Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 04:43:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ghostbusters 3: No Chicks Allowed

Started by SteveDave, January 16, 2019, 10:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 20, 2019, 01:14:42 PM
On the subject of deleted Ghostbusters scenes; I can't remember if this was in the original film or the sequel but during a montage, there's a brief shot of some diamonds and a laser.  This was also a snippet taken from a much lengthier deleted scene.

I'm repeating myself from the last GB thread now, but that's actually exactly the same thing. A little bit taken from a longer deleted scene that makes no fucking sense out of context. What the fuck are they doing? Something with lasers and jewellery? Everything smashes and I guess you're supposed to go "those ghostbusters, making a mess again!" but it's not clear at all. It's just something to pad the montage with.

popcorn

Quote from: Glebe on January 21, 2019, 05:49:55 AM
Leslie Jones Has Some Blunt Thoughts About The New Ghostbusters Movie.

I can understand her being annoyed... wasn't too impressed with the reboot though, tbh.

I can imagine the personal affront, but this is going to earn her a world of hurt. Her movie didn't make enough money. Of course she got dropped. Does she think her franchise deserves special treatment?

There's also no official information about the gender balance of the team yet, so her claim of "doing it with men" is jumping to conclusions.

Women eh! They're so emotional.

edit: after a moment's reflection, this outburst from her is so tragically doomed and obviously ill-thought out I regret commenting on it at all. Talk about low-hanging fruit. Poor Leslie Jones.

St_Eddie

Quote from: popcorn on January 21, 2019, 05:56:38 AM
I'm repeating myself from the last GB thread now, but that's actually exactly the same thing. A little bit taken from a longer deleted scene that makes no fucking sense out of context. What the fuck are they doing? Something with lasers and jewellery? Everything smashes and I guess you're supposed to go "those ghostbusters, making a mess again!" but it's not clear at all. It's just something to pad the montage with.

You're not wrong, mate.  In fact, you're very, very right.

BritishHobo

After the endless levels of shit and abuse Leslie Jones took last time, often from people paradoxically complaining about her character being a racial stereotype, I think fuck it, she can say what she wants.

popcorn

Quote from: Glebe on January 21, 2019, 05:49:55 AM
Leslie Jones Has Some Blunt Thoughts About The New Ghostbusters Movie.

I can understand her being annoyed... wasn't too impressed with the reboot though, tbh.

Jones has a lot more invested in the reboot than many. The abuse she got for it was genuinely disgusting. I can see why she'd feel betrayed, particularly as a lot of the reporting of this new movie is gleefully blaming the failure of the reboot on the female team rather than it being an improvised, barely watchable mess.

Obel

At the same time though it is a business. The reboot wasn't made out of some artistic integrity, it was made to cash in on a popular property based on the brand name alone. Was she really that attached to her character that she felt like she needed further development in future films? She's just upset she won't be getting a paycheck.

Custard

Yet it was alright for her to star in a remake of someone else's film, like the people who starred in that no longer existed

Maybe she can do what they did, and make a thirty second unfunny cameo!

Blumf

Quote from: popcorn on January 21, 2019, 05:56:38 AM

Looked like they were dealing with a poltergeist, which was doing poltergeisty type things with some fancy crystal glass shop's stock. Always made sense to me, just a quick look to see that they don't just blast and box ghosts, they have other tools.

Deyv

Quote from: Shameless Custard on January 21, 2019, 09:53:52 AM
Yet it was alright for her to star in a remake of someone else's film, like the people who starred in that no longer existed

Maybe she can do what they did, and make a thirty second unfunny cameo!

Isn't the difference that those films were made in the 80s and there was a very low probability of a third one? Don't think me a fan of the 2016 one, though. I think the point stands that this third one is being made just as cynically. But I can see why Leslie Jones is upset. I agree with Huxleys Babkins about how disgusting the abuse she got was.

Excited to see later-era Bill Murray in this though, which he won't be, to see if he will be as charismatic as he was in the 80s, which he won't be.

madhair60

popcorn

If only we could reboot madhair. He is on the blink.

samadriel

Uh, Kate McKinnon was pretty cool.  That's about it.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Blumf on January 21, 2019, 09:59:25 AM
just a quick look to see that they don't just blast and box ghosts, they have other tools.

Correct! From what I remember reading, it's some kind of weird energy field holding the crystals up and the lasers are used to break through it. They specifically put the scene in because they wanted to show the GBs doing a wider variety of paranormal jobs than just the standard wrangling & trapping of ghosts, but I guess it's cut down & not explained too well (or at all).

madhair60

I like supernatural comedies and a lot of it made me laugh lol :(

phantom_power

Quote from: madhair60 on January 21, 2019, 10:35:43 AM
I like supernatural comedies and a lot of it made me laugh lol :(

Virtue signalling

thraxx

I though the Ghostbusters film with the women in it was a documentary, so imagine how disappointed I feel.

samadriel

madhair60

St_Eddie

People being revolting racists does not excuse the crime against humanity that was the Ghostbusters remake.  My eyes are still bleeding.

