Author Topic: Two Doors Down  (Read 1036 times)

Two Doors Down
« on: January 16, 2019, 01:30:09 PM »
No love for this? Series 4 is currently airing.

I think it's great Doon Mackichan seems to get most attention but I think Elaine C Smith is hilarious in this.

James Macavoy's Sister Joy is in this series, she's lovely!

Blinder Data

• Use your library
Re: Two Doors Down
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 04:15:56 PM »
The only episode I've seen all the way through was S04E01, 'Anniversary'. It was pretty funny actually, replicated the awkwardness of family parties very well. Was expecting the ending to tie it all together a bit more but still, good stuff. 6/10

Jockice

• I really have red hair. And a **********.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 05:25:18 PM »
I'd managed not even not to see it but not to have even heard of it until last week when I caught part of an episode while flicking channels. It was decent I thought. Not a must-see but I'll probably watch it again if I'm at a loose end when it's on.

Malcy

• This is a Post Office isn't it?
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 07:13:34 PM »
One of the best Scottish comedies in a long time. I usually make a thread but didn't get round to it this year. Been watching since the Hogmany pilot a few years back. Love it. The son is a pain the arse though. Doon's character is just brilliant. Great cast. Can see it running for a few series yet and nice to see BBC Scotland through money at comedy that isn't Still Game.

Malcy

• Twitter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 10:42:58 PM »
Cracking episode this week. Laughed all the way through. Last week's was only ok. Rare in this series to have an only average episode. Christine still gets the best lines. Asking Ian & Gordon 'does it 'hurt'?

Eric's response to him enjoying Taggart. 'Aye it was alright'. The independence argument was very accurate. Been in a few of them. I thought that Sharon Rooney would have came back for an episode or two by now. I think she only appeared in the first series.

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 12:02:15 AM »
Excellent series, very funny. A shame that it’s the only genuinely funny thing BBC Scotland are producing these days.

Still Game is sadly woeful these days. Limmy doesn’t get a new TV series despite his immense social media presence (the old-hat management at BBC refusing to get with the times and tap into the zeitgeist I think).

They need to do a lot more. Just look at the Hogmanay line up - it’s literally the same old tired comedy shows that have been on for years.

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 08:26:44 AM »
Cracking episode this week. Laughed all the way through. Last week's was only ok. Rare in this series to have an only average episode. Christine still gets the best lines. Asking Ian & Gordon 'does it 'hurt'?

Eric's response to him enjoying Taggart. 'Aye it was alright'. The independence argument was very accurate. Been in a few of them. I thought that Sharon Rooney would have came back for an episode or two by now. I think she only appeared in the first series.

She was in the first two.  As I remember it, they wrote her out by explaining she and her boyfriend had moved to Wales.

gilbertharding

• Not even the rudest man in the Beatles
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 10:19:49 AM »
Not - I SAID NOT! - to be confused with this: https://www.comedy.co.uk/radio/two_doors_down/ which is currently being repeated on Radio 4 Extra, and is shit.

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 06:17:19 PM »
Also worth noting Grado has made a pretty good transition from wrestler to actor in this series. (I know he's been in other stuff but this has got to be his most prominent role so far). Last night's was the best episode of the series in my opinion

Malcy

• Twitter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 06:46:27 PM »
Last week still my favourite but I really laughed at Christine's 'I can hear some of Eric's farts' comment when discussing hearing your neighbours. Grado is quite good in this and Scot Squad.

Malcy

• Twitter
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 10:38:42 PM »
Brilliant episode. Christine shouting Bargain Hunt at the TV and then shouting 'subtitles' into the remote when Louise came round.

"Do you have a boyfriend Louise"?
"She's seeing someone".
"Just as well, because you cannae fucking hear them"!

Can see this running for a while. Really well written. Nice to see Cathy getting a well deserved slap!

Rizla

• That's not another knife - THIS is another knife!
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 10:06:45 AM »
That episode was a bit off, if you ask me. It felt like the writers decided Cathy needed some comeuppance but, it needed to be from someone outside of the main cast, and the whole thing felt contrived, with the deaf lass and the daquiri on the rug and Michelle's over-reaction. I dunno, I really felt they threw Cathy under the bus there, she lost all the audience's sympathy. Under sitcom rules, she should be allowed to increase her levels of awfulness each episode but still avoid any meaningful consequences. Same goes for Eric being caught pissing in the garden, that could have been played for a much bigger laugh instead of him just getting a telling off from Beth. Apart from some great moments like awed reaction to the telly going on, the chat on the decking, I came away from that one a bit disappointed.