Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:40:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ghostbusters 3: No Chicks Allowed

Started by SteveDave, January 16, 2019, 10:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

Go Spusters! (2025) - Absolutely everybody is encouraged to go "spusters".

Replies From View

Goat Basters (2027) - Dan Aykroyd reclaims the franchise again, and if you ask me this one has some kinky overtones.

St_Eddie

Ghost Plasterers

♫  When you need a plasterer, ♫
♫ 'Cause your walls look shed.  ♫
♫  But you want those fuckers to be dead.  ♫

♫  Who you gonna call?  ♫

No, that's shit.  I have nothing.  "Ghost Plasterers".  Honestly!  Pathetic.  Desperate, in fact.

Mister Six

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mister Six on January 25, 2019, 06:08:48 PM
Busting that edit bug.

I have some dust bunnies that a-need a-busting, if you're interested?  £4.50 an hour.

Glebe

popcorn

Isn't it peculiar when anything released online or disseminated as a special feature on something like a blu-ray is described as "rare".

Dex Sawash

St_Eddie

Quote6 Rare & Newly Unearthed Deleted Scenes, including the long-requested Fort Detmerring scenes!

Coo.  I never thought that we'd get to see this scene in full.

St_Eddie

There's a new interview with Dan Aykroyd over at 660 City News...

Quote from: 660 City NewsCanadian Press: Several beverage companies are partnering with licensed cannabis producers to infuse their alcoholic beverages with cannabis. Are you interested?

Dan Aykroyd: The products have yet to be really tested well. I've tasted some of the beverages and they're not that tasty because the CBD oil overrides. If they can get the flavours right, there may be a value there.

CP: Can it work with your vodka?

Aykroyd: With our vodka, we would be adding an oil and that would compromise our purity story so we don't add oils. We go to distribution houses all over the world and they say: "Are you going to do flavours?" And when you say, "No," they get up and cheer.

CP: Will cannabis cut into the beverage market?

Aykroyd: Everyone in the industry is anticipating that there's going to be some kind of hit so at some point you're going to have to marry the CBD and indeed the THC and the beverage, alcohol into something, perhaps a beer that has both in it — a legal level of THC and a legal level of alcohol. Or fruit drinks or something.

CP: Your "Ghostbusters" reboot has taken a long time to come to the screen.

Aykroyd: (Original director) Ivan Reitman's son Jason has written a beautiful script, I can't say too much about it but it's going to get made and hopefully there'll be some familiar faces.... But I don't want to discount the work that the girls did with Paul Feig. I kind of got mad, but I realized I should have blamed myself as a producer, the costs were out of control, I should have been watching as a producer a little more, but you don't dispute with your director.

You hire a director, you trust a director, you trust their vision. But the job that (stars) Kate (McKinnon), and Kristen (Wiig), and Leslie (Jones) and Melissa (McCarthy) did and indeed Paul did on that movie was superior, or superb. We would have done another one but, again, the cost overruns prevented the studio from looking at it and doing another ladies' movie....

Now we're going to do it in a sensible way. Costs will be under control and it'll be brought in for a sensible budget without waste and that's what's important now in getting it made.

CP: What's the budget?

Aykroyd: It's definitely going to be way under $100 (million). I would think. Movies cost a lot today. It can't be $30 (million), $50 (million) would be stretching it. I don't know. Listen, it's going to be as little as we can spend.

CP: Do cost concerns mean less effects or a more naturalist approach?

DA: I'm always urging to use puppets. I'm always urging to go back to the mechanicals. But CGI is so efficient and easy to use but I think that all of us are on board with the idea of maybe doing mechanicals and puppets where we can.

CP: Like the original.

DA: We were harnessed by the technology then. That was all you could do, was puppets and mechanicals and basic opticals. Now you can just do anything.

CP: Could this new one not incorporate the women's story?