For the record, Leslie Jones was the best part of the remake; she was the only character who seemed to be relatively grounded and relatable.

And then she goes and spoils it all by saying something stupid.

Replies From View

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 20, 2019, 02:05:16 PM
SHAMEFUL FACT: As a kid, I wore out of Dad's VHS copy of Blade Runner.  Specifically, the scene where the snake lady gets her knockers out.  Upon realising the degradation of the tape, I hid it at the very back of my Dad's tape collection, praying that he would never find it and choose to give it a rewatch, lest he learn what a filthy little spider monkey his son is.

I bet your Dad was wearing it out at the same time, the dirty old bollocks.  He was secretly praying all his life that you would shoulder the blame.

Kelvin

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 21, 2019, 04:35:47 PM
And then she goes and spoils it all by saying something stupid.

In fairness, it must feel like quite a snub to have your film just overlooked by the people who made it, so soon after it came out. Usually remakes/reboots take a few years to gain renewed traction, but this film still feels very recent and raw. You can see why it would feel quite hurtful and humiliating - even if it's the best thing for the studio and most of the audience*.

*Because the film was apparently shit, not because it starred women.   

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Kelvin on January 21, 2019, 05:33:04 PM
In fairness, it must feel like quite a snub to have your film just overlooked by the people who made it, so soon after it came out. Usually remakes/reboots take a few years to gain renewed traction, but this film still feels very recent and raw. You can see why it would feel quite hurtful and humiliating - even if it's the best thing for the studio and most of the audience*.

*Because the film was apparently shit, not because it starred women.

It must have felt more of a snub for Ernie Hudson to find out that the new GB movie he'd been openly ready & willing to do for decades was finally going ahead but only offering him a quick cameo role not even as his original character (being set in a universe where that character doesn't even exist).  Leslie Jones should have more self-awareness and understand that when people think of this franchise, generally the underwhelming reboot is way down on the list of reasons they remember it at all and I don't see, for example, any of the cast of Robocop 2014 getting all narked over the recently announced upcoming sequel intended to ignore everything but the first movie.

I even liked her performance in the reboot, but her reaction is pretty immature and hypocritical.  As an obsessive geeklord fangirl of the original movies I was really disappointed by the idea that the first official GB film we'd be getting in ~25 years would completely disregard the canon of the previous ones, regardless of who would be involved.  After that I can't bring myself to have much sympathy for anyone upset that this sequel will be undoing the 3-year-old legacy of a mediocre movie no-one asked for.

The Culture Bunker

In a lot of ways, Winston is my favourite character from the original film, as he's just some poor sod looking for a job who's thrown into having to save New York/the World from some other dimensional creature. Plus he has some of the best lines.

Kelvin

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on January 21, 2019, 06:29:09 PM
It must have felt more of a snub for Ernie Hudson to find out that the new GB movie he'd been openly ready & willing to do for decades was finally going ahead but only offering him a quick cameo role not even as his original character (being set in a universe where that character doesn't even exist).  Leslie Jones should have more self-awareness and understand that when people think of this franchise, generally the underwhelming reboot is way down on the list of reasons they remember it at all and I don't see, for example, any of the cast of Robocop 2014 getting all narked over the recently announced upcoming sequel intended to ignore everything but the first movie.

I even liked her performance in the reboot, but her reaction is pretty immature and hypocritical.  As an obsessive geeklord fangirl of the original movies I was really disappointed by the idea that the first official GB film we'd be getting in ~25 years would completely disregard the canon of the previous ones, regardless of who would be involved.  After that I can't bring myself to have much sympathy for anyone upset that this sequel will be undoing the 3-year-old legacy of a mediocre movie no-one asked for.

I just think it's perfectly human to feel a bit of a sting in that situation, regardless of whether it was the right thing to do. She's expressed it publicly rather than smiled for the sakes of PR.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Kelvin on January 21, 2019, 07:18:45 PM
I just think it's perfectly human to feel a bit of a sting in that situation, regardless of whether it was the right thing to do. She's expressed it publicly rather than smiled for the sakes of PR.

It's perfectly human sure, but there's a mature way to handle the situation and comparing it to 'something Trump would do' certainly isn't that.  I'm happy she's speaking her mind & not sugarcoating the response though and it's probably somewhat cathartic after the awful shit she had to put up with during the furore surrounding the last movie.

Avril Lavigne

Worst Ghostbusters Snub of All Time Award must go to Ernie Hudson auditioning for the voice of Winston in The Real Ghostbusters cartoon and not getting it.