Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,491
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:05:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ghostbusters 3: No Chicks Allowed

Started by SteveDave, January 16, 2019, 10:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on October 10, 2021, 10:21:04 PM
Adam Savage from Mythbusters was gushing over it, after seeing it at Comicon, so I guess that's a good thing, but had my money on this being a massive stinker

He has an ongoing Youtube series were he's visiting the set and doing behind the scenes interviews with pretty much everyone who worked on the movie so uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ant Farm Keyboard

The marketing is all about nostalgia. The trailer is about reverence for the original, and the new characters look like they've just popped out of a Stranger Things spin-off, which is itself an exercise in nostalgia. It's the very thing that dads in their 40s like to watch with their kids as an introduction to the "great" films like The Goonies, Explorers, Stand By Me or Ghostbusters they grew up with.

colacentral

Limmy hit the nail on the head when he said it looks like "character development shite." There'll be some abuse throughline, "my dad died," someone will say a teary goodbye to a ghost of someone they know. It's always stuff like this now, isn't it.

Shaky

Most of the reviews suggest this has (at least a bit) more to offer than simple nostalgia - which obviously the marketing is leaning heavily on - so I'm reasonably confident it will be... quite good? The first hour is apparently character building, which I'm fine with. Shows some sort of dedication to making a decent film.

chveik

if they really were going for nostalgia, they'd show ghosts sucking people off

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: chveik on October 11, 2021, 02:20:15 AM

men only want one thing and it's DISGUSTING

13 schoolyards

I wonder how far Hollywood can take a franchise from its origins and still have audiences accept it. The first Ghostbusters was a bunch of established comedy performers smoking away in New York cracking wise and battling blowjob ghosts; this is a bunch of retro nostalgia kids in the countryside discovering that mildly spooky shit is real and stealing their granddad's car, but it's still "Ghostbusters".

When Disney get around to buying Sony they'll probably re-release Titanic but rename it Ghostbusters: The Early Years, say it's a prequel to Ghostbusters 2 and make a quick $200 million worldwide

Custard

There's the quote for the poster!

olliebean

If they're going

If they really were going for character development, they'd show how Ray's subsequent life had been shaped by the psychological fallout of having been sucked off by a ghost.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on October 11, 2021, 04:25:06 AM
I wonder how far Hollywood can take a franchise from its origins and still have audiences accept it. The first Ghostbusters was a bunch of established comedy performers smoking away in New York cracking wise and battling blowjob ghosts; this is a bunch of retro nostalgia kids in the countryside discovering that mildly spooky shit is real and stealing their granddad's car, but it's still "Ghostbusters".

When Disney get around to buying Sony they'll probably re-release Titanic but rename it Ghostbusters: The Early Years, say it's a prequel to Ghostbusters 2 and make a quick $200 million worldwide
I tend to agree. All these sorts of movies seem to fundamentally misunderstand what people liked about the originals.

Bad Ambassador

I've seen reviews that suggest the film is
Spoiler alert
VERY light on comedy and doesn't feature any ghosts until the halfway mark
[close]
, as well as being more than two hours long. All of which makes me wonder who this is supposed to be aimed at.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on October 11, 2021, 04:21:44 PM
Spoiler alert
[close]
, as well as being more than two hours long. All of which makes me wonder who this is supposed to be aimed at.

It's got Paul Rudd and a bunch of kids so it's definitely aimed at the kid and young adult market. Also Ghostbusters fanboys who are middle aged and also anyone who hated the idea of an all female Ghostbusters. Basically everyone in America and China by the looks of it.

Bad Ambassador

No ghosts allowed in Chinese films. In fact that means they might be in favour of Ghostbusters, as they're in line with cultural policy. So much for them being a libertarian metaphor.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Shaky on October 11, 2021, 02:02:47 AM
it will be... quite good?

1* in the Guardian (not Peter Bradshaw by the way) but a quick glance at google has it at around 70% to 80%. I'm not excited by this in the least and I've been to the cinema 10 times in the last few weeks. It just seems so redundant with the original Ghostbusters on Netflix.

