Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:21:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Two Doors Down

Started by chrispmartha, January 16, 2019, 01:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrispmartha

No love for this? Series 4 is currently airing.

I think it's great Doon Mackichan seems to get most attention but I think Elaine C Smith is hilarious in this.

James Macavoy's Sister Joy is in this series, she's lovely!

Blinder Data

The only episode I've seen all the way through was S04E01, 'Anniversary'. It was pretty funny actually, replicated the awkwardness of family parties very well. Was expecting the ending to tie it all together a bit more but still, good stuff. 6/10

Jockice

I'd managed not even not to see it but not to have even heard of it until last week when I caught part of an episode while flicking channels. It was decent I thought. Not a must-see but I'll probably watch it again if I'm at a loose end when it's on.

Malcy

One of the best Scottish comedies in a long time. I usually make a thread but didn't get round to it this year. Been watching since the Hogmany pilot a few years back. Love it. The son is a pain the arse though. Doon's character is just brilliant. Great cast. Can see it running for a few series yet and nice to see BBC Scotland through money at comedy that isn't Still Game.

Malcy

Cracking episode this week. Laughed all the way through. Last week's was only ok. Rare in this series to have an only average episode. Christine still gets the best lines. Asking Ian & Gordon 'does it 'hurt'?

Eric's response to him enjoying Taggart. 'Aye it was alright'. The independence argument was very accurate. Been in a few of them. I thought that Sharon Rooney would have came back for an episode or two by now. I think she only appeared in the first series.

MattD

Excellent series, very funny. A shame that it's the only genuinely funny thing BBC Scotland are producing these days.

Still Game is sadly woeful these days. Limmy doesn't get a new TV series despite his immense social media presence (the old-hat management at BBC refusing to get with the times and tap into the zeitgeist I think).

They need to do a lot more. Just look at the Hogmanay line up - it's literally the same old tired comedy shows that have been on for years.

Quote from: Malcy on January 28, 2019, 10:42:58 PM
Cracking episode this week. Laughed all the way through. Last week's was only ok. Rare in this series to have an only average episode. Christine still gets the best lines. Asking Ian & Gordon 'does it 'hurt'?

Eric's response to him enjoying Taggart. 'Aye it was alright'. The independence argument was very accurate. Been in a few of them. I thought that Sharon Rooney would have came back for an episode or two by now. I think she only appeared in the first series.

She was in the first two.  As I remember it, they wrote her out by explaining she and her boyfriend had moved to Wales.

gilbertharding

Not - I SAID NOT! - to be confused with this: https://www.comedy.co.uk/radio/two_doors_down/ which is currently being repeated on Radio 4 Extra, and is shit.

ian01604

Also worth noting Grado has made a pretty good transition from wrestler to actor in this series. (I know he's been in other stuff but this has got to be his most prominent role so far). Last night's was the best episode of the series in my opinion

Malcy

Last week still my favourite but I really laughed at Christine's 'I can hear some of Eric's farts' comment when discussing hearing your neighbours. Grado is quite good in this and Scot Squad.

Malcy

Brilliant episode. Christine shouting Bargain Hunt at the TV and then shouting 'subtitles' into the remote when Louise came round.

"Do you have a boyfriend Louise"?
"She's seeing someone".
"Just as well, because you cannae fucking hear them"!

Can see this running for a while. Really well written. Nice to see Cathy getting a well deserved slap!

Rizla

That episode was a bit off, if you ask me. It felt like the writers decided Cathy needed some comeuppance but, it needed to be from someone outside of the main cast, and the whole thing felt contrived, with the deaf lass and the daquiri on the rug and Michelle's over-reaction. I dunno, I really felt they threw Cathy under the bus there, she lost all the audience's sympathy. Under sitcom rules, she should be allowed to increase her levels of awfulness each episode but still avoid any meaningful consequences. Same goes for Eric being caught pissing in the garden, that could have been played for a much bigger laugh instead of him just getting a telling off from Beth. Apart from some great moments like awed reaction to the telly going on, the chat on the decking, I came away from that one a bit disappointed.

