Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:22:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Britain's Worst Standups

Started by Mark Steels Stockbroker, January 16, 2019, 11:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Steels Stockbroker

90s band Altern8 boasted they had VapoRub in the masks they wore in their stage outfits. Maybe they started the whole business.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Mark Steels Stockbroker on January 17, 2019, 10:49:08 PM
Wasn't Kate Smurthwaite banned by students once?

I believe so. She's certainly made a lot of enemies in the comedy world.

Although I've not seen the episode that icehaven mentioned, I've heard she's snobby and patronizing towards working class people. 

Bronzy

Janey Godley.

https://twitter.com/bbcscotland/status/1063875166889865216

This video basically sums up why I hate a lot of Scottish comedy, thank god Limmy evens it up a little.

Ferris

Quote from: Dusty Substance on January 20, 2019, 02:52:26 AM
I believe so. She's certainly made a lot of enemies in the comedy world.

Although I've not seen the episode that icehaven mentioned, I've heard she's snobby and patronizing towards working class people.

Her Wikipedia page is pretty funny, definitely edits it herself. Sold 8 tickets at a student union gig then got canceled for not being woke enough. Funniest thing she's ever done.

dex

Johnny Vegas, Kate Smurthwaite, Russell Howard, Both Brands, Michael Mcintyre and of course Corden. We didn't start the fire etc...

c

Quote from: imitationleather on January 19, 2019, 02:09:17 PM
I consider myself to have taken ecstasy more than the average person over the course of my lifetime and I have never, ever heard that before.

Tough crowd.

I have heard of the Vics trick. I have even tried it, more than two decades ago. Amyl worked better.

But I've never heard of George Ezra

Quote from: c on January 20, 2019, 08:10:55 AM
But I've never heard of George Ezra

Really thinks he's someone.

St_Eddie

Seriously though, who the fuck is George Ezra?!

Bobtoo

Say whay you like about Chubby Brown, he's a skilled ventriloquist.

https://youtu.be/Pz8pQbyF7b8?t=103

olliebean

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 20, 2019, 12:26:02 PM
Seriously though, who the fuck is George Ezra?!

Zippy Sheeran's best mate.

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

I'm gifting this one to you, people.

Maurice Yeatman

No mentions for the subject of the ancient [Redacted] - She's Shit thread. I'm glad she won the forum over.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on January 20, 2019, 01:34:48 PM
No mentions for the subject of the ancient [Redacted] - She's Shit thread. I'm glad she won the forum over.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 17, 2019, 10:56:13 AM
Clare Harrison

Unless you meant someone else?

idunnosomename

Angela Barnes has taken radio 4 comedy to a new low, if that's possible. The hackiest material you can imagine (e.g. bait and switch about dieting and food), and she literally SHOUTS constantly.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 20, 2019, 01:44:22 PM
Unless you meant someone else?

Someone else. Thread was 12 years ago.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on January 20, 2019, 01:57:51 PM
Someone else. Thread was 12 years ago.

Ah, well before my time.  On this forum, I mean.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 20, 2019, 01:56:56 PM
Angela Barnes has taken radio 4 comedy to a new low, if that's possible. The hackiest material you can imagine (e.g. bait and switch about dieting and food), and she literally SHOUTS constantly.

That's a pity. Saw her live when she was new to the circuit and was really great.

thenoise

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on January 20, 2019, 01:34:48 PM

The lady ventriloquist? Barely even a comedian.

Or crappy shappi? Main joke being 'rubbish at just a minute'.

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 20, 2019, 01:56:56 PM

preferable to her 'my dad was a bit of a character!' gear tbf

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: thenoise on January 20, 2019, 04:06:09 PM
The lady ventriloquist? Barely even a comedian.

Or crappy shappi? Main joke being 'rubbish at just a minute'.

Neither. To be fair, the thread was a long time ago.

magval

magval

site:cookdandbombd.co.uk she's-shit

Type that into Google (the search engine Google I mean)

St_Eddie

Quote from: magval on January 20, 2019, 05:52:31 PM
site:cookdandbombd.co.uk she's-shit

Type that into Google (the search engine Google I mean)

Well, that was disappointing.  Like George Ezra, I've never even heard of her.

Sebastian Cobb

She's going on about parenthood like she fucking invented it.

Ferris

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 20, 2019, 05:56:29 PM
Well, that was disappointing.  Like George Ezra, I've never even heard of her.

I saw her a few times in Edinburgh - the 2nd time she just died. Like... she was acknowledging how poorly she was doing and how she'd have to go and rewrite the whole show because there was a month to go before the festival ended. She apologized and that was the end of her set.

I still like her though. Very endearing and nice, I want nothing but good things for her. I don't think she's a bad standup, but a lot of her stuff is based on her persona and being likeable so I could see how she would be divisive.

Edit: thinking back, I enjoyed the show she thought needed to be rewritten as did the people I was with. That was weird in hindsight.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 20, 2019, 06:02:54 PM
I saw her a few times in Edinburgh - the 2nd time she just died. Like... she was acknowledging how poorly she was doing and how she'd have to go and rewrite the whole show because there was a month to go before the festival ended. She apologized and that was the end of her set.

I still like her though. Very endearing and nice, I want nothing but good things for her. I don't think she's a bad standup, but a lot of her stuff is based on her persona and being likeable so I could see how she would be divisive.

On paper I like her, agree with her views and liked Super November, but sadly can't find her very funny or entertaining. I'd like to.

dex

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 20, 2019, 06:00:32 PM
She's going on about parenthood like she fucking invented it.

Bit like Ben Elton then.