Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:51:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Having a Shit Back Because You're Old and Shit

Started by DrGreggles, January 16, 2019, 03:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Shit, isn't it.

Just been to see my osteopath*, who essentially takes it from painful to sore for a while until the pain returns. A bargain at just 40 quid an hour**!
To think that I used to take things like putting socks on for granted.
Fuck, I hate getting old...

*yes, I'm so old that I have an osteopath
**luckily I have cover for it, otherwise it'd be costing me 2k a year

SteveDave

O yes. Since something weird happened to my back in September I've been in almost constant agony. Sitting down makes it worse so my day job of a chair tester is a nightmare.

I'm also getting very low on my ultra high codeine and paracetamol tablets. I might switch to heroin when they're all gone.

Twed

I thought you meant "having a shit back" in the same sense as "having a parcel returned". Like you'd done a shit and it had to be returned to you for some old person reason.

Jittlebags

Aye, I thought it was cacky back related after a bout of bubbly crop-spraying.

MiddleRabbit

I'm off with my recurrent bad back now.  Sometimes it just seems to conk out for no apparent reason, others it's from something relatively minor like wiping my arse.

When it's bad It tends to just be generally uncomfortable, whether sitting, standing or lying down.  Then there's the odd spasm which is very unpleasant.

This time, the doctor prescribed codeine, which is alright, except coming off it brings the worst out in me - beyond ratty, more looking for something to shout at, which is shit for all concerned.

The worst back related trauma I've experienced was about ten years ago when, it turned out, one of my ribs popped out of my back.  It was like being chopped in half, you know like Darth Maul or something.  I just collapsed .  Poleaxed, I suppose. 

Currently, it appears to be affecting my hip on the left which makes me think I might now be getting arthritic.

Age, eh?  Wonderful stuff.

Buelligan

Consider taking up something like Viniyoga with a qualified teacher.  Back pain is often, not always of course, related to posture.  We have a way of compensating by twisting ourselves more and more towards the pain, folding down on it, I suppose, which pulls all our other bits into the wrong place.  Gently unfolding yourself and spacing out your bones and muscles back to their natural positions can help immeasurably.  Good mattress too.  Posture, mate.

Flouncer

St_Eddie

Sin Agog

I once doubled-up in pain on the grass after trying to keep up with my half-sister (who's 30 years younger than me), and my cunty stepmother took the opportunity to start ranting at me about how it was all due to being vegan and this was bound to happen.  It was actually because of one of the new home-made exercises I'd been doing.  Anyway, they ended up driving away leaving me there flailing on the ground for hours.  Never really had back pain since, though my brother's recently had a sciatica operation, which is probably due to being a reformed skateboarder.

Replies From View

Quote from: Twed on January 16, 2019, 03:48:52 PM
I thought you meant "having a shit back" in the same sense as "having a parcel returned". Like you'd done a shit and it had to be returned to you for some old person reason.

Yeah I was going to say "once it's flushed I'm okay with the recipient keeping it, thanks".

kngen

It's my ankles that do me (related to a 20th-century BMX mishap). If one goes, I'll hobble around putting more weight on the other, then that goes as soon as the initial one is fine. As a result, I've been faffing about with a crutch since before Christmas to the point where I'm thinking 'Shit, is this it? I'm going to be like this until I die ... which is probably about two months away at this rate' :(

Brian Freeze

I'm getting increasingly reminded of the person who told Richard Herring that a better way to describe able bodied people is "not yet disabled".

Dex Sawash

bgmnts

If it helps i'm young and can't bend over (oo'er) without pain in my lower back. So its not age, you just haven't taken care of your body you useless fuck.

Mortimer

I have three bulging lumbar discs impinging on the sciatic nerve. Chronic mild/moderate pain for years, interspersed with acute episodes of agony.

I discovered IDD therapy a couple of years ago and it has made a massive difference. Unfortunately not available on the NHS, not cheap and there isn't a huge number of providers. I got lucky in that my own osteopath does it and he's only half a mile away.

You should discover IDD therapy, you should.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Mortimer on January 18, 2019, 03:51:08 AM
I have three bulging lumbar discs impinging on the sciatic nerve. Chronic mild/moderate pain for years, interspersed with acute episodes of agony.

I discovered IDD therapy a couple of years ago and it has made a massive difference. Unfortunately not available on the NHS, not cheap and there isn't a huge number of providers. I got lucky in that my own osteopath does it and he's only half a mile away.

You should discover IDD therapy, you should.

Been recommended it today.
And my insurance plan covers it!

It does look like a comfy rack though...

Sebastian Cobb

Thursday

Quote from: kngen on January 17, 2019, 01:53:40 PM
It's my ankles that do me (related to a 20th-century BMX mishap). If one goes, I'll hobble around putting more weight on the other, then that goes as soon as the initial one is fine. As a result, I've been faffing about with a crutch since before Christmas to the point where I'm thinking 'Shit, is this it? I'm going to be like this until I die ... which is probably about two months away at this rate' :(

I always have ankles and knee pain. I keep thinking it must be something to do with the way I sit at work all day, but I'm not really sure what I can do to improve things. I did also get some new shows recently. My old pair always felt a bit too big, and maybe it meant the way I walked was awkward, so I'm hoping that improves things, but it doesn't seem likely.

A bit of this should soon sort you out.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hWPuS6Q79Ik

I mean the deadlifts, not the person doing them.