I don't think it's aimed at me because I'm not a fanboy and I've never been mad about Paul Rudd, except for his running joke on Conan of course.

wooders1978

Should do a non binary version for once

Replies From View

just have one with no humans in it and only ghosts

frajer

Many ghosts and one human. "I'm living in nosh central."

Replies From View

Quote from: frajer on October 11, 2021, 10:00:32 PM
Many ghosts and one human. "I'm living in nosh central."

Brilliant puns like "I AM CURRENTLY EATING GHOULASH"

Replies From View

I've decided to suddenly say that I had this annual.  Anyone else?

Mister Six

Nope, but I was given a VHS of a couple of episodes of the Filmation Ghostbusters for my birthday one year by a misguided aunt, and me and my pals were absolutely baffled as to why there was suddenly a bloody gorilla driving a jalopy, rather than four New Yorkers in the coolest ambulance ever.

Watching the intro again, it's even worse than I remember. Totally charmless, horrible to listen to and communicating nothing about the show. "The Real" Ghostbusters intro, on the other hand...

Goldentony

dont recall PRIMEVIL sucking the ape off in the video I watched

mothman

The Guardian's review is pretty brutal!

Chedney Honks

I haven't read the Guardian in many years and don't intend to read that review but my negligible interest in the film is galvanised if those scumbags don't like it. I really hope it does well and many fans go into a spiral of despair.

Fans are mulch. It's not enough to simply enjoy something, your identity must be symbiotically merged with the shit you like, ideally with a fucking tattoo as proof.

Aw man, that is so depressing when you see people with zelda tattoos and shit. It's like they're saying "Most folk grow as people through their lives and change so much that they'll look back at their old selves, sometimes in as short as 5 or 10 years time and that person is almost unrecognisable, but me, that's it, I'm done growing. This'll be me now until I die. I have reached peak zelda fan, my sole defining characteristic. Time for the tattoo."

What's wrong with the guardian? I stay out of politics in that sense, and don't read newspapers, but I know they each have their own agenda to push. Did they do something unforgivable?

popcorn

The film is going to suck and so are all the fans. We're all going to suck really hard together.

Replies From View

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on October 12, 2021, 11:10:46 AM
Aw man, that is so depressing when you see people with zelda tattoos and shit. It's like they're saying "Most folk grow as people through their lives and change so much that they'll look back at their old selves, sometimes in as short as 5 or 10 years time and that person is almost unrecognisable, but me, that's it, I'm done growing. This'll be me now until I die. I have reached peak zelda fan, my sole defining characteristic. Time for the tattoo."

What's wrong with the guardian? I stay out of politics in that sense, and don't read newspapers, but I know they each have their own agenda to push. Did they do something unforgivable?

Get a guardian tattoo then if you marry it so hard

olliebean

Quote from: Mister Six on October 12, 2021, 12:47:21 AM
Nope, but I was given a VHS of a couple of episodes of the Filmation Ghostbusters for my birthday one year by a misguided aunt, and me and my pals were absolutely baffled as to why there was suddenly a bloody gorilla driving a jalopy, rather than four New Yorkers in the coolest ambulance ever.

Watching the intro again, it's even worse than I remember. Totally charmless, horrible to listen to and communicating nothing about the show. "The Real" Ghostbusters intro, on the other hand...

The original (accept no substitutes): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBZCUiR7Iq8&t=65s

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on October 11, 2021, 04:21:44 PM
Spoiler alert
[close]
It seems to be getting compared to Stranger Things and Super 8 so I assume it's going for family adventure nostalgia, parents explaining to the kids what life was like in the olden days when there were ghosts that needed busting and everyone drove hearses through fields. It's not set in the past, is it? It just feels like it?

Pancake

Never going to see this infantile shit but I'd be less annoyed by its existence if it was called like Afterlife or something, own it's own space in the world but pertained to Ghostbusters, that's a nice formula actually, like how Prometheus is clearly an Alien film without being Aliens: Afterlife or whatever (I'm aware that Alien: Covenant kind of fucked up that nice little separate arc)