Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:54:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nathan Barley - Episode Three

Started by Pienaar, February 25, 2005, 08:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Godzilla Bankrolls

Maybe Morris is satirising 6 Music. Watch out BBC7!

Quoterk! New trailer for episode 5 has appeared already.

http://trashbat.co.ck/movies/barley05_01_high.mov

What's she saying? "something something stopped menstruating"?

MrManson

She says "She's so coked up she's probably stopped menstuating"

Shit ad.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Quote from: "MrManson"She says "She's so coked up she's probably stopped menstuating"

Oh. Funn-ee. I thought it was some 'daring' joke about her being too young to menstruate at first, but instead it's just bleurgh.

MrManson

Not really very 'meow', is it?

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

I still want to know why Dan doesn't own a set of keys to his own office.

MrManson

How else could they set up that hilarious gag?

I rather do like the intercom gag, to be fair.

Hypnotron

QuoteI still want to know why Dan doesn't own a set of keys to his own office.

Yeah thats probably Brooker's fault, what a terrible lapse he made when he didnt put in the scene where we get an explanation of why Dan uses an intercom.

Pinpoint critical analysis, take no prisoners.

MrManson

Also, Barley uses iExplorer! That's not very 'down with kids' is it?

Rats

and they had the same bottom of the range sony dictaphone as me as well which costs about 7 quid so think on.

hansen mork

and would someone as cool as Nathan allow himself to walk around with that spot on his forehead for so many weeks?

j00t

Quote from: "MrManson"Also, Barley uses iExplorer! That's not very 'down with kids' is it?
Also did you notice that when Nathan hands Claire the laptop in the first episode it has a distinctive white Apple logo, but in the second episode the laptop that Dan picks up is a generic laptop?  

I think Nathan would use Safari and OS-X personally.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Surely, being retro-wankers, they should all be working on ZX Spectrums?

j00t

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Surely, being retro-wankers, they should all be working on ZX Spectrums?
Nah, that's substance, not style.  They'd have one but it would be a token.  The retro graphics actually being produced on high-end Macs.

Ambient Sheep

Sorry for the big posts that will follow, but I gave this thread a break after page 31 (not 71!) and have only just caught up with it.

Quote from: "alan strang"
Quote from: "Slackboy"Having said that it always struck me that if Brooker was getting a shag at the time it wouldn't have all bothered him so much.
Oof, that's more cynical than even I could manage!
:-)  One wonders though.  I loved that at the time, personally, having been there myself horizontal on that sofa once or twice, but yes, it did make me wonder.  And still does.

Quote from: "alan strang"I just don't happen to think the attacks put forward by Brooker are particularly valid or clever, content as they are to blame all the ills of the media on 'annoying people with gadgets whom you're forced to share a bus route with'.
That's reminds me of something else that's been subliminally bugging me up until now - would Barley really be taking the bus?  Even in London?  Surely he'd prefer some other cool mode of transport - but then they couldn't have shoe-horned in all the "pisses other people off" gags, I guess.

Likewise:
Quote from: "king_tubby"I've only just watched ep 3 (sorry) but  if Nathan is meant to be so 'down with the kids etc' why is there a big Spiritualized Electric Mainline poster in his flat? C'mon, 1990s or what? I don't get it.
No, that caught my eye as well.  I thought "what the fuck is he doing with that on his wall?".

Maybe Morris/Brooker don't approve of Jason Pierce's apparent glamorisation (according to some, I don't buy it) of heroin use, and thus have it as something Barley would have on his wall to be "yeah, well cool, smack addiction, well dusty".

Or maybe it's just a poster.

Quote from: "Neil"Oh yeah, with regards the trailer for episode 4...doesn't it seem curiously hypocritical/self-defeating to litter the background of a show with details which invite you to study them in greater depth, and to then insult the people who actually show an interest in them?
I have to say that I did find that amusing.  I like to think of it as affectionate (Morris being a "greatcoat" an' all), but maybe I'm wrong and I AM A NATHAN BARLEY DVD-PAUSING FUCKWIT!!!1111 etc. etc.

After all, he's had a go at the alleged pointlessness of DVD extras numerous times.  I think he *is* trying to tell us something.  ;-)

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Mediocre Rich"
Quote from: "Beagle 2"The thing is though, what's he meant to be representing, somebody who's mentally retarded?
I take him to be stoned the whole time so yes he is mentally retarded.
Well in that case why don't they SHOW him smoking spliffs?  Because to be honest I thought the same as Beagle - that he was just too stupid to work even in an office like that (and his mate with the Rubettes cap is even worse).  I know this has been discussed before re. the dullness just being an act by intelligent people, but watching it again he really is too "Duuuuuhhhhhh" to be credible.

It might just be credible if they were both stoned out of their boxes, but I'm afraid that without seeing them skin-up I just didn't get it.  (Cue cries of "well that's YOUR fault for needing everything spelt out for you, idiot".)

Quote from: "j00t"
Quote from: "amnion""Hydroponic sensimilla, colossally concentrated amounts of TCP"
Just replayed the start and you're right.
Yup, however what's notable is that the C4 subtitles said: "Hydroponic Saint Semilia...".  Now what I can't tell is whether that's what the script said (i.e. not only can Barley not get "THC" right, he can't get "sensimillia" right either!), or whether it was a fuck-up on the part of a non-drug-aware subtitler.  Barley's pronunciation could go either way.

Given that the line where Dan clearly says "Two thousand words, normal rate?" is subtitled as "Two thousands [sic] words normally, right?", I would suspect the second explanation, but it'd be nice to know for sure.

(Also Doug Rocket to Clare's "He'll sort out the paperwork and bob's your film" is subtitled as "...bob's your thumb", bizarrely.  It does actually sound a bit more like the latter, but surely the former is correct in context, it's just his accent.)