult thing doesn't feel cliched, either, as it's a depressingly common thing in real life and therefore still a good basis for a well-written drama. Can't understand a word of some of the heavily accented/mumbled dialogue, though. Very compelling and beautifully acted, nonetheless. As others have said, the dialogue is incredibly naturalistic. Fair play to Pizz for sharpening up. The way the story has been drip fed is masterful. Almost don't care if it all falls apart or gets too silly, as it's been such enjoyable ride so far.

Apart from the bit where Tom Purcell conveniently overheard the two cops discussing all the significant details he needed to know to advance the plot.

a peepee tipi

Quote from: Ja'moke on February 15, 2019, 12:04:39 AM
Apart from the bit where Tom Purcell conveniently overheard the two cops discussing all the significant details he needed to know to advance the plot.
Yeah, the ending of that last episode is the first I've been disappointed with this so far (worth noting how boring E6 of S1 was while this was still top notch otherwise), especially with them dropping in this episode that Tom is also dead, I thought it'd be less contrived than what we got.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: a peepee tipi on February 15, 2019, 01:13:10 AM
Yeah, the ending of that last episode is the first I've been disappointed with this so far (worth noting how boring E6 of S1 was while this was still top notch otherwise), especially with them dropping in this episode that Tom is also dead, I thought it'd be less contrived than what we got.

Was it revealed he's dead? I thought the producer just said something had happened, like he could be missing with Harris James and Julie.

Ja'moke

It wasn't revealed outright, but I believe that was the implication.

rasta-spouse

I really wish they'd leave you with something more to chew on when they do their cliffhanger endings. That's the 2nd time they've done that (1st was the trashman pre-massacre).

Also that guy left an entire plate of eggs and two sausages and walked off.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: rasta-spouse on February 15, 2019, 01:50:38 PM
I really wish they'd leave you with something more to chew on when they do their cliffhanger endings. That's the 2nd time they've done that (1st was the trashman pre-massacre).

Also that guy left an entire plate of eggs and two sausages and walked off.

My pet hate in films (one for the cliche thread). Leaving most/all of your food or drink to go on an adventure, FUCK OFF WASTEFUL CUNTS

Hank Venture

Quote from: Hank Venture on January 30, 2019, 11:23:45 PM
Anybody else notice how Tom Purcell had a nice, brown sedan in the 80s timeline, when Roland visited? I half expected them to start fucking, felt the air was thick with repressed homoeroticism in that scene. Was even more sure of it when Roland offered Tom the couch.

Called Tom being gay. Up next: How Roland had Tom as a side piece.

Moribunderast

Quote from: Hank Venture on February 16, 2019, 09:03:02 PM
Called Tom being gay. Up next: How Roland had Tom as a side piece.

Haha, I thought of your post when that came up and noticed subsequently that any reference to Tom being gay was followed by an immediate cut to Roland looking uncomfortable or angry. Think you may be right.

I haven't really posted on this thread as I don't have that much to say about the show other than it's been really good. Seems like barely anybody is watching it - I know when I've mentioned it to people at work or at the pub they mostly go "I liked S1 but S2 was terrible" so it really does feel like that misstep killed the show for most. Hopefully good word of mouth will bring some eyeballs to the show after it ends (providing it sticks the landing) because I think it's been great this season. If nothing else, Ali's performance needs to be seen and properly commended. Dorff has impressed and surprised me too.

So is it just the two episodes left now?

BlodwynPig