Virgo76

Enjoying the new series. Hopefully it won't prove to be the last.
Was puzzled by the episode in which Eric turns out to have appeared briefly on a record of a 1970s Billy Connolly show (I don't think anyone would count this as a spoiler).
I've not heard the original recording of the performance.
Was actor Alex Norton's voice added to the recording creating a fictional bit of audience interaction which we hear in the programme?
Did Alex Norton actually genuinely appear on the recording as an audience member himself at the time?
Did some unknown member of the audience do it, leaving Two Doors Down free to say it was Eric?

Ignatius_S

Norton and Connolly have been friends for more than 50 years and worked together in the 1970s in stage shows; when the latter started doing drama again in the 1990s, there's at least two things he was in that Norton featured in the supporting cast. Also, stand-ups do use plants in the audience.

I haven't watched the episode, but suspect it would be Norton for real. If it isn't, then I would say it's an original recording with someone else - faking it seems a lot of effort but as I say, haven't watched it.

Virgo76

Quote from: Ignatius_S on November 27, 2023, 09:01:17 AMNorton and Connolly have been friends for more than 50 years and worked together in the 1970s in stage shows; when the latter started doing drama again in the 1990s, there's at least two things he was in that Norton featured in the supporting cast. Also, stand-ups do use plants in the audience.

I haven't watched the episode, but suspect it would be Norton for real. If it isn't, then I would say it's an original recording with someone else - faking it seems a lot of effort but as I say, haven't watched it.
Interesting- thanks. I had no idea they knew each other.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Virgo76 on November 27, 2023, 09:19:09 AMInteresting- thanks. I had no idea they knew each other.

Yeah, so from what you have said, it sounds like a nice little in-joke!  Do you know whereabouts the bit it was in the episode? I still need to watch the previous series (it's on the list...) but very intrigued by this.

I have a few Connolly albums from the 1970s, which my dad gave me but they're on tape, so haven't heard them in ages. Been meaning to try and get them on another format as have very nice memories and think they're just great.

Glebe

Was amazed to discover that's Alex Norton as McAngus in The Black Adder's 'Born to be King'.

According to Wiki:

QuoteIn 2005, Norton was presented with the opportunity to play a part in Peter Jackson's King Kong; however, he could not accept the offer because it happened to interfere with the TV project he was working on at the time.

I've only watched a handful of TTT episodes but I do like it. Warm and witty and a great cast. I knew co-creator Simon Carlyle had passed away, didn't know there was a new series though. Must see about watching it from the start!

Jonathan Watson's appearance on This Time with Alan Partridge was great.

Presumably this will be the last series... a Gregor Fisher cameo would have been nice, would love to see him reunited with Elaine C. Smith. Most recently he appeared in series 2 of Gold's The Cockfields replacing the late Bobby Ball.

Quote from: Ignatius_S on November 27, 2023, 11:03:15 AMDo you know whereabouts the bit it was in the episode?

Episode 5 - 26.30mins

Rizla

Quote from: Ignatius_S on November 27, 2023, 09:01:17 AMNorton and Connolly have been friends for more than 50 years and worked together in the 1970s in stage shows
He was in the Great Northern Welly Boot show for sure - shame there doesn't seem to be much record of that show, apart from the odd picture.

Speaking of, I watched the Play For Today version of The Cheviot, the Stag and the Black Black Oil recently and really enjoyed it. Norton and Bill Paterson are great in it, must have been amazing to see it in the little village halls when they toured it.

lauraxsynthesis

A few years back Alex Norton sat in the same row as me at a Sondheim musical in London. I wanted to tell him how much I revered how awesome he was in Comrades (1986) but was too star-struck. He played 14 characters in that. Absolute legend. 

Rizla

They've chucked that in, it's not on the original record (which I have somewhere - its got a lovely gatefold with a big grainy photo of hungover Billy at the Irn Bru).

Anyway, when he says "The Bears are here tonight" he's surely referring to a bunch of fans of the now-defunct Glasgow football club Rangers FC, hence the shout of "ya big eejit" that comes after.