Aykroyd: It's so different from even the first and second (film).... This just takes it to a new generation and a new direction that is so warm, heartfelt and indeed, quite scary when you confront some of the issues that are being discussed.

CP: When did you first discuss this with Jason Reitman?

Aykroyd: Just within two years. Although I've written "Ghostbusters High," where they meet in New Jersey in 1969 and we're looking to do that as probably a glorified feature or pilot within the next maybe five years.... And it would lead to a television project and I thought of him immediately for that.

It's on his desk but that's years away from the current project. But it's a neat idea for a prequel. Imagine casting the three characters as teenagers!

CP: So this is a feature for the theatre?

Aykroyd: Way, way down, though we have other stuff after the Jason Reitman-helmed movie. We have at least one or two other concepts for the "Ghostbusters" and then we'll look at doing the prequel, which will be a perfect button on all we've done up to that point.

That prequel idea is horrible.  It's pretty clear in the first movie that the librarian spirit is the first full on ghost that the team have ever seen...

Quote from: GhostbustersPETER: "As a friend I have to tell you: you've finally gone round the bend on this ghost business. You guys have been running your ass off meeting and greeting every schizo in the five boroughs who says he has a paranormal experience. What have you seen?"

RAY: "Of course you forget, Peter, I was present at an undersea, unexplained, mass sponge migration."

PETER: "Ooh, Ray, those sponges migrated about a foot and a half."

Quote from: GhostbustersALICE: "I don't remember seeing any legs, but it definitely had arms because it reached out for me."

RAY:"Arms?! I can't wait to get a look at this thing!"

Quote from: GhostbustersRAY: "A full torso apparition, and it's real!"

Quote from: GhostbustersRAY: "Wasn't it incredible, Pete? I mean, we actually touched the etheric plane."

Furthermore, even if they could somehow handwave that away (an all-powerful ghost that causes memory loss or some such bollocks), who would want to watch a Ghostbusters TV series without the iconic logo or the titular heroes wearing their outfits and wielding proton packs?

Ferris

The only ghost I want to see is the ghost of the Ghostbusters franchise. Sick of it, and it wasn't even that good.

St_Eddie

I wish that they'd leave it be too but the first movie is outstanding, so says I.  The problem is that it was lightning in a bottle; all of the right people coming together at the right time, when they were at the apex of their creative talents.  You can't replicate that kind of magic, much less decades after the fact.

olliebean

I reckon I'd watch a series that was just Venkman, Stantz and Zeddemore living together as grumpy old men with Slimer. Absolutely nothing to do with ghosts except that Slimer happens to be living with them. Slimer is just treated like a perfectly normal pet. Just to be clear, it's not about Slimer in the slightest, he just happens to be there.

St_Eddie

Quote from: olliebean on May 23, 2019, 10:51:14 AM
Absolutely nothing to do with ghosts except that Slimer happens to be living with them. Slimer is just treated like a perfectly normal pet.

So, The Real Ghostbusters then?

Quote from: olliebean on May 23, 2019, 10:51:14 AMJust to be clear, it's not about Slimer in the slightest, he just happens to be there.

Oh, so not The Real Ghostbusters then.

Replies From View

I'll take the first film, the handful of good Real Ghostbusters episodes and the toys I collected as a kid.

Beyond all that, there is no "franchise".

The IDW comics have been alright. Maybe not enough meat on the bones on some of the stories, but there's some good character development for Janine and Winston in particular and some really nice fan service going on.

If you want more Ghostbusters and for it to not be utter shit, I'd suggest checking those out.

i put Slimer in the same category as Orko and Snarf. They should me a spin-off with those three.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on May 23, 2019, 11:06:56 AM
The IDW comics have been alright. Maybe not enough meat on the bones on some of the stories, but there's some good character development for Janine and Winston in particular and some really nice fan service going on.

Huh, well at least Winston wasn't shortchanged in the comics, like he was in the movies.  I just hope that Ernie Hudson got paid for the use of his likeness.

Replies From View

How accurate was the likeness?  If "not very" then I imagine he'd have been paid about as much as he got from the Real Ghostbusters one.

greenman

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 23, 2019, 10:36:47 AM
I wish that they'd leave it be too but the first movie is outstanding, so says I.  The problem is that it was lightning in a bottle; all of the right people coming together at the right time, when they were at the apex of their creative talents.  You can't replicate that kind of magic, much less decades after the fact.

I think its one of those films that exploits a comic concept to the full as well not leaving much room for a sequel to do anything that original, Austin Powers and Men In Black being similar situations(if lesser films). Different to something like say Bill and Ted that left more room for the sequel to play around with the concept and characters.

Quote from: Replies From View on May 23, 2019, 12:14:53 PM
How accurate was the likeness?  If "not very" then I imagine he'd have been paid about as much as he got from the Real Ghostbusters one.

They didn't use the actors' likenesses at all. They drew the characters close enough to be recognisable, but not close enough to need to pay anyone any money.

There were also guest covers where they drew them in a more realistic style and, again, they didn't go anywhere near the actors.

St_Eddie

State of those fucking subtitles.

Quote from: Replies From View on May 23, 2019, 12:14:53 PM

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on May 23, 2019, 12:27:20 PM
They didn't use the actors' likenesses at all. They drew the characters close enough to be recognisable, but not close enough to need to pay anyone any money.

Poor Ernie Hudson.  He just cannae catch a break.  He auditioned for the role of Winston in The Real Ghostbusters.  Yes, they actually made him audition for the role which he had already played in the movie.  In their infinite wisdom, they then decided not to cast him.  Ernie ain't earning much.

He's a great actor.  His performance in this scene in The Hand that Rocks The Cradle never fails to make me well up.

Mister Six

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 23, 2019, 12:58:15 PM
Poor Ernie Hudson.  He just cannae catch a break. 

Hey, he got to appear in Twin Peaks: The Return, aka the greatest televisual achievement of the 21st century.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mister Six on May 23, 2019, 02:23:22 PM
Hey, he got to appear in Twin Peaks: The Return, aka the greatest televisual achievement of the 21st century.

Aw, that's nice to hear.  I haven't got around to watching the third season yet.  I'm saving it for a special occasion, so that I can truly savour it.

popcorn

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 23, 2019, 03:00:25 PM
Aw, that's nice to hear.  I haven't got around to watching the third season yet.  I'm saving it for a special occasion, so that I can truly savour it.

Ooh, do watch it Eddie, we all reckon it's good and nice.

St_Eddie

Quote from: popcorn on May 23, 2019, 03:06:13 PM
Ooh, do watch it Eddie, we all reckon it's good and nice.

Oh, I absolutely will but I've got to choose the right time because it's going to be a huge timesink, as I need to give myself a refresher course on seasons 1 and 2 first, given that I haven't watched them in donkey's years.

Mister Six

Honestly, the links to the first two seasons are fairly minimal (though almost all the classic cast make appearances) and it's very different in tone (full-bore post-Lost Highway David Lynch, rather than slightly compromising for network TV Wild at Heart-era Lynch) so you could probably get away with just watching the last couple of episodes of season two and Fire Walk With Me.

That said, the first season and the first half of the second season are magnificent, and Fire Walk With Me (which is essential) is even more so, so yeah - maybe wait till you have the time. I watched a couple of episodes a week in the run up to The Return; it works nicely like that, I think.

Some day I'll find the time to make a fan edit of the second half of season two that cuts out or trims down the shit.

Shaky

Not a massive surprise after that recent casting leak but Sigourney Weaver has just confirmed her participation in the new sequel... and it's sounding like Murray is probably on board as well.

Chances of this working are pretty slim yet I'm excited.

Golden E. Pump

Ernie Hudson's best role was Leo Glynn in Oz. He was superb in that.